Over two hours of Eric Clapton in concert!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcl

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a bit too wired to go to bed yet, so I thought write some about one hellava concert. Eric Clapton's tour was in Sacramento tonight at Arco Arena and we had some primo seats about thirty feet from the stage. Man, was that ever fun. I keep forgetting how good a musician he is, and in particular how damn good he is on guitar.

The concert was scheduled to start at 7:30, and I was amazed that it started right on time! (Usually, concerts like this start at least 20-30 minutes late.) There was a very nice 4-member blues band for the lead-in act. Good enough to get a standing-o when they finished after 40 mins. The were selling a CD at the concessions, and now I wish I'd bought one. I don't even remember the band's name, and its not in the program. Maybe its on their website somewhere.

After a break to change band sets Eric Clapton and his band came out, and they played for over two hours straight! I tend to forget how good a live, excellent band sounds in concert, and this was no different. You know its going to be good, but then you're just blown away. It was also nice that they didn't try and impair hearing with too much electronic sound. The band behind Clapton was just five musicians (second guitar, bass guitar, piano, keyboards, and drums) and two female vocalists.

The program the sell is pretty good, too, as it has a bit of historical perspective of Clapton's career. You tend to forget how long he's been around, but he's 62 and been a musician for over 45 years, starting with the Yardbirds in the early 60s. They had a listing of his albums and discs in the program, and would you believe there is 44 listed, from 1965 through 2006 (and he's just released another one, I believe).

Anyway, it was a great time with a legendary musician.

Hey Ken,

sounds like a great time! How are the acoustics at the Arco Arena? I've never been.
Actually, the acoustics at Arco really suck and is one of the major complaints regarding concerts. Arco was built with private funds "on the cheap" 20 years ago, and I know from acquaintances that were originally involved that the design focus was entirely on basketball, with almost no thought given to acoustics. Its ok for Clapton, Billy Joel, The Eagles, Paul McCartney and the like if you're on the floor, but its really poor for an orchestral concert. We went to one a few years ago, and will never go again. (Anyway, a couple of years ago UC Davis (where we live), in conjunction with the Robert Mondavi foundation, built the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts, one of the most modern and acoustically correct concert halls in the world. Trust me, this is the place you want to go and listen to orchestral concerts.)

I saw Clapton at Madison Square Garden a couple of months ago. I agree that his musicianship was probably never better. However, he almost never verbally communicated with the audience and the acoustics at the Garden are as bad as you could ever imagine.

Sounds like a good time. He is playing at a venue close to me next month and I have been debating on whether or not to buy tickets. I have two questions for you. The first is whether or not you think side stage seats would be a problem based upon his stage set up and second did he play mostly older tunes. I really want to see him but honestly I don't have much interest in hearing the new album live. I've been burned with that a couple of times lately so I'm a little gun shy.
Thanks for your input!

I saw Clapton at Madison Square Garden a couple of months ago. I agree that his musicianship was probably never better. However, he almost never verbally communicated with the audience and the acoustics at the Garden are as bad as you could ever imagine.

More like a recital than a concert?

I like some interaction with the fans ... Each band does it differently. However there are usually so many drunken yahoos that any story over 4 or 5 seconds long gets catcalls and "PLAY SOME MUSIC" chants :mad:

Sounds like a good time. He is playing at a venue close to me next month and I have been debating on whether or not to buy tickets. I have two questions for you. The first is whether or not you think side stage seats would be a problem based upon his stage set up and second did he play mostly older tunes. I really want to see him but honestly I don't have much interest in hearing the new album live. I've been burned with that a couple of times lately so I'm a little gun shy.
Thanks for your input!
We were actually to the side of the stage (required for Rose's wheelchair) and had a good view and excellent sound. There's also two very large (probably 20 ft wide, 15 ft tall) rear projection screens hung from the ceiling, so if you couldn't see something you could look up and get a better view. Also, we were stage left (to the right if you're facing the stage), but I think stage right would be a bit better. Clapton is right-handed and his guitar was basically pointed at us a lot of the time, whereas the other side of the staqe would get a full-on view of him.

As for 'new' songs, probably half or more were "traditional" Clapton songs, but only a few of the remainder were "new" songs. They were instead more jazz and blues "jammin", which I enjoyed as much or more than the trad songs. I don't know your music tastes, but if you like blues and jazz guitar, piano, and keyboard, I think you'd love this show.

Well, he and the band didn't exactly carry on a dialog with the audience, but there was certainly a level of interaction. Of course, the layout of Arco arena is relatively "intimate" for concerts, with the stage only raised about four feet and the front row of the floor seats only about eight feet from the stage. There's interaction almost by default.

We were actually to the side of the stage (required for Rose's wheelchair) and had a good view and excellent sound. There's also two very large (probably 20 ft wide, 15 ft tall) rear projection screens hung from the ceiling, so if you couldn't see something you could look up and get a better view. Also, we were stage left (to the right if you're facing the stage), but I think stage right would be a bit better. Clapton is right-handed and his guitar was basically pointed at us a lot of the time, whereas the other side of the staqe would get a full-on view of him.

As for 'new' songs, probably half or more were "traditional" Clapton songs, but only a few of the remainder were "new" songs. They were instead more jazz and blues "jammin", which I enjoyed as much or more than the trad songs. I don't know your music tastes, but if you like blues and jazz guitar, piano, and keyboard, I think you'd love this show.

Thanks for the fast response. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. While I definitely love the classics, I am also a big fan of a good band jammin. I am sure the musicians with him will be equally up to the task. I was just concerned because some of the recent shows I have seen where ALL about promoting the new album. One band even went so far as to play the new album (which had been out for only a month) start to finish before palying only 3 or 4 classics and sending us home. As you can tell I am still a little bitter about that one. :mad:

I am super stoked to see EC. It sounds like my seats will be in the same general arena area as yours. Stage left about 5 rows back. I am glad to hear that I probably won't be staring at the back of a speaker tower all night. Thanks again for your input!!

I'm a bit too wired to go to bed yet, so I thought write some about one hellava concert. Eric Clapton's tour was in Sacramento tonight at Arco Arena and we had some primo seats about thirty feet from the stage. Man, was that ever fun. I keep forgetting how good a musician he is, and in particular how damn good he is on guitar.

The concert was scheduled to start at 7:30, and I was amazed that it started right on time! (Usually, concerts like this start at least 20-30 minutes late.) There was a very nice 4-member blues band for the lead-in act. Good enough to get a standing-o when they finished after 40 mins. The were selling a CD at the concessions, and now I wish I'd bought one. I don't even remember the band's name, and its not in the program. Maybe its on their website somewhere.

After a break to change band sets Eric Clapton and his band came out, and they played for over two hours straight! I tend to forget how good a live, excellent band sounds in concert, and this was no different. You know its going to be good, but then you're just blown away. It was also nice that they didn't try and impair hearing with too much electronic sound. The band behind Clapton was just five musicians (second guitar, bass guitar, piano, keyboards, and drums) and two female vocalists.

The program the sell is pretty good, too, as it has a bit of historical perspective of Clapton's career. You tend to forget how long he's been around, but he's 62 and been a musician for over 45 years, starting with the Yardbirds in the early 60s. They had a listing of his albums and discs in the program, and would you believe there is 44 listed, from 1965 through 2006 (and he's just released another one, I believe).

Anyway, it was a great time with a legendary musician.

I have had the pleasure of seeing Eric twice. Once in Tampa and once more in Orlando. Both concerts were awesome and I'd say he played 2 hr nonstop sets at both concerts.

Awesome show. If you like rock music, you've got to see Eric.

Check the Eric Clapton and Friends DVD. It's one of my favs and has Sheryl Crow, David Sandborn, Dylan, etc.

Erik

Back