The "Gathering of the Geeks" @DTB300 Hse

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
As Erik's thread said, A Great time was had by all !! Many thanks to our wonderfull Host's for an enjoyable afternoon of great food (Dan's Potato salad is too die for !!) good music and comoraderie and a Superb M / L system (Plinius power.....of course), damn those Maple CLS's are georgeous !! Oh yeah they sound as good as they look !!

Not only was some very convincing A / B'ing done between Redbook CD and SACD, but cabling as well.

Only bummer was I had to cut out early and head back home for a family B-day party.

So here's a few pics for everyones viewing.

Pic #1 Our host / Chef and daughter

Pic #2 "The Geeks" Standing L-R...Audiorapture(Dan), Steve, eknuds01(Erik), DTB300(Dan), Dan's buddy "Ozzie"
Seated L-R... asindc(Anthony), Dreamer(Richard), Some knucklehead...Twich54(Dave)
Pic #3 Our Host in front of his pride and joys as well as along side his pride and joy !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
The one thing which is apparent in these pics is everyone is happy and smiling. I think it is the validation that we are not all nuts, should not be put away and really really enjoy our hobby.

It looks like a great time was had by all. I only wish I could have been there but I think I would have been embarrassed by my inferior stuff. :D

Jeff:cool:

Coooool!!!

I've seen Dave so many times that I can tell his mug from the rest of ya's!

As for the rest of you now I.D'ed peeps, glad to meet ya all!

I'm glad you guys had a great time... and I'm glad that I finally got to see part of Dan's system!

Joey :)

Field Trip to Overture?

Dave,

I think we need to take a field to trip Overture in Delaware. What do you think?

Erik

Dave,

I think we need to take a field to trip Overture in Delaware. What do you think?

Erik

Thats fine ! I had mentioned to Dan that when and "if" the CLX's come out, Terry Menacker (Overture Pres) told me he would hold a "Martin Logan" day/night. So that's one idea, but should others want to gather regardless, I would see what they could set-up for us.

Looks Like Fun...

:D Cheers To Our Wonderful ML Geeks ~ Dan, Ossie, Steve, Anthony, Richard and Dave,

What a wonderful time you all must have had... :D Everyone is smiling and laughing. All of you look every happy and enjoying Dan's lovely CLS system. :D

It is good to see everyone had a blast around such a beautiful home and in audio heaven at Dan's house. :cheers:

Thats fine ! I had mentioned to Dan that when and "if" the CLX's come out, Terry Menacker (Overture Pres) told me he would hold a "Martin Logan" day/night. So that's one idea, but should others want to gather regardless, I would see what they could set-up for us.

That sounds fun. I hear Overture is a wonderful store. Delaware is only 1.5 hrs from me, so it's not a bad drive. Also, I think we should check out your trains!

:)

Erik

So it appears everyone had a great time and there was good food.
Any one want to comment on Dan' system? How does the CLSiiZ's sound with the Plinius and ARC combination. How was Redbook, SACD or any other source sounding? How was the integration of panel and subs?

Any one brave enough to comment? :D

Any one want to comment on Dan' system? How does the CLSiiZ's sound with the Plinius and ARC combination. How was Redbook, SACD or any other source sounding? How was the integration of panel and subs?

Yeah, what Jeff said. Would love to hear how folks felt things sounded. Also curious about the cable evaluation and if all agreed that cable changes were discernable. Dan, I notice you have the Plinius resting on top of some wood blocks. Did you learn of this super tweak from our friend Roberto? He's been telling me to try this for several months now, but all of my wood is still outside under the snow!

Looks like it was a GREAT way to spend an afternoon. So many good folks on this forum, wish I could meet them all and listen to everyones systems! Sorry my upcoming trip to NYC didn't better coincide with this weekend. I can tell from all the smiles that you guys had a lot of fun! :D

Last edited:

Dan's got a great system. I have never listened to the CLSs before, but they are really something else. Cosmetically, they are just gorgeous and the sound is very, very nice. The Plinius is a BEAST. It's the size of my car and almost weighs as much. Dan also has a velodyne sound equalizing unit (forget the proper acronymn) which is really cool. It came with its own microphone and Dan has everything preset and can make numerous adjustments from the couch.

We listened to a wide variety of music; Redbook, SACD, and some DVD surround concerts.

The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over DVD was great. I listen to tha DVD often on my 2 channel system and I love it. Dan had some Dire Straits and Diana Krall (and Joss Stone) which I loved. We also listened to lots of classical music and I thought Dan's system really shined here. Rich (dreamer) brought a VERY nice Antioine Brummel CD was different to say the least, but the recording was done at some large cathedral and I must say I was impressed with how Dan's system brought that music to life in his house.

I forget how had (maybe Rich again) the Eagles gold CD and THAT was awesome!

I don't listen to much Jazz, but everyone brought some niced jazz cds and I have to admit that I'd like to listen to more from that genre.

It was a great time and everyone who attended was very nice and knowledgeable. I learned a lot, that's for sure.

Erik

Any one who wants to comment on my rig, please do – and I am grown up so tell it like it is. I like my setup and the sound I am getting (within my room limitations) which is really the bottom line with all of our systems. If you liked the setup great, if you hated it great. Compare the sound you heard from the CLS compared to your own ML’s

BTW, the day before the “Get Together”, I took my friend Ozzie over to the local ML dealer so he could hear the Summits – as he had not heard them yet. The Summits are setup in a very nice room, and they have them dialed in for the current seating position, well marked off with tape in the showroom. The electronics running with them was the Ayre V1 Power Amp, the Ayre K5 Pre Amp, and the Audio Research CD-7 CD Player. All cables were Nordost and the power cords were Shunyata. After adjusting the 25 and 50 Hz settings, as they were really cranked up, we sat down to listen for a bit. All three of us (Ozzie, my daughter, you see in the pictures, and me) enjoyed the sound presented from this setup. The shop also played a couple of disc that we were not familiar with, so I need to go back and get the names.

We then came back home and listened again to my rig. I asked the question, did the Summit system sound better than my rig? After much discussion between the three of us, we came to the decision that the Summit system did not sound better or worse than my current setup, just different. For the price difference compared to what I paid for my CLS and what I would have to pay for the Summit, would it be worth it? For my tastes and my current setup, no, I am not about to rush out and change from my CLS to the Summits – I will use the saved cash on mucho Music and any future additions or changes. Would I recommend the Summit system we heard? Absolutely, as it was a very nice sounding setup, but each person needs to sit down and listen and make their own judgments.

Thanks to all for coming over as I really enjoyed meeting everyone and listening to other types of music that people brought.

Dan

Dan,

Not being there stinks. I'm sure your system sounds great. My dad owns CLSIIz as well. I have Summits. I must say that the CLS' may be the hardest ML to setup. The room is soooo important, much more than the others that I've had or been around. I believe that the panel size makes it a much bigger issue than most believe. Also, with no woofer, yes it does tend to lend itself to jazz or vocal. When you intergrate them with a proper su thogh they are still hard to beat. Although, when my dad play's zeplin it doesn't sound that bad. His TacT helps a lot though. At the end of the day all that matters is that you are happy with the sound.

Here are some more pics from the Get-Together.

Also, I'd like to point out the numerous sound/wall treatments Dan installed over the years. Apparently, that makes a rather large difference since his system resides in a concrete room.

I can thank GIK Acoustics for their fine products and assistance in improving the sound in my room. GIK products are used in all 4 corners from floor to ceiling, three more behind the couch, and one more behind the sub along the floor/wall junction. Auralex is used for first reflection points and reflections from TV.

Dan

Dan,

by the way I emailed the guy at modwright.com and I found a really cheap Denon CD player at ebay. I am hoping he can mod my current CD player, but I might jump on the denon and have him upgrade that one.

Erik

Man... why oh why do I not live closer to the ML Geeks??? :(

You have your Chgo contingent right out your back door !!

As far as some additional comments re. Dan's setup the thing that struck me was when one first comes into his room and you see the amount of gear he has in the realtive small amount of space you would expect boominess........Not !! He has done an excellent job with his various acoustical treatments that with your eyes closed the soundstage defies the size of the room !

I was very impressed the multi-channel SACD (Orchestral, but now I can't remember who, Cinci symphony ??) It trully made you believe that you were in the Concert Hall and not in the middle of the Orchestra.

I must say Dan's modded Sony player is one sweet piece, for his up stream electronics I'm very familiar with (ARC, Plinius) so while the digital 'cleanliness' and 'air' was there in spades none of the digital 'glare' or 'edginess' intruded.

I trully enjoyed meeting everyone and would look forward to another get together, possibly as Eric suggested, Overture, and some "Live" steam in my backyard. One caveat.......Dan, you gotta bring the Potato salad !

You have your Chgo contingent right out your back door !!

As far as some additional comments re. Dan's setup the thing that struck me was when one first comes into his room and you see the amount of gear he has in the realtive small amount of space you would expect boominess........Not !! He has done an excellent job with his various acoustical treatments that with your eyes closed the soundstage defies the size of the room !

I was very impressed the multi-channel SACD (Orchestral, but now I can't remember who, Cinci symphony ??) It trully made you believe that you were in the Concert Hall and not in the middle of the Orchestra.

I must say Dan's modded Sony player is one sweet piece, for his up stream electronics I'm very familiar with (ARC, Plinius) so while the digital 'cleanliness' and 'air' was there in spades none of the digital 'glare' or 'edginess' intruded.

I trully enjoyed meeting everyone and would look forward to another get together, possibly as Eric suggested, Overture, and some "Live" steam in my backyard. One caveat.......Dan, you gotta bring the Potato salad !

Aye.

Dan, I forgot to metion the killer potato salad. Next time I will have to make meatballs for everyone.

Also, we should write down (only Rich did this for his stuff) we listened to. Since Dan has some really great sounding CDs/SACD/DVD I bet others would interested in what we auditioned.

Good times. Good times.

Erik

Thanks Dan!

I had a great time. Dan and his family were great hosts! I don't have a lot of experience with other ML speakers, other than my own Aerius's. I thought Dan's system was killer! I especially liked the bass integration and the ease at which he could adjust the frequency cutoff points. Being able to simply click a button or two to evaluate interconnects was very nice, too. Because of his room treatments, the sound reminded me of what it is like at some really good small clubs I've been to, only with the purity of sound that comes from his MLs. I now know that after I move to Texas in a month or two (or three) that I will work on the new room's acoustics! Great system Dan!
- Steve
PS. Didn't mean to forget, but it was great meeting everyone!

Back