"final" equipment choices

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discocarp

Reaction score
Here are my "final" equipment choices. Opinions would be appreciated. We've gone round and round, but here's what we've settled on (wire brands the one unresearched part of this).

Squeezebox--(toslink)-->Lavry DA10--(balanced)-->Krell KAV280p--(balanced)-->Krell KAV2250--(speaker)-->Summits(wenge/black)

The lavry will not be in the initial buy, but will be the first upgrade. That gives me some time to change my mind on the dac brand or a transporter, but I think I'm settled on the lavry for the time being.

Yes, purchasing the cable is going to be painful. :) I won't skimp though. I just haven't seen a need to research it much until I had the other equipment picked out. Its next on the list!

No, not painful for you , painful for your wallet, but the Joeytis divinity claims weekly - if not daily - sacrifices. However, back to the point, and interpreting freely your gear choice, I see a name engraved on all the cabling, and the name is Kimber.

The brand I end up with is going to be limited by what I can get discounts on, unless everything I can get a discount on stinks. :p I don't have that list handy at the moment, but its probably going to be my next post in a day or two!

Well, the gear you're gonna get is the X-Ray kind of stuff. It reveals everything, may it be good or bad, available at the starting point. No prisoners taken or allowed. You can sweeten this with cables, but I don't think that it's what you want - I personally think you want the whole truth in your face, that's why I suggested Kimber. I am happy about a new thread listing the cabling you're able to get some discounts on (but never forget eBay or Agon for cables, you might get some awesome bargains) and I will drop my 2 c worth of cable fetishist experience on it for sure.

Well, the gear you're gonna get is the X-Ray kind of stuff. It reveals everything, may it be good or bad, available at the starting point. No prisoners taken or allowed. You can sweeten this with cables, but I don't think that it's what you want - I personally think you want the whole truth in your face, that's why I suggested Kimber. I am happy about a new thread listing the cabling you're able to get some discounts on (but never forget eBay or Agon for cables, you might get some awesome bargains) and I will drop my 2 c worth of cable fetishist experience on it for sure.

Revealing at the expense of listenability is no bargain in my book. Take a listen to the AudioQuest cables such as KingCobra or the older DBS Jaguars which are available at very good prices and will add a musical hue to the system w/o a loss of detail.

Joey, thanks! It was a hard choice for sure! So many beautiful options.. I also decided on the dac over the transporter (80% anyway). Your comments tipped the scale!

As for the cables, I'm at home now so I can tell you which cables it is. Audioquest are the ones we can get some great breaks on, so its good to see it suggested!

Don't Make The Mistake To Hear Siltech Ls-188 Satt Mkii Speaker Cables With Your Summits,unless You Have 7000 Usd To Spend For 2.5 Meter Pair.

You have two pairs of balanced cables in the mix. This may
sound crazy, but I recommend going git-er-done cheap
(at first) by using high-quality studio microphone cables
as interconnects (Canare, Ameriquad, Mogami, etc). Apply
the savings toward better speaker cables. Web retailers
often call the short lengths we use "patch" cables, which
may give better search results, but it's all the same thing.
It can be hard to find mphone-cables in lengths shorter
than 15 feet.

You can audition more expensive "salon" interconnects
and upgrade later, but studio-quality microphone cable
will get you darn good sound for about $25 per cable. If it
was good enough for the original studio recording, it's fine
in our systems.

I'm definitely not a lamp-cord-as-speaker-cable type, but
I've found that balanced interconnects to be one component
where high-dollar upgrades don't pay significant dividends.
The nature of true balanced circuits make the cables less
of a factor.

Your mileage may vary. Offer not valid where prohibited by
law. See your local dealer for details.

I can't seem to find any info on the Siltech Ls-188 Satt Mkii, but I see a lot of Siltech LS-188 G5 Classic cables. These are out of my price range for sure.

The cables will definitely be audioquest (huge discounts). I'm going to get the best cables I can get with a $2k retail budget.

HsvToolFool, I can get these cables so cheap I'm going audioquest even for the balanced, but I'll definately pump the bulk of the budget into the speaker cables not the balanced cables. What about the optical? How important is it to get an expensive optical cable?

I have tryied many cables.I had a audioquest volcano and it was ok but when i change it whith the siltech's it was a huge upgrade.Soundstage goes back and up,they also have more clarity and detail.You will hear things you didn't notice before.As for interconects i think cardas golden ref are a great value,they cost about 800 usd and i haven't heard anything better till 3000 usd that's why i have chosen them for my surrounds.The best interconect i have heard comes also fom siltech and it is the compass lake satt version,and second chance mit oracle ma.I have heard all of audioquest,taralabs,shunyata,nordost,monster etc but siltech is the best,probably because these cables are made from silver and gold.Satt is optional and cost 500 usd per pair.I can't see any differences in optical cables,but many in coaxial and again siltech is my favorite.For video cables like hdmi and component i love taralabs.

Agon is sweet! I saved 50% off the going cost for my Cardas interconnects. discocarp, you should give Cardas a try for your interconnects.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone! Interesting link lugano.

I'm at work now so I'll read it tonight!

The cables are going to be audioquest. 100% sure. The deal is just too good. Everything I read says audioquest are great (although different people obviously have different favorites).

HsvToolFool, I can get these cables so cheap I'm going audioquest even for the balanced, but I'll definately pump the bulk of the budget into the speaker cables not the balanced cables.

Sounds good. Unlike amps and speakers, interconnects and
speaker cables are one area which...

A) The changes are relatively subtle and usually takes
longer to audition.

B) Dealers and audio-buddies can easily loan you cables for
a weekend audition-thon.

I have a pair of XLR low-end Transparent (in the retail
$500 range) and I can't hear a difference from Mogami
microphone cables no matter how long the audition period.
I have an audio-buddy who is willing to loan a pair of
upper-level Transparent "Ultra" (in the $1500 range) for
a shootout. I don't expect to hear much if any difference,
but who knows? Or perhaps the differences are so subtle
that I won't hear improvements until I tackle some room
treatment problems I've put off.

What about the optical? How important is it to get an expensive optical cable?

You're asking me? Ugh. There's no single answer here.
Personally, I call BS on boutique digital cables, both
optical or copper. Just get a cable with good connectors
and build-quality and you're good to go.

But then again, I'm a computer engineer and this topic falls
inside my profession. I just can't believe in magic when it
comes to digital signal transmission over short lengths at
relatively slow data rates. I've skeptically auditioned both
the cheapest and most highly-rated, expensive PCM
interconnects without hearing a difference. I doubt that
any 3-foot cable can add/subtract jitter in a bitstream.

Thanks HsvToolFool. This cable stuff is all so confusing!

Latest posts

Back