Arcade Fire / Neon Bible

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Artist: Arcade Fire
Title: Neon Bible
Released: 2006
Record Label: Merge 285
Genre: Rock / Pop

This is the TAS / Issue 171 (April May 2007) Recording of the Issue. This is one of the most original, but approachable rock CD's I have experienced in quite a few years. I have never heard of this band before so when I first began to listen, I expected to listen to a few cuts, as I do with most new material, to get accustomed to a new sound, and then come back to it for further listening. Not so with this one. Grabbed me from the opening and, before I knew it, I was listening to the last cut.

I've never written a music review before so I will provide a few quotes from the TAS review.

"It is the sound of seven young Canadians reacting to the dire situations and freedom - removing exploits surrounding them, and using music reflection, and soul to sort it out. Holding listeners at attention from start to finish, and boasting an on-the-floor production that reflects the dimensions of its recordings locals, its pure pop brilliance."

"The band casts its gaze outward, complimenting its lyrics with surging orch-pop arrangments that convey immediate danger, frisky wonder, and emotional apprehension with all the fervor, catharsis, and spectacle of a stranger in a stangers land's final shot at salvation. Accordingly, the shiver induced sonics add to this atmosphere: musical plumes reverberate and decay; soundstages feature superb depth, height, and extension; mistakes are preserved; analog warmth dominates; the potency of a 30 piece military choir is matched only by the monstrous swell on an organ captured in a Catholic church."

"Woodwinds, string sections, pianos, tympani, hurdy gurdy, steel drums, cimbaloms, brass, and a calvalcade of other instruments join and drop out of the parade, contributing to a restless flow that yields a dazzling balance of upward moving crescendos, and heaven beckoning harmonies. Minimilism is employed sparingly ...."

So, what does this all mean. For me, an absolutely engaging listening experience from the first cut to the last that is so original and compelling that you, dear rock / pop fans, should purchase and check out for yourself.

And yes, the recording quality is equal to the magic of the music.

Highly recommended. :rocker:

GG

Attachments

• neon bible.jpg
    neon bible.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gordon,

I saw these guys on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago and got their CD. It like it too. Very fresh sound. Kinda dark sometimes, but that's good too.. Not your ordinary pop band, that's for sure. They kind of remind me of Death Cab For Cutie.

Listened more....

The lead singer sounds so much like Ian McCulloch (lead singer for Echo & The Bunnymen) that it put me into 80's flashback mode...

The more I listen to this disc, the more I like it!

Yes it is a fine album, but I prefer their first album - Funeral - even more; the production is not as good, shoe tring budget and all but some of the songs; Wake up, Rebellion (Lies), Crown of Love are so anthemic - just incredible.

Apparently they are one of David Bowie's favorite bands - there is a great video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wEBmLht5g, of Bowie and the band doing Wake Up from Funeral that is absolutely goosebumb raising. They also do the Bowie Song Five Years in the same show. Check it out

How's this for original?

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wjxef8AfVQg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wjxef8AfVQg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back