The "Gathering of the Geeks" @DTB300 Hse

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
by the way I emailed the guy at modwright.com and I found a really cheap Denon CD player at ebay. I am hoping he can mod my current CD player, but I might jump on the denon and have him upgrade that one.
Dan Wright the owner of Modwright is a great person and provides top notch customer service. Once you find a player that can be modded, you will be very very happy with the end product. If you buy the Denon, make sure you get some time to listen to it before sending for modding. The difference you will hear will astound you.

Keep us up to date on your progress!!!

Dan

Because of his room treatments, the sound reminded me of what it is like at some really good small clubs I've been to, only with the purity of sound that comes from his MLs.
Your statement is really quite amazing, as all along, my goal for my room and setup is to emulate a small club, sitting in the first 5 to 10 rows.

Now I just a few more room acoustics to address and a couple of more changes to the system. But I am very happy at my current sound of my setup.

Dan

You guys are great! Glad all had a good time!

Wish I was there as I have not yet heard a CLS system.... and I wanted to meet the head Plinius Triad gang-lord!

Or there's more than 3 of us right? I forget the other 2.....

Signed,
Joey of the Plinius Gang
:mad: (mean, tough face)

Dan's system is obviously the product of several years of dedicated trial-and-error (either that or a LOT of luck!). It is a wide ranging collection of different gear (ARC pre, heavily modded Sony CDP, OPPO DVD, Plinius amp an CLS's. I don't remember which subs he had (yes there are TWO) and his rear speakers for 5.1 (well, actually 5.2) are Sequel II's. No analogue front-end, but unless you're a die-hard vinyl-head, this system makes no apologies--it is very clean, clear, authoritative, and pleasant to listen to.

I was there, listening in several different positions in the room, for almost 4 hours, and I never felt fatigued (an only had a few moments of wanting for anything) from this system. Dan has a LOT of acoustic treatment in his room, which is in the basement--and therefore pretty much a concrete-lined bunker--and all that acoustic treatment DOES keep the bass reigned in, tight, and well defined. Highs also are very clean, focused and effortless. These CLS's are just a joy to listen to! I've heard them in several other systems, and they sounded just like I remember. The CLS (I think these are the CLS-IIz) is one of Martin Logan's best efforts, especially for Jazz, vocals, and small acoustic combos, and they ALSO can really rock out when coupled with the right subwoofers, and Dan's do all that.

For the kind of music Dan seems to listen to, and given his listening room, this system was a real joy to listen to. Personally, I like a little more "air" in my music. (OK, I'll admit I am a Sonic Holography junkie, and I crave open, airy, ambient, DEEP soundtages like Tyrone Biggles craves a rock during Chapelle's last season...) I can't fault Dan's system on anything--it has excellent pace, it is VERY engaging, especially with female vocals and acoustic guitars, it has delightful attack on transients, luscious sustain with vocals and large ensambles, and those sweet mids that all ML owners are so fond of and familiar with. My only desire was for a little more ambience--sometimes, especially with some of the live piano material or large choral works, it seemed like the performers were actually playing in OUR room, rather than in the large halls or cathedrals where they actually were. Dan's system definitely "makes the speakers disappear", but my Carver-addled brain was longing for a fix of "making the walls disappear" too.

One topic that came up again and again is that "there is no such thing as THE perfect system", just "the system that is perfect for YOU". Dan has accomplished this without a doubt. His system is a real treat, and I enjoyed every minute of my visit--from the conversations, to learning abou this heavily modded Sony CDP, to participating in a REALLY enlightening A/B comparison between interconnects. I think I can speak for everyone there when I say that we were ALL very impressed with the sound of his setup.

I just wish I had a C-9 (Carver stand-alone Sonic Holography Processor) in my bag when I walked in the room, to plug into his already sweet system. I think that would have been a REAL treat for everyone, even those folks who might not be big fans of Bob Carver and his gizmos. In a system like Dan's, Sonic Holography would be considered a "controlled substance"... :haha1:

Thanks to Dan and his whole family, for providing us all with a very relaxing, enjoyable, entertaining, and educational afternoon! Dan, you've got a FANTASTIC system, and the time I spent there has given me some ideas for improving my own setup...

--Richard

subs

Dan's system is obviously the product of several years of dedicated trial-and-error (either that or a LOT of luck!). It is a wide ranging collection of different gear (ARC pre, heavily modded Sony CDP, OPPO DVD, Plinius amp an CLS's. I don't remember which subs he had (yes there are TWO) and his rear speakers for 5.1 (well, actually 5.2) are Sequel II's. No analogue front-end, but unless you're a die-hard vinyl-head, this system makes no apologies--it is very clean, clear, authoritative, and pleasant to listen to.

I was there, listening in several different positions in the room, for almost 4 hours, and I never felt fatigued (an only had a few moments of wanting for anything) from this system. Dan has a LOT of acoustic treatment in his room, which is in the basement--and therefore pretty much a concrete-lined bunker--and all that acoustic treatment DOES keep the bass reigned in, tight, and well defined. Highs also are very clean, focused and effortless. These CLS's are just a joy to listen to! I've heard them in several other systems, and they sounded just like I remember. The CLS (I think these are the CLS-IIz) is one of Martin Logan's best efforts, especially for Jazz, vocals, and small acoustic combos, and they ALSO can really rock out when coupled with the right subwoofers, and Dan's do all that.

For the kind of music Dan seems to listen to, and given his listening room, this system was a real joy to listen to. Personally, I like a little more "air" in my music. (OK, I'll admit I am a Sonic Holography junkie, and I crave open, airy, ambient, DEEP soundtages like Tyrone Biggles craves a rock during Chapelle's last season...) I can't fault Dan's system on anything--it has excellent pace, it is VERY engaging, especially with female vocals and acoustic guitars, it has delightful attack on transients, luscious sustain with vocals and large ensambles, and those sweet mids that all ML owners are so fond of and familiar with. My only desire was for a little more ambience--sometimes, especially with some of the live piano material or large choral works, it seemed like the performers were actually playing in OUR room, rather than in the large halls or cathedrals where they actually were. Dan's system definitely "makes the speakers disappear", but my Carver-addled brain was longing for a fix of "making the walls disappear" too.

One topic that came up again and again is that "there is no such thing as THE perfect system", just "the system that is perfect for YOU". Dan has accomplished this without a doubt. His system is a real treat, and I enjoyed every minute of my visit--from the conversations, to learning abou this heavily modded Sony CDP, to participating in a REALLY enlightening A/B comparison between interconnects. I think I can speak for everyone there when I say that we were ALL very impressed with the sound of his setup.

I just wish I had a C-9 (Carver stand-alone Sonic Holography Processor) in my bag when I walked in the room, to plug into his already sweet system. I think that would have been a REAL treat for everyone, even those folks who might not be big fans of Bob Carver and his gizmos. In a system like Dan's, Sonic Holography would be considered a "controlled substance"... :haha1:

Thanks to Dan and his whole family, for providing us all with a very relaxing, enjoyable, entertaining, and educational afternoon! Dan, you've got a FANTASTIC system, and the time I spent there has given me some ideas for improving my own setup...

--Richard

I think Dan has a Paradigm sub and something he called a 'sumo' back behind the couch. One neat thing Dan can do is quickly adjust the volume of the sub(s) so the one in the rear compliments the music being played.

Also, he gave me a brief HT demo. We watched Die Hard and THAT was a lot of fun. With that big sumo kicking behind us, it felt like the bullets were hitting the couch!

If it's one thing I learned from Dan is that you can get a lot out of your system with proper adjustments and tweaking. You don't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a quality set up.

Erik

You guys are great! Glad all had a good time!

Wish I was there as I have not yet heard a CLS system.... and I wanted to meet the head Plinius Triad gang-lord!

Or there's more than 3 of us right? I forget the other 2.....

Signed,
Joey of the Plinius Gang
:mad: (mean, tough face)

LOL!

Hey, Joey, what would the rival amp be to the Plinius? I want to get that one so I can start my own rival gang.

For the kind of music Dan seems to listen to, and given his listening room, this system was a real joy to listen to. Personally, I like a little more "air" in my music. (OK, I'll admit I am a Sonic Holography junkie, and I crave open, airy, ambient, DEEP soundtages like Tyrone Biggles craves a rock during Chapelle's last season...) :
I can understand the addiction you have to your Carver and the added information it provides you. Quite a few years ago I had a Yamaha DSP-1 which had the soundfield emulation/additions. It was fun to play with during its day and at times would give you that feeling of being in a completely different sized room. But over time, the extra processing and added sound just distracted me from the real sound which was recorded/engineered for the track and/or album.

I have wanted to hear what the Meridian Trifield processing is like, but have yet to hear a setup utitlizing it.

Right now the only time I use something other than 2-Channel is when I play a MCH SACD and use the extra speakers for sound that is engineered into the music. And like your preference, a well recorded MCH SACD uses the additional channels to add the ambience or room sound, not placing you in the middle of the band or orchestra. Oh yeah...I do use 7 Channel Stereo when watching non-HD TV, but that is so we do not have to turn the TV up as loud :D

I am so glad you and the others were able to make the time to come up, eat food, sit and listen to some music, and enjoy the day with other ML fanatics.

Dan

Last edited:
I have wanted to hear what the Meridian Trifield processing is like, but have yet to hear a setup utitlizing it.
Dan,
I have Meridian Trifield set-up with my Meridian 565 processor. My opinion is that Trifield DSP is best if you're using the same speakers and amplifiers for the front channels in order to get the seamless integration and to reap the benefit of Trifield processing. For the Logans where the center channel uses...cones and tweeter(s) in addition to the small panels, I was always reminded of the differences between the center and L/R speakers.
Now, specifically talking about Trifield processing vs high-quality (simple) 2-channel preamp, I feel that the Trifield imposes too much processing of the original signal and a lot of the aural cues are "lost" in the processing. The end-result is the lack of (or reduced) front-to-back layering of the music, lack of the "air" around each instrument. The attack at the beginning of the note (musical immediacy) and the decay at the end are greatly compromised, resulting in a "processed" presentation in my opinion. Some discs will sound good in Trifield mode, but I'd much prefer the organic (romantic?) presentation of my simple tubed pre-amp over the DSP anytime!

Spike

LOL!

Hey, Joey, what would the rival amp be to the Plinius? I want to get that one so I can start my own rival gang.

Hmm..... that would be an interesting thing... to have rivalries going on here in this club of ours! Plinius Pentad vs Krell FPBiker gang vs Pass Labs squad vs BAT men vs Levinson Sons.... then we could mark out territories and flame each other!

:D

I really wish I could have gone! Geeky allergies bear heavy burden at times. A very special thanks goes out to DTB for having the forethought to mention his pets - a life saver... and I mean that in a VERY literal sense.

Glad to see everyone had a fantastic time!!! :rocker:

I really wish I could have gone! Geeky allergies bear heavy burden at times. A very special thanks goes out to DTB for having the forethought to mention his pets - a life saver... and I mean that in a VERY literal sense.

Sorry to hear that. We all had a really good time, and Dan's system is a real achievement! It was a really nice afternoon, and we had a pretty eclectic assembly of folks there--all sorts of music and all sorts of opinions. But we all agreed that this system sounded really sweet.

I have cats too, so I guess if I have a ML Meet in the future, you might have to pass on that too. However, the cats will be moving to NC in May, so maybe after I clean and shampoo the rugs and couch, you migh tbe able to come to my humble abode without suffering too much. :eek:

I'm thinking we may have to try and schedule another ML Meet sometime this summer, perhaps in June or July. By then, maybe I'll be up for entertaining, and should have the condo "de-cat-ified"...

--Richard

Hmm..... that would be an interesting thing... to have rivalries going on here in this club of ours! Plinius Pentad vs Krell FPBiker gang vs Pass Labs squad vs BAT men vs Levinson Sons.... then we could mark out territories and flame each other!

It's on.

I'm gettin' me a Krell.

Krell sounds mightier than Plinius (which sounds like Puni-ous).

LOL!

It's on.
I'm gettin' me a Krell.
Krell sounds mightier than Plinius (which sounds like Puni-ous).

You know, I've heard a LOT of Krells (everything from the little silver AV types they sell at Tweeter to the big Reference Monos) with MLs, and every single Krell/ML setup I've heard has been (at the risk of sounding like a reviewer) cold and analytical. Every single Krell/ML setup I've listened to had tremendous detail, a boatload of tight bass, and very smooth and clear mids, but they just sounded like lab equipment. I think they would all have benefitted frmo the addition of some tubes somewher in the chain...

If you like your system to have that "white lab-coat and latex gloves" sort of pristine sound, then Krell/ML is a great combo, IMO. Personally, I like someting a little more warm and lush.

--Richard

Some folks have all the fun! There is something about big planar speakers that really gives me goosebumps. I hope to see some of you in Kansas. Maybe we'll get to hear the next great big planar speaker.

I'll send you my X-250 for the face-off.:D

Twitch already did that "face-off".

Would be interesting to hear the new .7 and the new 103 to compare. Don't think you could go wrong with either in ones system.

Dan

The results are where?

Back