Corner Boom

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Physics 101

Kevin said:
Ok whatever you say. I guess nice dense sound absorbing cork will not do anything?

Sorry, I have to agree with garmtz, thin cork will do nothing to change the way the bass frequencies interact with the room. This is a simple question of physics. Soundwaves that are larger than the objects they encounter ignore that object, soundwaves that are smaller than the objects they encounter are blocked, or refracted, or reflected by that object, thus edge diffraction from tweeters but not from woofers, the bass waves just wrap around the cabinet whilst the high frequencies, which are smaller than the cabinet edge, are modified by it.

Kevin said:
Ok whatever you say. I guess nice dense sound absorbing cork will not do anything?

Like Risabet says, it will do nothing to the bass. It might damp some high frequencies though, resulting in more bass... :)

A 200 Hz tone have a wavelength of almost 6 feet. The sheet of cork will literally be invisible for this wave.

Kevin said:
Depends on the wall. I can not see dry wall adding that much, maybe if your walls were thick dense cement.

9db is an average. At some bass frequencies it could be more at the listening position. This is especially common at sub 50 hz frequencies when you're dealing with a long room.

It is amusing to see that you have recommended sheets of cork to dampen his mids and highs only to make the bass sound even more pronounced.

Summit with +-50 Hz control and +- 25Hz control...

Hola Barbados. Well something did to me the new Summit, and it is for the first time, to have controls of the standing waves of any room. You are right when you say that typically some notes around 50Hz are more (+9 dB) evident. Whith the controls of these unwanted frequencies, we can have better, much better bass...like the instrument there...in your own room! I think that the ML team has done their homework with a fine product like the Summit. I hope that soon there will be a version wihout the powered woofers...but I don't know how you can do it after the amplifier's woofer.
Good advise Barbados,
happy listening,
Roberto.

A 200 Hz tone have a wavelength of almost 6 feet. The sheet of cork will literally be invisible for this wave.
It is amusing to see that you have recommended sheets of cork to dampen his mids and highs only to make the bass sound even more pronounced.

So what about a system in a basement? Were you have 50 feet of dirt to absorb the bass frequencies?

Kevin said:
So what about a system in a basement? Were you have 50 feet of dirt to absorb the bass frequencies?

Kevin, usually there is a concrete slab cast on top of some kind of compacted substrate/aggregate on top of the clay or bedrock.

If you were to have a suspended wood floor (built a certain way) over "dirt" with a good space in between that would indeed absorb some bass. Not necessarily so much because of the dirt as it would be because of the sound trapping void between the floor and the dirt. That kind of floor sounds great with those old Quad ESLs and ESL 63s because it adds some meat to bass in some places too :p

Kevin said:

It doesn't matter how many feet of dirt, brick, drywall whatever you have to 'absorb' the bass... Standing waves are there because of bounderies. If you don't want those, suspend your speakers in open air. I not sure that will sound very good however... :) Bass aborbers exist in the form of bass traps, but these will not solve standing waves, will only take some energy out of them to make their impact less disturbing.

You should try to learn the basics of room acoustics first...

Kevin said:

At some point one is just being hard-headed by belaboring a point. The only factors that affect standing waves are boundaries, not how thick, massive, or dense they are. This is simple acoustics and should be perfectly clear by now. Do some research on the subject and you'll discover that the we aren't making this up!

First we started talking about the "corner" in a room then it was the side walls and now the floor. Can we stick with one part of the room and solve that first then move onto the other parts.

Second, how many people have actually had problems with lower frequency bass waves in their room? When I changed my system to a different room whose measurements are totally different I had no problems and the system sounded identical.

Kevin said:
First we started talking about the "corner" in a room then it was the side walls and now the floor. Can we stick with one part of the room and solve that first then move onto the other parts.

Second, how many people have actually had problems with lower frequency bass waves in their room? When I changed my system to a different room whose measurements are totally different I had no problems and the system sounded identical.

Isn't a corner simply the intersection of the floor (or ceiling), rear wall, and side wall, so we started talking about corners and we ended up talking about corners.

Actually we were writing about ARCVT100's boomy bass with his
Ascent in a corner.

Your system sounded <b>no different</b>, you're one lucky man.

Don't argue with him guys. It's pointless. He doesn't believe in silly things like science and math and facts.

Bonedust said:
Don't argue with him guys. It's pointless. He doesn't believe in silly things like science and math and facts.

But it's entertaining :p and in other threads people are slow to reply :cool:

No I am the one who backs everything with math. You think every little thing that you change in your system makes a huge difference yet you have no proof to back it up.

Actually we were writing about ARCVT100's boomy bass with his
Ascent in a corner.

That is what I meant.

Your system sounded no different, you're one lucky man.

Well how many people are running insulation in there walls. I live in canada so my walls are packed tight with it.

But it's entertaining

No I have never had this problem so I have never researched it.

Back