Power Plant Premier

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Does anyone here have one? I know Joe (zip) has the P1000 and had plans on getting one of the PPP...

I'm thinking of plopping for one, but I've read some "fan issues" with it.

I've also read that it does what it's supposed to do and clean the AC...

So, we got comments on this?

Thanks guys!
Joey :)

Does anyone here have one? I know Joe (zip) has the P1000 and had plans on getting one of the PPP...

Thanks guys!

Joey, there have been some reports of users having problems with the PPP's - shutting down for no apparent reason (probably incoming voltage too low or too high). Make sure you read all the posts about it in the PS Audio forums.

Joey, there have been some reports of users having problems with the PPP's - shutting down for no apparent reason (probably incoming voltage too low or too high). Make sure you read all the posts about it in the PS Audio forums.

I've also read the same thing. Up until about a month or two ago I had been following the PS Audio web forum pretty closely, but I haven't checked in for quite some time. What I've found interesting is that for a newly introduced product that cost $2200 there seems to be quite a few on Agon in the $1500-1600 range. From what I've read in the past it seems that they may have rushed their new line of products to the market and have run into some "glitches".

Last edited:
According to PS Audio about 1% of PPP owners out there have experienced an issue or two. The most common being the cooling Fan. Paul McGowan of PS Audio says the internal fan does not come on till the PPP is outputting around 1000watts or so, but some users have had the fan come on sooner with smaller RMS loads on the unit. The cooling fan has 4 steps; most users have reported the first two steps not being noticeable at the listening position but the upper two steps being very noticeable even annoying.

So far every comparison report I have read about the PPP against the older power plants have been the PPP is just as good performance wise if not better then the older power plants. The down side is you don’t have balanced power anymore, can’t change the output voltage or have all the mutiwave adjustments of the older power plaints.

The way I have my system right now the P1000 is running the entire front end of my system and the P500 is exclusive to my Sony HS-51A front projector. I am for sure upgrading my P500 to a PPP to power my projector and will also A/B compare it to my P1000 to see if I want to upgrade that to a PPP as well. PS Audio will also be offering an Upgrade for the P1000 that will add new gold series capacitors, silver wiring and isolated outlets. Thus bring to performance of the P1000 to new levels.

Hope this helps,

PS Audio will also be offering an Upgrade for the P1000 that will add new gold series capacitors, silver wiring and isolated outlets. Thus bring to performance of the P1000 to new levels.

And there's a P1000 right now on Audiogon, for $1250... item no. 1177195413

Can you believe that I'd have to pay 7900 $ for it in Switzerland ?? I'm envious...

Last edited:
Joey,

If you want I can hook you up with a very good power conditioner that I hand built. If you are interested drop me a PM.

Joey,

Have you been experiencing electrical issues where you have noticed a negative impact on the sound quality of your system? If so, what are the signs to listen for?

Joey,

Have you been experiencing electrical issues where you have noticed a negative impact on the sound quality of your system? If so, what are the signs to listen for?

Problem in my apartment is that I get voltage fluxes... sometimes on my MOnster conditioner, it reads 125v.... sometimes it reads 117v. And when I go Class A on my Plinius, the lights dim a bit and the voltage meter on the Monster drops about 5v for the duration of the time the Class A bias is left on (until I go back to AB bias).

Now, keep in mind that I've had several light bulbs blow on me..... about 1 bulb every 2 weeks at one point....

And you'll understand my desire to get something to protect my investment, and hopefully get good sound in the process...not to mention my discount with PS Audio for 1/3 off. :)

Joey

Will the P1000 regenerate the power for the output? It’s a way to isolate your equipment from poor electrical supply that you have.

Thanks guys!

Yes, I have a comment: (IMHO) forget that piece of crap and get yourself an Exactpower EP-15A. You will be a very happy audiophile!!

Yes, I have a comment: (IMHO) forget that piece of crap and get yourself an Exactpower EP-15A. You will be a very happy audiophile!!

Tell me why the PPP isnt a good buy, curious....

Thanks!

Will the P1000 regenerate the power for the output? It’s a way to isolate your equipment from poor electrical supply that you have.

The P1000 regenerates power, but not sure about isolation.... I think that's where PPP comes in because it has the Quintet built in.

Or something like that.... I think Joe (zip) is better adept at answering this question than I am.

:eek:

The P1000 regenerates power, but not sure about isolation.... I think that's where PPP comes in because it has the Quintet built in.

Or something like that.... I think Joe (zip) is better adept at answering this question than I am.

:eek:

Well the P1000’s big a$$ transformer will isolate your gear from the wall, but there is noting in the P1000 to isolate your gear from each other. That’s where the P1000 MOD comes in. Rick adds two to four PS Audio power cells to isolate your gear from each other. Thus bring the performance of your system to new levels.

The PPP also has isolation on all five-power ports using PS Audio’s new nano-crystalline (spelling?) technology. Although in my option I don’t think the P1000 can handle your amp, the PPP should but in class A mode I think the Plinius will be too much.

Last edited:

Crap?
261.gif

From a technical point of view, I fail to understand why these overpriced audiophile-graded solutions should be better than a last generation UPS. Maybe Cherian can chime in... I have some $2500, swiss-made UPS'es in my office, dead silent and very efficient... the only drawback is the size. Paul McGowan tries hard to convince people that the UPS way is wrong, but he somehow fails to convince me...

Can you believe that I'd have to pay 7900 $ for it in Switzerland ?? I'm envious...

Can you believe I'd have to pay $10,000 for it in Australia - I'm envious (of you!).

From a technical point of view, I fail to understand why these overpriced audiophile-graded solutions should be better than a last generation UPS. Maybe Cherian can chime in... I have some $2500, swiss-made UPS'es in my office, dead silent and very efficient... the only drawback is the size. Paul McGowan tries hard to convince people that the UPS way is wrong, but he somehow fails to convince me...

Being in IT, I use UPSs all the time. Don't think I haven't thought of this too - I have them everywhere!

BUT, they are completely different beasts - power "Cleaners" [as in audiophile grade power conditioners] are very different from something purely designed to keep power active in the event of a failure.

There are some UPSs out there that have up to 50% distortion on their "supposed" sinewave output! That should tell you everything......

LOL, it'd be way cheaper for you to fly here and pick it up and bring it back after it gets a custom powersupply :)

Thanks guys!

Joey,

Just get a Richard Gray 1200 and be done with it. Call Dick McCarthy and talk with him.

Back