Plant closes down

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerius007

Reaction score
I got a bit of bad news today, my factory which employs 70 people has been scheduled to close down. Michelin announced that the Mogadore operations will be shut down by October 2007. So basically I have 6 months to find another job. To make it even worse my father works in the same plant as I do. The good news is that I am healthy and have a very positive outlook on the future so the only thing that can be done is to deal with it. I am sure I will have to make some hard decisions in the next couple of months (Logan firesale:confused: ) but everything will work out in the end. Alright friends, thats all the bad news I have for today, sorry for the downer.

Sorry to hear this news. How is the job market in general in your area? Do you think it'll be easy to get another job?

The job market isnt that great, looking in the paper can be really depressing if you need a job. I do have an offer on the table to work at the ML dealer here in the area, Audio Visions. Not having a degree is going to kill me, let this be a lesson to any of the young people here on this site. I thought everything was fine and all of the sudden it all gets flipped upside down. Go to school and finish.

I wish things like this didn't have to happen.

The auto industry going through some terrible times right now. My company (safety restraints) just laid off 8% of their North and South American work force. Luckily, I wasn't affected, but I'm friends with some that were. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

2 of the 3 bad

I feel your pain.... I was all set to go into a new job on wednesday morning, which actually would have helped me acquire all of my audio needs...at least at a discount. Then some stupid problems arise, and even though the tax forms and all the other required paperwork has been completed and filed, I receive a phone call saying that something has come up and I am not needed to come into the store on wednesday.... My employment has been put onto a hiatus.

You can probably guess what company this is for.

Any lawyers out there have any tips for me? Are they even in the right to tell me I cannot work for them anymore?

Oh well.

With your bad news and my bad news, there only needs to be 1 more event to finish this string of baddies. *bad news comes in 3's remember*

For what it's worth, I personally appreciate a lot that you all took the time to share the bad news with us - it's a sign that our club is more than a mere ML club - it's a friendship comunity.

Not that it does not happen over here in Europe, but in my opinion the way it happens in the US borders cruelty and shows a total indifference to people's lifes, personalities and values. It's a system with no memory - it does not count that you did well for years, only the present moment counts. And many decisions are taken merely on opportunities and figures, totally ignoring the human factors. Anyway, Zach, 6 months is a long period of time and I really hope that you will be able to find something interesting and rewarding in these months...

Funny I found out about it at 3:30pm. I did a google search for "Michelin Mogadore close" and it was posted on forbes.com at 1:24.

I'm sorry to hear it aerius. :( I wish you, your family, and all of your coworkers the best.

Hang in there Aerius.
Good news is you've got 6 months to find another job.
I have a feeling something better is in store for you.

I know how you feel.
9 years ago I lost my job with a company I worked at for 20 years.
I landed a much better and better paying job. And my previous expierence
at my last job helped me out perform people at my new job and opportunities opened up quickly for me.

It's an opportunity to explore things you might not have otherwise tried.
If you have the mindset that better things are to come, THEY WILL

Good Luck
and keep us updated.

it does not count that you did well for years, only the present moment counts. And many decisions are taken merely on opportunities and figures, totally ignoring the human factors.

Lugano,

I am in BIG Pharma sales and I can tell you it is NEVER look at how good you have done all these years, it IS what have you done for me lately, or even more to the point, TODAY! Big business is big business and the worker in most cases is looked at as disposable or even worse a LIABILITY! It is sad to see things have gone this way over the years. Once upon a time loyalty and work ethic had value. Not anymore.

Ok, friends here is your 3rd bit of bad news.

I may no longer be an "audiophile" so to speak because I woke up Monday AM and had/have lost most of the hearing in my left ear. Can't tell you how bad this SUCKS! Though anyone on this list can certainly appreciate how much we use, rely on, and ENJOY our ears. I have lost all low freq. hearing in the left ear and what remains is compressed, distorted, echoey. I didn't even get to enjoy my MBL 101's...

There is some hope that the Valtrex and the medrol dose pack will work, but frankly I have sold drugs and been around doctors for YEARS and I could tell by the ENT's response and that of the audiologist that this frankly does not look good. I guess the good thing about the herpetic nerve infections is that they don't tend to get worse... What is gone is gone but you won't loose more and you might even get some/all of this back.

So, my hopes and prayers are that it will all come back through faith and the wonders of Pharmaceuticals. For the doctors in the audience, the reference was to Belles Palsey as the related syndrome that you might be more familiar with or at least able to put a name to...

I got a bit of bad news today, my factory which employs 70 people has been scheduled to close down. Michelin announced that the Mogadore operations will be shut down by October 2007. So basically I have 6 months to find another job. To make it even worse my father works in the same plant as I do. The good news is that I am healthy and have a very positive outlook on the future so the only thing that can be done is to deal with it. I am sure I will have to make some hard decisions in the next couple of months (Logan firesale:confused: ) but everything will work out in the end. Alright friends, thats all the bad news I have for today, sorry for the downer.

If you have the time, make sure you read the book, "What Color is Your Parachute." It's loaded with great tips about landing a job. As long as you are proactive and ambitious, you will find another job. Many believe that submitting resumes online works (news flash: it doesn't). You need to be aggressive and view each day as opportunity to call and speak to new employers.

Stay focused and even tempered. You'll get another job soon enough.

Erik

Sorry to hear the bad news. However, looking back at all my career changes over the years, EVERY single move, whether by choice or forced by circumstance, always turned out to be an ultimately better opportunity for me. Sometimes it takes one door closing to let another open! Good luck with the search.

.... So basically I have 6 months to find another job. To make it even worse my father works in the same plant as I do. The good news is that I am healthy and have a very positive outlook on the future so the only thing that can be done is to deal with it. I am sure I will have to make some hard decisions in the next couple of months (Logan firesale:confused: ) but everything will work out in the end.

Aerius,

So sorry to hear of your problem. Good to know you have a very positive outlook though. Not much point worrying, is there? It's going to happen, and worrying won't make it go away. So look on the brighter side of the situation, like landing a better paying, more satisfying job. Like Maria von Trapp says, 'When the Lord closes the door, somewhere he opens a window.'

We'll be rooting for you.

I may no longer be an "audiophile" so to speak because I woke up Monday AM and had/have lost most of the hearing in my left ear. Can't tell you how bad this SUCKS! Though anyone on this list can certainly appreciate how much we use, rely on, and ENJOY our ears. I have lost all low freq. hearing in the left ear and what remains is compressed, distorted, echoey. I didn't even get to enjoy my MBL 101's...

James,

Doc just confirm last week I have tinnitus. My enjoyment of music is now peppered with cricket chirping sounds.

Lugano,

I am in BIG Pharma sales and I can tell you it is NEVER look at how good you have done all these years, it IS what have you done for me lately, or even more to the point, TODAY! Big business is big business and the worker in most cases is looked at as disposable or even worse a LIABILITY! It is sad to see things have gone this way over the years. Once upon a time loyalty and work ethic had value. Not anymore.

There is some hope that the Valtrex and the medrol dose pack will work, but frankly I have sold drugs and been around doctors for YEARS and I could tell by the ENT's response and that of the audiologist that this frankly does not look good. I guess the good thing about the herpetic nerve infections is that they don't tend to get worse... What is gone is gone but you won't loose more and you might even get some/all of this back.

So, my hopes and prayers are that it will all come back through faith and the wonders of Pharmaceuticals. For the doctors in the audience, the reference was to Belles Palsey as the related syndrome that you might be more familiar with or at least able to put a name to...

James I am sorry about your condition. Hopefully it will improve. My wife has hearing loss in one ear but is still able to enjoy music. A reviewer for one of the mainstream audio publications lost all hearing in one ear, but was still able to review audio gear and write very credible (and right on) reviews. All is not lost.

I am sorry for you and your family. Perhaps this will lead to a better opportunity. I have been reading elsewhere about these difficult economic times. I do think as a nation we need to pay more attention to homeland issues and less attention to international issues. I apologize for the interjection of politics into the site.

Zach, Sorry to hear of the bad news, I too hope that in the coming months BETTER opportunities will await you. You did mention a couple of key factors in your favor....good health and positive attitude !

Lugano,

Whoa... prayers and good wishes go out to you my friend... keep us informed on progress... enjoy the new TV in your HT while you and your doctors look for a cure for your hearing...

Zach, Sorry to hear of the bad news, I too hope that in the coming months BETTER opportunities will await you. You did mention a couple of key factors in your favor....good health and positive attitude !

I agree... the majority of times I have seen that new opportunities pop up and most find the new gig better than the old... I know the auto industry is under pressure right now... but companies are always looking for good honest hard workers.

Good luck to all in the job search.

James,

Doc just confirm last week I have tinnitus. My enjoyment of music is now peppered with cricket chirping sounds.

You might be able to mitigate it if you get tested for vitamin and mineral deficiencies ... I had pretty bad tinnitus but as it turns out it was largely due to food allergies that were inhibiting absorption of minerals and vitamins that caused all sorts of inflammation issues throughout my body.

I know it sounds hokey but it went away :)

Back