Changing Trim Rails on Ascent/Ascenti or Odyssey

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
Changing the rails on the Ascent is very easy but they can be a little stubborn at times. ML used to have instructions in PDF format listed on thier website but I think it's no longer there but these steps will get the job done just fine.

Tools needed:
1. Soft mallet
2. Small towel
3. Phillips screwdriver - medium size, don't use one too small. Using too small of a phillips screwdriver is a common cause of stripping the screw head.

Steps:
1. Remove the woofer grill. The rails will not clear the grill with the grill still on the speaker.
2. Completely remove the 4 screws (8 total on each speaker) from the inside of each speaker panel rail. They are the ones in a vertical row about 10" apart.
3. Cover the top of the rail with a folded towel to protrect the rail.
4. Try to slide the rail down with your hand. It's usually tight and may need some persuasion to get moving. If that's the case then gently tap on the top of the rail using the soft rubber mallet with just enough force to get it moving downward. The rail will need to slide down about 4-6" and will then be completely off. If you skipped the step about removing the woofer grill that will explain why your rail is stuck at the 2 inch spot.

Your'e half way there.

5. Align the new new rail on speaker panel rail frame from the bottom and slide upward as far you can with your hand. You will probably need to tap on the rail from the bottom with the rubber mallet to get it all the way flush with the top of the speaker.
6. Once you have the rail all the way on then you can reinstall the screws. If your new panels came with a new set of screws then use the new ones. The new panels will not have any screw holes and you'll need the new screws to tap new screw holes into the new rails. No big deal, the screws are very pointy and sharp.
7. Screw the new screws in just enough to be slightly snug. No need to over-torque. These rails are not going anywhere.
8. Reinstall woofer grills.
9. Drink a beer listen to music and enjoy the increased Spousal Acceptance Factor.
10. Sell your old rails on Audiogon. If they are black or maple then don't waste your time since those colors rarely sell. Just save them for a later repaint/stain project.

Here is my change out from Black Oak to Obsidian rails on my Prodigy and Ascent. The Obsidian is a slightly less expensive version of the Piano Black and looks just like Piano Black.

It is very easy and here are my observations:

1. Getting the plastic protector off of the Ascent rails took WAY longer than installing them!

2. DO NOT $crew the $crews in to far or you will be $crewed!

3. My prodigy must be early production because they only had 4 screws holding the rails in instead of 8! Weird!

This is a WONDERFUL, EASY upgrade that I have been thinking about for a VERY LONG TIME! Glad I have it done and sorry that I waited so long to do it!

Attachments

• smallprodpair.jpg
    smallprodpair.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • smallAscentScript.jpg
    smallAscentScript.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,205
  • SmallProdDescent.jpg
    SmallProdDescent.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,852
  • SmallAscentMarshall.jpg
    SmallAscentMarshall.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,261
Last edited:
Better Shot of the Prodigy

Here is the bigger pic of the Prodigy and Descent...the new gear rack and 70" Sony will be between them in time. There is also a Richard Gray Power Company 400 Mk II and 400 Pro behind each Prodigy.

Attachments

• MedProdPair.jpg
    MedProdPair.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,252
Hi guys! Where can you purchase new rails? I'd like to replace my ReQuests with a set of black ones (the Obsidian look kewl, how much do they go for? and the regular black?)...or should I just get them stained?

Hi guys! Where can you purchase new rails? I'd like to replace my ReQuests with a set of black ones (the Obsidian look kewl, how much do they go for? and the regular black?)...or should I just get them stained?

I believe you get them from ML directly.

Erik

Goto Martinlogan.com, then to Xtatic Shop.
There's a link to "Trim Clearance"
I bought Light Oak rails for my Ascent i's back in Sep. for $135. I sanded them down and stained them the same color as I stained my rack.

Attachments

• SystemSep07_small.JPG
    SystemSep07_small.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 3,332
Back