Thread: Mozart - The Horn Concertos

+46 1' 26.41", +8 57' 5.40" (Switzerland)

Default Mozart - The Horn Concertos

Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields Chamber Ensemble.

A superb rendering of the horn concertos. Playing 4 times in a row now, I can't believe but it's true, I can't get enough !! So happy and fresh, so needed in this month of march in order to enter 2007 with energy and joy through the spring's open gates. Philips labels it in the 50 Great Recordings series, do we need more ?

Even if you're a Led Zeppelin / Metallica / Uriah Heep / Rammstein / Dead Kennedys fan, please listen to this album. I guarantee you will get a different view about classical music- this is divine !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lugano; 03-03-2007 at 01:32 AM.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

System 91

Quote Originally Posted by lugano View Post

A superb rendering of the horn concertos. Playing 4 times in a row now, I can't believe but it's true, I can't get enough !! So happy and fresh, so needed in this month of march in order to enter 2007 with energy and joy through the spring's open gates. Philips labels it in the 50 Great Recordings series, do we need more ?
    Yep, Lugano. Couldn't agree more. I have Nos 1-4 on the Naxos label. Milos Stevove with the Capella Istroplitana. Suggest you listen to Haydn Trumpet, Horn and Cello Concertos too. I have the Decca label piece with Barry Tuckwell and the Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields.
    Ben
    System # 165 : Summit/Descent i/Stage/Passage

I have the Pentatone 4 Horn Concertos, plus the Pentatone Horn, Flute, Bassoon and Oboe Concertos. Both excellent discs.

Dan

Default A historical view

An oldie and maybe on vinyl only is Dennis Brain with the Philharmonia Orchestra on Angel (35092). Possibly the greatest horn virtuoso of the last century, Brain imbues these pieces with his amazing tone and impeccable phrasing. Mono only but it doesn't detract from the playing at all.
    See my system here

Classified Forum Moderator Dreamer's Avatar

I picked up a copy of this one over the weekend, and I just have to say THANKS to Lugano for recommending this recording. It is delightful!

I have just one more thing to say about this CD:

PERFORMANCE LEVEL PLAYBACK...

Nothing like french horns at performance level...

I playes saxophone through high school and college, and often, we were seated right beside the "frenchies" in concert band. I love the visceral midrange that french horns produce, and their woodwindy brass sound. Hearing this recording brought back a lot of good memories from my teen years.

Thanks Lugano!

--Richard
    ......................Click to see my system
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." --Martin Luther King, Jr.

Default other ones

I'm happy to know you liked it, Richard.

I also have these 2:

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Clarine.../dp/B000001G94

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Hornbon...5582726&sr=1-2

but the St. Martin one, although having a higher noise floor, is my preferred (followed by the Tapiola).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

System 91

Even if you're a Led Zeppelin / Metallica / Uriah Heep / Rammstein / Dead Kennedys fan, please listen to this album. I guarantee you will get a different view about classical music- this is divine !
    I just want to say thanks for this recomendation. I have always had a soft spot for Mozart and this is a well done disk. Cath

it's a pleasure to see that after 4 years somebody still reads it and enjoys it to the point of leaving a feedback behind.

(I'm not dead, just not a ML user anymore... for now. But one day...)

System 91

it's a pleasure to see that after 4 years somebody still reads it and enjoys it to the point of leaving a feedback behind.

(I'm not dead, just not a ML user anymore... for now. But one day...)
    These threads are easy to find and I am always on the lookout for new music. It's always about the sound - and your enjoyment of it not just the equipment!