Pass Labs V Cary

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonds

Reaction score
Hi -

I have two options for a new amp and pre set up for my son. What do you all think?

Pass Labs x150.5/Pass Labs x2.5
Cary CAD 200/Cary SLP03

Associated Electronics:
Acoustic Zen Adagio
Esoteric SA 60
Music Hall 7.1
Jolida Phono Pre

You guys/gals are always honest and a good reference point.

Thanks!
D

I have two options for a new amp and pre set up for my son. What do you all think?

Pass Labs x150.5/Pass Labs x2.5
Cary CAD 200/Cary SLP03

Only two options? :confused:

What about a Pass Labs x-150.5 amp mated with the Cary SLP03 preamp? You get the dynamics of the solid state Pass combined with the warmth and liquidity of the tubed Cary pre. Sounds like a nice match. I know my x-350.5 is pairing nicely with my conrad johnson tubed pre. Just a thought.

What about a Pass Labs x-150.5 amp mated with the Cary SLP03 preamp? You get the dynamics of the solid state Pass combined with the warmth and liquidity of the tubed Cary pre. Sounds like a nice match. I know my x-350.5 is pairing nicely with my conrad johnson tubed pre. Just a thought.

Something to think about for sure. I wish we could afford an x250.5 but oh well...in due time...

Diamonds,

I wish my Dad built me a system...

Anyway, I have no opinion of your gear... as I have not heard either sets in that particular combo. I will say that I vouch for Cary gear... but perhaps instead of the CAD200, you can get the CAD120s?

Joey

Diamonds,

I wish my Dad built me a system...

Anyway, I have no opinion of your gear... as I have not heard either sets in that particular combo. I will say that I vouch for Cary gear... but perhaps instead of the CAD200, you can get the CAD120s?

Joey

As we know this stuff is expensive so I give him a hand with the financial part of it. It is also a nice bonding tool for him and I so it's worth it!!! Besides he gets now or when I die so whats the difference. ;)

I looked at the CAD120 and we not sure about tubes.

I went ahead and bought a x150.5 and a x2.5. I am excited to hear it.

And a very good thought - my valve Copland pre is a very nice pairing with my Classé CA-101.

Nice!

I went ahead and bought a x150.5 and a x2.5. I am excited to hear it.

As much as I am a Cary fan, I think that the X2.5/X150.5 combination is much more musical than the Cary CAD 200/Cary SLP03 combo. To beat the Pass combo you'll need to get to the Cary SLP-98 pre-amp, matching with some other solid-state amplifier (you did mention your preference for avoiding the tube route). Overall, excellent choice.

Spike

Cary SLP 03 with which amp?

Spike,

I will have new Summits in about a week and need to upgarde my power and pre amp before I hook things up. I was seriously considering the Cary SLP 03 (I have a demo in the system right now and for the price I think it sounds great). I am either looking at the Parasound Halo A21 or the Cary CAD 200. The A21 I can get for around $1,800 while the Cary will be around $2,550 plus tax. I have seen many more reviews on the A21, all of which were fairly positive. Not much on the CAD 200 (same as the Cinema 2 really).

These will be interim moves just to replace my worn out 1980's Hafler gear. I'd prefer to purchase new equipment for starters, not used.

Any thoughts?
Any other power amps to pair the Cary SLP 03 up with for $2 - 3K?

Thanks!

JM

Spike,

I will have new Summits in about a week and need to upgarde my power and pre amp before I hook things up. I was seriously considering the Cary SLP 03 (I have a demo in the system right now and for the price I think it sounds great). I am either looking at the Parasound Halo A21 or the Cary CAD 200. The A21 I can get for around $1,800 while the Cary will be around $2,550 plus tax. I have seen many more reviews on the A21, all of which were fairly positive. Not much on the CAD 200 (same as the Cinema 2 really).

These will be interim moves just to replace my worn out 1980's Hafler gear. I'd prefer to purchase new equipment for starters, not used.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

JM

JM,

I just want you to know that I will be selling my Cary SLP98 (black/silver) with Phono real soon... within the week or two and if you are in the market for the 03, you'd be hard-pressed to beat the 98.

I have something replacing it on the way as we speak. PM me before I put this 'gon... these always fly on that site. Hotcakes.

Joey

Spike,

I'm not going to be of much help here since I've never listened to the Halo A21 amplifier. I'm sure others will chime in regarding these amps. Spec-wise, the A21 is class-A up to 8 watts, and then going into class A/B whereas the CAD200 is class A/B all the way. But that does not say much since I've heard many class A/B amplifiers which are way more musical than pure class-A counterpart. The Classe' DR9 readily comes to mind. So, don't get too hung up on specs but go listen for yourself.

Any thoughts?
I don't understand your "interim moves" at all. Are you saying that you'd like to purchase new equipments to be used as temporary solutions until you can find something better? If temporary, why pay the overhead of new equipment to start with? There are other musical amplifiers on the used market for the price range you mentioned. I think the used market is a much more efficient use of your budget.

Spike

Used versus new

Chosing a new power and pre amp is tuning out to be more complicated than I thought. I guess I am leaning toward new for a few reasons, mainly my wife prefering not to buy used. For me as well, there's something about sending a check for $5k to a guy in NY I don't even know! Kind of makes me very nervous! The extra money spent may help me sleep better. "Interim" could be five years for all I know. I have a 13 year old who I need to put through school, plus saving for retirement . . . you know the stuff us 50 plus people have to deal with! I have a budget for this, but I started this project as home theater with $5,000 and ended up with a pair of Summits, and the need for new electronics. I am very happy with the Summits even being driven through the old Hafler gear. I can't wait for upgraded power/pre amps!

Back to audio . . . .

I'd also like to support the local dealer who sold me the Summits too, within reason. They are offering some nice discounts to me. I'm most interested in a couple of lines they have, those being Cary and BAT. I'm wondering how those two pair up with each other. I have the SLP-03 as a demo right now and am very impressed with it. They may be bringing in the SLP-05 when the Cary rep visits next week, along with a pair of the CAD 500 mono blocks. Seems like overkill on power though for the Summits.

I also listed to the ARC REF 3 at another dealer in town. ZERO discount from list. Did you say $10K and no discount? YIKES!:(

The BAT 6200 looks to be a possibility that "sounds" intriguing to me on paper and has had great reviews over the years. Made Stereophile's recent best of class multichannel amp. Although I'm not thinking HT, I am looking for a 90's piece of equipment called a PHASEAROUND by fineline Audio, now defunct. Long story short, it takes out of phase info and sends it to the preamp and the to two rear speakers. No time delay here, just added (mono?) ambient information in real time. This may be a mortal audio sin, but hey, I remember my first "time delay" experience in the early 90's on a piece of ADS equipment, and I loved what that did to the FRONT sound stage. I never even heard the rear speakers we had just sitting on the floor in the back. That really added to my enjoyment of the recording. HUGE realistic sound stage. There is a gut on Audiogon using this set up with Cary gear. I only bring this up because I could add two more channels to the BAT 6200 later and still have one pice of, albeit heavy equipment.

So thinking of the Cary SLP-03 or SLP-05 with the BAT 6200. Seems to me the tube pre amp with the dynamics and power of the BAT would make a good match . . . but then what do I know?! Also was thinking of the Parasound A21 as the "interim" power amp with one of the Cary pre amps.

I'm to the point where hearing this in your home is THE only way to go. I just don't much satisfaction of listening to gear at a dealer's place. There are WAY TOO MANY variables.

Wears me out just thinking about this. But, I have to get some new elecrtonics before the replacement Summits arrive. That's another story, but not imprtant right now. Just know I have to start breaking in a new pair soon. It's amazing how much they open up agter about 70 hours or so!

I yearn for the day I can actually sit down and enjoy the music!! Hopefully soon!:D

JM

I don't understand your "interim moves" at all. Are you saying that you'd like to purchase new equipments to be used as temporary solutions until you can find something better? If temporary, why pay the overhead of new equipment to start with? There are other musical amplifiers on the used market for the price range you mentioned. I think the used market is a much more efficient use of your budget.

Spike

They may be bringing in the SLP-05 when the Cary rep visits next week, along with a pair of the CAD 500 mono blocks. Seems like overkill on power though for the Summits.

So thinking of the Cary SLP-03 or SLP-05 with the BAT 6200. Seems to me the tube pre amp with the dynamics and power of the BAT would make a good match . . . but then what do I know?! Also was thinking of the Parasound A21 as the "interim" power amp with one of the Cary pre amps.

I'm to the point where hearing this in your home is THE only way to go. I just don't much satisfaction of listening to gear at a dealer's place. There are WAY TOO MANY variables.

I yearn for the day I can actually sit down and enjoy the music!! Hopefully soon!:D

JM

Joe,

1. Watch for my review on the SLP05, it will be against my now-outgoing 98 though, not the 03.
2. No such thing as overkill for the Summits... ok, maybe the REX would be.
3. I agree, home auditions are an integral part to the buying process. However, a good dealer room is great at hearing the system at a more optimal setting (most of the time atleast).
4. I'm crossing my fingers that you get to enjoy your system rather soon... :).

Joey

Chosing a new power and pre amp is tuning out to be more complicated than I thought. I guess I am leaning toward new for a few reasons, mainly my wife prefering not to buy used. For me as well, there's something about sending a check for $5k to a guy in NY I don't even know! Kind of makes me very nervous! The extra money spent may help me sleep better.

Here's an approach that has worked for me in the past... Look up audiogon and search for amplifiers around your area by specifying zipcode in the search field. If one pops up, you can drive over, see the amp in action, write a check, and drive it home!

While I like Cary equipments (I do own the SixPacs from the BrewMeister Dennis Had), I have to say that the Cary solid-state amplifiers did not do it for me. In this case, the BAT VK6200, is the better choice. If you're looking at the level of the BAT, you should consider Plinius, Pass Labs, Monarchy Audio hybrids and Odyssey mono extreme (~2900/pair). That's just my short list off the top of my head :)

Spike

If you are thinking BAT or Cary and have a dealer, why not see if you can get a good deal on a demo or piece of tradein gear? The BAT stuff is probably the opposite of the Cary. BAT being more forward and powerful and Cary being more laid back.

If you are on about a 5k budget, have you heard the BAT integrated? It's 150wpc and not bad at all. Again, you might be able to get a screaming deal on a demo from your dealer. There are three versions, (regular, SE and Super Pak) They are all solid state with a tube preamp built in. The regular version is kind of nice because it just uses 6922 tubes, which give you a pretty wide range of tonality that you can change with different tubes.

Just a thought!

BAT integrated

I had actually considered the BAT integrated with the 6200 tubes. Am I correct in that when it says "pre amp out" that means in the future, I could attach a different pre amp and still use the power amp section of the integrated? That would allow me to have it all with one purchase, then add my "ulitimate" pre amp next (whatever that piece is), then when I get a new power amp, I can sell the intgrated? Is this correct?

If you are thinking BAT or Cary and have a dealer, why not see if you can get a good deal on a demo or piece of tradein gear? The BAT stuff is probably the opposite of the Cary. BAT being more forward and powerful and Cary being more laid back.

If you are on about a 5k budget, have you heard the BAT integrated? It's 150wpc and not bad at all. Again, you might be able to get a screaming deal on a demo from your dealer. There are three versions, (regular, SE and Super Pak) They are all solid state with a tube preamp built in. The regular version is kind of nice because it just uses 6922 tubes, which give you a pretty wide range of tonality that you can change with different tubes.

Just a thought!

............Am I correct in that when it says "pre amp out" that means in the future, I could attach a different pre amp and still use the power amp section of the integrated? .............
That is not correct. "Pre-amp out" means that you can use the pre-amp section of the integrated with an external power amp.

Pre amp out

Bernard,

WHOOOOW!!!!! Thanks for the correction. I had that completely backwards.

"Pre-amp out" means that you can use the pre-amp section of the integrated with an external power amp.

I agree. A tube preamp driving the SUPERB X150.5 power amp. You can't go wrong. Here's a pic of my X150.5 in situ:

Attachments

• Pass.jpg
    Pass.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 366
Ref 3 or Cary SLP 05

Edwin,

I am looking at getting a Parasound Halo A21 to hold me over until I can get a better amp.

I would really like to get a pre amp first and THEN try out different power amps with the chosen pre amp. Do you think this approach makes sense, or should I do it the other way around?

I'm looking at either the cary SLP-05 or the ARC Ref 3. Now we're talking about $3K difference between the two, but I can get a "fairly" good deal on either one of these amps.

Thanks.

Joe

I agree. A tube preamp driving the SUPERB X150.5 power amp. You can't go wrong. Here's a pic of my X150.5 in situ:

Back