Chicago’s Apollo Chorus records Handel’s Messiah

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tgun5

Reaction score
The Apollo Chorus of Chicago
Handel's Complete Messiah
Clarion Records

Today I found the time to listen to a recording that The Apollo Chorus of Chicago did last Christmas – The Complete Handel Messiah. This 2-disc CD was given to me by my sister on a recent visit to Chicago and she was quite proud of it. She has been fortunate to be part of the chorus for a number of years and she was one of the people in charge of raising the capital needed to make this recording and the event possible. Between the soloist, recording, and orchestra fees, this CD cost over $35,000 to produce and the last I knew, they had not yet recouped their investment.

Many of you in Chicago already know that this chorus is the oldest all-volunteer chorus in the nation. They require tryouts each year to fill the 150 male and female roster. Founded in 1872 after the Great Chicago Fire it is one of the city’s most exciting and talked-about musical organizations. If you have ever attended one of their concerts, you can attest to their talent, powerful presentation, and incredible performances. These qualities have transferred well to the CD.

Being one that is generally not interested in “home brew” recordings, this one took me by surprise. Recorded by veteran Clarion Records, they have captured the majesty of this choir and brilliance of this Handel masterpiece. Many movements had me close to tears. The recording is very open and detailed and it is now one of my reference classical selections.

If you live in the Chicago area, get to your local music store a pick up a copy of this. Anyone else can order one from the website: http://www.apollochorus.org/

There are sample MP3's on the website.

Attachments

• Messiah_CD_Cover_LR.jpg
    Messiah_CD_Cover_LR.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back