View Poll Results: What is your most treasured component?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Logans of course!

60 60.00%
  • Analogue source

11 11.00%
  • Digital Source

1 1.00%
  • Preamp

6 6.00%
  • Power amp - or integrated

12 12.00%
  • Subwoofer

0 0%
  • An accessory (please specify)

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

10 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your most treasured component?

My Koetsu Rosewood - it has been a constant, and has given me much pleasure through a variety of turntables, arms, electronics, and speakers.

I was wishy/washy between the Logans or my preamp (or any other component). However, when I thought about it, I just really love my new preamp. Perhaps its new love or the honeymoon process, but with the sound this guy has given me, the musicality, and the flexibility of being a headphone amplifier, the Cary SLP-05 is my favorite piece at the moment.

The Summits have drained my wallet so much because of its ruthlessness and transparency, I'm beginning to think that the Logans don't necessarily like me.

Joey
    Joey "kid with grey hair" V
    System 1: Emm Labs TSDX Transport -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Cary SLP-05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp -> B&W 802D3, AQ WEL Power Cords, AQ WEL Speaker Wire, AQ Wind (reterminating to XLR)
    System 2: Rotel RA1592 Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    System 3: Rotel RC1570 Preamp -> Rotel RB1582 Stereo Amp -> B&W CM10s2 (ESL11a replacement??)

While my CLS are the only speakers I've ever kept, I love my Clearaudio table. It brings out the most in the vinyl and it just looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
    My Logans are treasured, but the Pass X250 is treasured just as much!
    Exactly, they are a very nice combination and I am so lucky to have them in my system.

The most treasured component is my wife. But sticking to matters audio, the most treasured "component" is the classical music collection I've put together over the last 35 years, and which is still growing - the 1500 legacy LPs and the approaching 5000 CDs/SACDs.

It has got to be my Martin Logans.. I fell in love with them the first time I auditioned them and each subsequent pair has been better and better. No matter how my system evolves, I have my music, my ears and Martin Logan will probably always be part of the equation.
    Martin Logan Vista, Grotto i, Vignette, Motion 4 ~ 2Chan: MacBook Air via USB & Oppo BDP-83 -To- Rega DAC -To- Rotel RSX-1560 AVR ~
    http://www.martinloganowners.com/~td...ead.php?t=1795

Non componet- Music
    Componet - Thorens TD 125 MKII/Shure SME 3009 II, bought used with my hard earned $$ in High School 1978, it's be through 6 or 7 house moves across the country 3 times. 8 cars, 7 or 8 cartridges, 5 S/O's and it's still in my main system. I know I could get a slightly better TT/arm, but it's my baby!! All I done is a few sips of oil and a fresh belt every 2 years. I've re-dailed in the suspension maybe twice (probably needs another go about now).

close second is a Sanyo Plus Series A35 integrated amp, first new componet I bought 1979. Has a sticker on the bottom 'built 8/10/79' *my birthday month and day!! Great sounding little amp, I use as a headphone amp for my AKG K 601's.
    Cogito Ergo Zoom!
    20 goes into 80, a hellava lot more than 80 goes into 20 ~ The late, great, Sophie Tucker
    Thorens 125 TD MK II /SME 3009 II /Shure V15 special tracking, Teac V8000S, Denon DN 790R cassette, Teac A-3340 RtR decks, Onix CD-2
    Sumo Electra Plus > SAE A1001 > Summits

Huh, thats a tough one. My main music system only has three components all of which I like a lot. So, I'll have to say my JBL Century L-100's, now a part of my office system. What can you say about a pair of speakers that cost more than a new car in their day, fit on a (large) bookshelf, were the de facto reference studio monitor for almost everything recorded between the late 50's and mid-70's, take whatever kind of power you throw at them, and 50 years later still kick butt? Often copied but never duplicated. I had ad pages of these speakers on my bedroom wall when I was too young to afford them.

I would have to call a lot of old Girl friends, a lot of what I got rid of from 1975 to now

Most treasured = CLX

My Krell TAS (Theater Amplifier Standard) Amp.

Smile Quad, where it all began

I had to think about this, so many close runner ups.......but I still think it is the couple of pairs of Quad ESL57s that I cannot bear to part with.

The reason we are all here on this forum is Martin Logan's take on electrostatics, however, for me, the love affair really started with these.

The first thing I did when arriving in the UK mid eighties on my OE (overseas experience) was head for the Quad factory in Huntingdon. Low and behold, it was a public holiday but the receptionist let me in and 'enquired', soon old man Peter Walker showed up and took me around. He showed me the first handmade trestle he used to tension the static panels over with enormous pride and to think he was doing this in the late fifties!

For a naive kiwi from the other side of the world, it was like 'going to the mountain'.

He was such a down to earth pragmatist and yet he has changed the way we all listen to our music on this forum, it is his DNA that has inspired others like Gayle Sanders to improve what he showed could be done commercially.

There you go, I feel better now!

Fjeff
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/r...our3again.html
    Last edited by Krazikiwi; 06-24-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    Michell Gyrodec, SME 309 & V, EAD DAC & Transport, Sony XA777ES SACD, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Jeff Rowland Consummate pre amp & 2x phonos with 2x Model 8 power amps, ML Quest z's virtically bi-amped. Cardas Hexlink Golden 5-C balanced.
    JRDG System Sony 5.1 HIFI & HT System
    Burmester System QUAD System

Love the Logans of course, but the Clearaudio TT is a thing of beauty!!

Doug - out

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetDoug View Post
    Love the Logans of course, but the Clearaudio TT is a thing of beauty!!

Doug - out
    Roger That!

Quote Originally Posted by Krazikiwi View Post
    I had to think about this, so many close runner ups.......but I still think it is the couple of pairs of Quad ESL57s that I cannot bear to part with.

Fjeff
    Jeff,

If you can't part with them, why don't you stack them and compare them with your ML's?

BTW are you going through an identity crisis? You sometimes sign off as "Fjeff" and sometimes as "Jeff". Is the "F" an expletive you sometimes delete ?

BTW do buy the Xiomara Laugart "La Voz" CD.