What is the first piece of music you ever owned?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Be it vinyl (45, 33 or 78 even), tape, CD or digital...

Here' mine:

Kiss - Destroyer.

My first record! God, how I loved them!! I was 14 or so I guess. LPs were $5.99 which came to $6.23 with Wisconsin sales tax.

This began my adventure with music, which would eventually lead me into equipment, etc.

Bone Thugs and Harmony CD - Cross Roads

I got that one because my Mom wouldn't let me buy the Coolio CD (Gangsta's Paradise)!

;)

PS
I played it on my Packard Bell computer speakers! I think that thing went down to 130hz.

My first 45.. I think it was in 1973 and I played it to death on my mai order no mae stero record player..
Right Place, Wrong Time.. Dr. John

First Cassette would have been Thriller, first CD was Billy Joel - Storm Front, and first LP was Alkaline Trio - Crimson.

The first music I ever bought myself was Larry Grose's "Junkfood Junkie" on 45. But the first album I ever owned was the original "Snoopy and the Red Barron", a childrens album, with such notable greats as "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight?".

I still have them both, and they're in relatively good condition, considering they spent a LOT of their early life on a cheap portable Emerson TT...

--Richard

All LP's, all purchased at the same time, still have them all....in really poor shape:
Steppenwolf - "Live Steppenwolf"
Ten Years After - A Space in Time
Grand Funk - Grand Funk Railroad (the red album)
Chicago - III
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

I was six and I asked for Billy Joel, Crystal Gayle & Elton John for my B-day. Got them as that was the start for me....:D

45's --- Tommy Roe - "Oh Sweet Pea"
The Crests - "Sixteen Candels"

First Album....egads I don't remember

First tapes: Wings at the Speed of Sound, an Abba tape which I could not find the title of, and some K-Tel mixed tape all of which my parents got me for Christmas around 1976. I still have the Wings and Abba tapes somewhere stored in my basement, don't ask me why....

First CD: David Gilmore - About Face, 1984

Last edited:
I was 5 years old and it was some kind of "human rights" piece by (don't laugh) Groucho Marx. I played it on my little 78 RPM kiddy player. I almost remember the lyrics.

My first ever purchased album was Madonna - True Blue on cassette, bought used from a neighbor's yard sale....and thats not the worst part....I actually learned all the words to all the songs.....I was in...3rd? 4th? grade...

My first brand new store bought cassette was MC Hammer - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'em.

My first CD was The Mighty Lemondrops - Sound (1991). Followed by Queen - Live at Wembley (2 disc set), Damn Yankees - Damn Yankees and Led Zeppelin IV.

I bought an E.T. soundtrack tape when I was really young. That was my first tape. Also had the beverly hills cop 33 record that I remember well.

First CD was a Bethoven piano sonatas CD, It is about 17 yrs old now and still plays fine.

The first CD I remember buying was 3rd Bass. I dont think my dad was real happy about me playing it on his Sumo-infinity system. Does anyone here remember Sumo amplifiers?

First music I owned was John Denver's Greatest Hits on Eight Track. Still love that one. First cassette I owned was Niel Young's "Comes a Time." First vinyl LP was the Beatles, "Abbey Road." First CD -- ????? I have no clue.

Here is another one: What is the first concert you ever went to? For me, it was again John Denver (the Autograph tour).

The first CD I remember buying was 3rd Bass. I dont think my dad was real happy about me playing it on his Sumo-infinity system. Does anyone here remember Sumo amplifiers?
Hopefully we are talking about the same stuff. I still have the Sumo Sampson Sub and a modified Sumo Polaris Amp so it can be run in mono or stereo.

Dan

Kiss Love Gun I think...might have been Kiss Alive though. Mom and dad had records and I liked to play The Ventures A LOT! I also remember spinning 2001 A Space Odyssey from time to time...wow what a POS console record player that was!

Not proud of this however, I was only 11.

Donny and Marie Going Coconuts cassette.

Last edited:
My parents belonged to Columbia House tape club and had an attic full of 8-tracks. Gosh, I dont recall exactly what was up there....some Elton John, Three Dog Night, War, Captain and Tenille. I do recall my first 'system'....an old car 8-track player my father found at a yardsale which was run by an HO train transformer; bookshelf speakers from the church rummage sale. The voltage from the transformer would increase slightly as it warmed up and the motor would slowly increase speed.....years later when I bought my first *good* stereo everything seemed to be playing "slower" than I had recalled.....
I wish I still had that 8-track player :)

Tj

Back