$2500 budget...Need Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all,

As you know, i have been holding off on an amp for my system (see signature; Vantages, Stage, Vignettes, Grotto, & Denon AVR) for a while now. However, my wife is letting me use half of my tax return for an amp...she's a wonderful woman!:) So, with $2500 budget, what is the best amp i can get for my 5-channel system...my main concern is about my front 3 speakers. My brother has Sunfire, which i like. I looked into Anthem A5, but it's a bit too big. The other criteria is size...i need it to be as small as possible to fit on my rack...but again, performance is main thing, i can make it fit one way or another! Oh yeah, i want NEW amp, not used.

Thanks all.:rocker:

Last edited:
How is the Krell Showcase 5 amp??

Last edited:
The showcase is 250 watts into 4 ohms iirc, and way over $2500.I think the retail was $4500ish for the 5 channel. If you're willing to spend that much, IMO its better to go with the kav 3250. Thats 500 watts into 4 ohms at $5k but only 3 channels. Let the denon handle the rears. But this is all way over your stated budget.

You might take a look at the rotel 1095. Its $2000 retail and 330 watts into 4 ohms. I was thinking of getting one of these but eventually decided against it.

http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rmb1095.htm

Another thing to check out is outlaw audio. The 7500 is 300 watts into 4 ohms and $1600 retail.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7500.html

Definitely, $4k is too much. Thanks.

The Rotel is definitely too tall for my rack.

Definately check out the outlaw. Its about half the height of the rotel according to the specs. I've heard the showcase (on vistas) and the rotel (on B&Ws), but not the outlaw. I have read lots of good things about it, and seriously considered it (I went with the KAV 3250 in the end).

Movies or Music ? I see a few Cary Amps on audiogon that would

probably fit your criteria. I have found that used amps are usually a great

purchase because they can usually be resold at little cost if you don't like.

I have a Sunfire Cinema Grand Arch. Version II that is awesome for

movies. (225 x 5) Purchased used you can get this and similar sunfires

well under your budget. Good Luck and be patient.

I second the recommendation that you consider Outlaw. They have great products for reasonable prices. If I was buying new in your price range I would strongly consider them. I also second the recommendation for Sunfire. Their amps match really well with Martin Logans, they have lots of power with small size and low heat output. They can be had very reasonable prices used. You can get a Sunfire 400 wpc x 5 channels for under $2,000 on Audiogon.

Along these lines, I highly recommend you re-consider buying new vs. used. A well built amplifier will last a long time and you can get used ones in great shape that are maybe a year or two old and you won't know the difference from new. I got my dealer demo Pass Labs amp for much less than new and I can't tell the difference from a brand new one.

Agreed on used. What you're basically saying is, I'm going to pay twice as much for something that has 10% more life. It makes changing your mind MUCH more expensive, as you basically lose half your money on every change in equipment.

Outlaw gets my recommendation as well. The are internet direct, so are much cheaper new than comparable products. Not sure what the used prices are though...

I would generally say, if you do much 2ch listening at all, that you get a better 2ch amp for the front two, and then a 5ch amp of lower quality to power your surrounds. It's just more cost effective that way.

Anthem Statement A5 is around $2500 if I'm not mistaken. Doesn't quite have the brute force of the P5, but definitely has the finesse. A used Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature can be had for that and it's 400x5 into 8 ohm. I have the 7 channel version and have been very pleased.

Thai,
Here are a few issues you'll need to re-consider first before embarking on your search for the amplifier. Regardless of which amplifiers you're looking at, I think you will still use your Denon as the pre-amp/processor, correct? If that was the case, space is still an issue with your current rack and you'll need to allocate space for the incoming amplifier anyways :( Once you solve your space issue, it will open up the size limitation of your amplifier. Also, assuming that you will still use the Denon as a pre-amp/processor unit, why not make use of the internal amplifier modules for now and look for a good quality 2-channel amplifier for the Vantage(s)? For example, there are a couple of Pass X250 on A'Gon for around $2500 budget. I also noticed a bunch of BAT VK500 and several Classe' on A'gon as well. Not to mention countless of Krell, Threshold, Parasound, Proceed, etc...

Good luck
Spike

Well, my Vantages and Stage will need to be powered by a separate amp because of their low impedance. I will still use my Denon as pre-amplifier. I prefer to have an amp to power all my speakers rather than separate it out.

Oh yeah, to everyone in this thread, thank you so much for giving me valuable advice. I'm now more open to used amps.

Question: would the Sunfire 200 x 5 be enough for my speakers?? It is 200 x 5 at 8 ohms and double down as you go down.

Well, my Vantages and Stage will need to be powered by a separate amp because of their low impedance. I will still use my Denon as pre-amplifier. I prefer to have an amp to power all my speakers rather than separate it out.

Oh yeah, to everyone in this thread, thank you so much for giving me valuable advice. I'm now more open to used amps.

Question: would the Sunfire 200 x 5 be enough for my speakers?? It is 200 x 5 at 8 ohms and double down as you go down.

Hey, great thread Thai. Im going to piggy back on the help you are receiving :p
I haven't heard the Outlaws, but Ive been leaning towards them (for when I get my ML's. Man, this requires patience). A couple of cool things about this brand is that you have a free trial period, even if you pay for return shipping. Also, unusually, the 5yr warranty is transferrable. This makes buying used much more palatable. This being the case, the newer Outlaws hardly last a minute on the classifieds. If you ever were unsatisfied or wanted to upgrade yet again, I'd bet you could do so rather easily.

I've heard the other amps mentioned for the most part, but only the Krell on ML's. They are known to have an "analytical" quality. Rotels, I believe, have a "grainier" quality. Sunfires are always recommended here, and from cruising these threads, I would really love to hear a Pass Labs. Too much money surely, but I'd want to know what I'm missing out on . . . Anyways, keep it up, I'll be watching :D

I am in the process of working out a deal with a distributor of Sunfire Amps...new Sunfire TGA-5400 for about $3150. Now, i have to wait for my tax refund to officially make it to my account before dealing further.:p

Hey all,

However, my wife is letting me use half of my tax return for an amp...she's a wonderful woman!:)

Shouldn't that be: "My WIFE AND I decided to use half of OUR tax refund for an amp?"

Your way sounds bad =D

Anyway, buying NEW severely limits your options. By far your best bang for the buck will be used. And amplifiers are one of the best pieces of gear to buy used. They hardly ever break. They don't become technically obsolete. Allen's rule is to always buy amps used.

-Allen

Last edited:
I am in the process of working out a deal with a distributor of Sunfire Amps...new Sunfire TGA-5400 for about $3150. Now, i have to wait for my tax refund to officially make it to my account before dealing further.:p

Check for a used Sunfire Cinema Grand. They are the same amp as the 5400 and go for about $1500 on audiogon or you can get the Signature model which is 400w @ 8 ohm (800 @ 4) for about the same cost as a new 5400.

Hey all,

However, my wife is letting me use half of my tax return for an amp...she's a wonderful woman!:) rocker:

She's LETTING you use half of YOUR tax return money !!!!!! Well I guess we know who wears the pants in your household !!

It takes 'larges ones' to admitt that, so for that I give you credit.

With respect to amps, I say look towards the "Gon"

Back