What if Joshua Bell played incognito for spare change?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago, I used to get off at that Station to go to work. It was not unusal to see someone there playing an instrument - usually in the evening as compared to morning.

Dan

Captain - I read your comments and completely agree with you. Given the context . . . .

- that the performance was in a subway station

- that those in the area are rushing to get to work

- that most people are doing their best to avoid paying attention so they won't feel obligated to make an offering

. . . . I am not surprised at all that he was largely ignored.

I wonder what would have happened if this person was a Pop star, much younger in age, or an artist that is geared to the younger crowd????

I have seen people play many times in the Metro (Subway) here, and most of the time they are ignored, just like Mr Bell. The ones that really seem to make more money stand outside on the sidewalks and not right outside the escalators or entrance.

Dan

Last edited:
"He was, in short, art without a frame. Which, it turns out, may have a lot to do with what happened -- or, more precisely, what didn't happen -- on January 12."

How true, and how dangerous it is when we listen to the sound and not to the music....

When I worked downtown in DC, I used to get off at the DOT metro stop, and in the warmer months, there was usually a guy there in the evenings )and sometimes in the mornings) playing saxophone. I am a sax player, and so I noticed him, and unless I was running late, I would always drop some money in his case, and tell him "thanks" for making my communte more enjoyable.

We talked often, and as it turned out, he was actually a pretty successful "session" musician in the DC music scene, and often played at places like Blues Alley, or several of the recording studios in the area. He had a beautifully patina'd 1950's era Selmer alto sax, and he knew just about every song in the world, I think. He played everyting from seasonal tunes, to jazz, to popular tunes, and even belted out some very well-done classical now and then. The day I heard him playing a Mozart piece, I dropped him a fiver, and knodded my head and said, "ah, Mozart". I dont know if he got more of a kick from the money, or the fact that I recognized his music...

One day, in early October, I was on my way home, and because it was my birthday, I had a package of some sort under my arm. He asked me why I was carrying a present, and I said it was my birthday. He then said "oh, same day as John Lennon, huh?", and proceeded to play me a medley of Lenon tunes, finishing off with "the traditional veersion of Happy Birthday. That day, he got a 10-spot... :)

I always take time to notice (and reward) good street musicians. The world needs more beauty in it, and these folks are too few.

Live music rules! Even if it is just one guy in a metro station belting out some standards.

--Richard

When I worked downtown in DC, I used to get off at the DOT metro stop, and in the warmer months, there was usually a guy there in the evenings )and sometimes in the mornings) playing saxophone. I am a sax player, and so I noticed him, and unless I was running late, I would always drop some money in his case, and tell him "thanks" for making my communte more enjoyable.
Was he Afro-American with long hair, maybe dreads???? It has been over 10 years since I worked downtown, but I always remember him playing. His Sax was not gleaming or shiny, but sort of dull looking??? If it is the same person, I saw and heard this person play many times at the stop, and sounded quite proficient.

Dan

Dan,

Yes, I think, from your description, that it was the same guy. In the summer he always wore a light-colored suit (linen, or maybe seersucker), and he sometimes wore a white straw panama hat. Very cool cat, and he could blow some awesome tunes...

At that time, I was playing in a little "alternative" band, and sometimes I took my tenor sax to work, because we'd have practices right after work, and I didn't have time to go al the way home. He saw it once, and asked if I played, and when I said yes, he asked if I wanted to jam with him. I took out the tenor, and tried my best to keep up with him, but he was just soooo good that it was tough. It was a fun, but very humbling experience.

--Richard

Back