Plant closes down

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been trough a plant closing in my life and it's not the end of the world. It caused me to make some of the best decisions of my life.

It first got me out of the horrible dead end job I was working for 20 years in a machine shop. I went from living in Wisconsin (nice place, crappy weather) to moving to Tucson. When I moved to Tucson I tried to get work (no degree) and did some other terrible jobs. One day I woke up and started my own maintenance/cleaning business. Now it has morphed into a small construction business. Yeah I work a lot but it affords me things I never could have dreamed of back in Wisconsin.

Six months is a long time. You will land on your feet. Good Luck!!!

I got a bit of bad news today, my factory which employs 70 people has been scheduled to close down. Michelin announced that the Mogadore operations will be shut down by October 2007. So basically I have 6 months to find another job. To make it even worse my father works in the same plant as I do. The good news is that I am healthy and have a very positive outlook on the future so the only thing that can be done is to deal with it. I am sure I will have to make some hard decisions in the next couple of months (Logan firesale:confused: ) but everything will work out in the end. Alright friends, thats all the bad news I have for today, sorry for the downer.

Zach.... pull through my friend. I hope for the best in your situation! Keep the MLs, unless you really have to let them go. Keep at it and find your way again!

So, my hopes and prayers are that it will all come back through faith and the wonders of Pharmaceuticals. For the doctors in the audience, the reference was to Belles Palsey as the related syndrome that you might be more familiar with or at least able to put a name to...

Bell's Palsy is mostly self-limited and usually resolves within 2 weeks. I had a patient with a variant of BP, called Ramsey Hunt Syndrome, and his went away in 3 weeks.

I hope for the best for you..... good luck, James! And get back to enjoying your MLs and MBLs!

Bell's Palsy is mostly self-limited and usually resolves within 2 weeks. I had a patient with a variant of BP, called Ramsey Hunt Syndrome, and his went away in 3 weeks.

I hope for the best for you..... good luck, James! And get back to enjoying your MLs and MBLs!

I like your diagnosis doctor. I have seen folks w/ BP that lasted MONTHS! It maybe that they caught it fairly late in the game before steroid and antiviral TX and that might have been the problem. I hope since we got to cracking on this pretty quickly (about 4 days) that I will have a good outcome. No change today, but it is less than 24 hours of full TX too...

Thanks for the positive thoughts and prayers. No more bad stuff for ANYONE in our little online family now for the REST OF THE YEAR OK?!! :D

Aerius007
I'm a firm believer that all things happen for a reason; so your job loss will just appear in a snap shot of a moment in your life that in say five years will not matter.

Pcar928fan
I have a good appreciation for the situtation of those that have tinnitus and/or hearing loss. I have a diease called NF2, a diease that attacks the central nervous system. The hallmark of this diease is bilateral acoustic neuromas and/or vestibular schwannomas.

Like a ray of sunshine
Adrian

Aerius007
I'm a firm believer that all things happen for a reason; so your job loss will just appear in a snap shot of a moment in your life that in say five years will not matter.

Pcar928fan
I have a good appreciation for the situtation of those that have tinnitus and/or hearing loss. I have a diease called NF2, a diease that attacks the central nervous system. The hallmark of this diease is bilateral acoustic neuromas and/or vestibular schwannomas.

Like a ray of sunshine
Adrian
Adrian,

I've also had a patient with NF2... I hope that youre living with yours well.

Best wishes to all.... no more bad news...

Joey

Like a ray of sunshine
Adrian

YEOWZA! I'll keep what I have and pray that you are healed or at the very least maintained and that you continue to be able to enjoy your ML's!

Ideas on the job search

Sorry to hear about your job, but as you mentioned, your positive attitude will carry you through. As Nietzsche famously said – whatever does not kill you, will make you stronger. As others mentioned in their posts, after a transition, they have come out better.

Unfortunately, your industry is transforming, and there is a lot of turmoil. However, the national economy is pretty strong right now. The country is pretty much at full employment. The latest unemployment numbers are 4.5 or 4.6% nationwide. I recently changed jobs and it took me 2 months of serious looking to find a new one. Additionally, employment at big companies is shrinking. Because big companies do not know how to innovate and grow, they manage by the numbers and cut people and expenses instead. Small and entrepreneurial companies, however, are the ones that are creating the vast majority jobs. Can your skills transfer to smaller firms?

In terms of search advice, the key is not to get stuck in only one method of finding work – i.e. only job ads, or only internet, or only networking. It’s just a numbers game. There are job openings. The more times you get up to bat, the more hits you will get. Talk to as many people as you can – call everyone you know and who they know and who they know, etc., answer ads newspapers, find companies you want to work for and contact them, and look on the Internet to increase your percentages.

Another excellent job search book in addition to What Color is your Parachute is Cool Careers for Dummies. It takes you through various tactics of finding a new position. Many libraries have both books.

Best of luck to you,

David

Thanks to everyone for their positive encouragement. It helps to keep a great outlook and yes, I will land on my feet. To anyone that is looking for an almost broken in pair of Vantages, good luck on audiogon. I have no intentions of selling mine anytime soon:D .

I like your diagnosis doctor. I have seen folks w/ BP that lasted MONTHS! It maybe that they caught it fairly late in the game before steroid and antiviral TX and that might have been the problem. I hope since we got to cracking on this pretty quickly (about 4 days) that I will have a good outcome. No change today, but it is less than 24 hours of full TX too...

Thanks for the positive thoughts and prayers. No more bad stuff for ANYONE in our little online family now for the REST OF THE YEAR OK?!! :D

I hope you are getting better by now James. I'm sure your doctor has already asked about this but are you a diet soda drinker? Aspartame poisoning is becoming a leading culprit in hearing loss and tinnitus. It seems that at higher temps (when folks are most likely to drink more soda) consumption of aspartame can lead to methanol accumulation and lead to hearing loss, blindness, tinnitus and motor problems. Good luck.

You might be able to mitigate it if you get tested for vitamin and mineral deficiencies ... I had pretty bad tinnitus but as it turns out it was largely due to food allergies that were inhibiting absorption of minerals and vitamins that caused all sorts of inflammation issues throughout my body.

I know it sounds hokey but it went away :)

Charliemike,

Glad you got rid of yours. Thanks for the advice. I will get myself tested and see what turns up. But understand age is a factor.

Manufacturing in Ohio and Michigan is getting hit hard, this is what it must of been like in England at the end of the Industrial Revolution, or early 1960's. It's never coming back, it will never be the same.

It took my wife over a year to get a new job (laid off from Ford), I hope you have better luck. She is making less now than before, and no medical insurance all that time either.

Went to the old hood Friday............................almost nothing left of the once mighty Ford Rouge Plant.

F11176574358.jpg
F21176574372.jpg
F31176574383.jpg

Last edited:
Back