Stopping the vibration on grills of ML speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit house

Reaction score
As I have already described about the dampers on the surface of the ML panels in the posts of my system #166, I've got amazing progress with those dampers as I expected. The reasons why I could get much clearer sound stage with these dampers seemed to be as follows:
* The vibration of the ML panels made sound by themselves.
* The clear film made unnecessary sound, because the vibration of the ML panels moved the neutral position of the clear film between front and rear panel electrostatically.

After this modification, I still felt the vibration remaining on the surface of the panels when I touched it, though its level was reduced. As I couldn’t resist to the temptation to fix the panels more tightly, I decided to make devices to fix them experimentally and temporarilly only on 3 points of each panel as follows:

(The front device)
The height where these devices were set was at the almost same height of my ears. The materials for the packing (damping materials) are the same ones as I described in the posts of my system #166.

Attachments

• IMG_4511b.jpg
    IMG_4511b.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,779
Last edited:
(Effect of those devices)
It’s very easy to confirm the effect of these devices because I can compare the difference between the impressions I got on different heights.

I've got amazing progress further with those devices. Though I think ML is a more sensitive speaker than ordinary cone type, these devices emphasize this character. I think I can say the modified sound is an enormously clear, live and high-speed sound. I can feel it especially from the instrument’s sound, a drum, an acoustic guitar, a percussion etc. It’s a drastic change truly.

When I pasted dampers on the ML panels, Dreamer said “ Although I'm a little hesitant to start sticking things onto the grills of my Sequels…..” . But I think you can try this very easily without hesitation because you can set these devices temporally and the cost is not so much.

Though I made 3 devices for 1 panel this time, I’m going to make more fully for the panels. I expect the sound in my small room will be too live with much high frequency after full installation because I have already arranged room acoustic gears to get enough live sound. So I can’t help rearranging my room acoustic again, but it’s my pleasure.

Remark: Please be careful and don’t forget these panels are electric devices.

Shuji

It seems like the attachments might act as a wave guide, do you think this could cause any issues?

I would think it could be a problem on a cone speaker but I'm not so sure with an electrostatic.

It seems like the attachments might act as a wave guide, do you think this could cause any issues?

I would think it could be a problem on a cone speaker but I'm not so sure with an electrostatic.

Good point, Beat! :rocker:

The width of the wood plate is less than 2 inches.

(High frequency)
The lengh (2inches) has the possibility to give any influence as a wave guide.
But the high frequency wave tends to go straight with a very narrow beam.

(Low frequency)
The lengh (2inches) is very short compared to wave length. So maybe, there is not so big effect.

To tell the truth, I couldn't foresee the effect as a wave guide. The only way I could do was to try it. I could get an improvement for high frequency sound, but I can't distinguish the cause for it, by stopping the vibrations or by a wave guide. :p

I chose thin plates not to disturb the issued waves and located them where the ML grill didn't raunch any sound.

Shuji

Attachments

• IMG_4513b.jpg
    IMG_4513b.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,611
I am new to Martin Logans, and I picked up a set of mint SL3. There was a slight vibration also. SO i removed the railing on each side. Then I added double sided tape to each one and reinstalled. Now the railing were my harder to get back on, but I have no vibrations anymore. Just thought I would passs this on.

Latest posts

Back