Mozart - The Horn Concertos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugano

Reaction score
+46° 1' 26.41", +8° 57' 5.40" (Switzerland)
Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields Chamber Ensemble.

A superb rendering of the horn concertos. Playing 4 times in a row now, I can't believe but it's true, I can't get enough !! So happy and fresh, so needed in this month of march in order to enter 2007 with energy and joy through the spring's open gates. Philips labels it in the 50 Great Recordings series, do we need more ?

Even if you're a Led Zeppelin / Metallica / Uriah Heep / Rammstein / Dead Kennedys fan, please listen to this album. I guarantee you will get a different view about classical music- this is divine !

Attachments

• 433493.jpg
    433493.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:

A superb rendering of the horn concertos. Playing 4 times in a row now, I can't believe but it's true, I can't get enough !! So happy and fresh, so needed in this month of march in order to enter 2007 with energy and joy through the spring's open gates. Philips labels it in the 50 Great Recordings series, do we need more ?

Yep, Lugano. Couldn't agree more. I have Nos 1-4 on the Naxos label. Milos Stevove with the Capella Istroplitana. Suggest you listen to Haydn Trumpet, Horn and Cello Concertos too. I have the Decca label piece with Barry Tuckwell and the Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields.

I have the Pentatone 4 Horn Concertos, plus the Pentatone Horn, Flute, Bassoon and Oboe Concertos. Both excellent discs.

Dan

A historical view

An oldie and maybe on vinyl only is Dennis Brain with the Philharmonia Orchestra on Angel (35092). Possibly the greatest horn virtuoso of the last century, Brain imbues these pieces with his amazing tone and impeccable phrasing. Mono only but it doesn't detract from the playing at all.

I picked up a copy of this one over the weekend, and I just have to say THANKS to Lugano for recommending this recording. It is delightful!

I have just one more thing to say about this CD:

PERFORMANCE LEVEL PLAYBACK...

Nothing like french horns at performance level...

I playes saxophone through high school and college, and often, we were seated right beside the "frenchies" in concert band. I love the visceral midrange that french horns produce, and their woodwindy brass sound. Hearing this recording brought back a lot of good memories from my teen years.

Thanks Lugano!

--Richard

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 475

Even if you're a Led Zeppelin / Metallica / Uriah Heep / Rammstein / Dead Kennedys fan, please listen to this album. I guarantee you will get a different view about classical music- this is divine !

I just want to say thanks for this recomendation. I have always had a soft spot for Mozart and this is a well done disk. Cath

it's a pleasure to see that after 4 years somebody still reads it and enjoys it to the point of leaving a feedback behind.

(I'm not dead, just not a ML user anymore... for now. But one day...)

These threads are easy to find and I am always on the lookout for new music. It's always about the sound - and your enjoyment of it not just the equipment!

Back