Summit Spike Decision

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have arrived

The new spikes arrived in yesterday's mail. Great service Jason. hopefully I will get them installed before the weekend.

Thanks again to 'Jason The Blacksmith'

Summit spikes

Hi Jason,

Might these also fit the Vantages?

Thanks.

Hi Jason,

Might these also fit the Vantages?

Thanks.

I'm sorry, these use a 1/4-20 thread. The Summits use a massive 3/4-16. You should be able to find all kinds of 1/4-20 spikes though.

I am curious to know if these will help improve soundstage height.

In theory they should. I myself have not had time to listen to them. I'm sure in the next few days there will be some feedback. Hopefully!

My spikes came today. They're fricking awesome! This is the first little piece of my summit system. :) Thanks so much!

what do you notice sonically?

I have too many changes going on in my system now to really judge the spikes themselfs. The reason I got them is that my carpet was too thick for the regular spikes and I did want some forward tilt. So the spikes have done that.

But as I said, I just upgraded my phono pre-amp to an ARC PH-7, New Shelter 9000 cartridge and am waiting on an ARC Ref-3. Plus, was auditioning a McIntosh MDA1000 DAC right into my amp.

My head is spinning with all this stuff. :eek: So I am completely at a loss to comment on the spikes sound per say except for they are very well made and will allow you many more adjustment possibilities.....Steve

Unfortunately, haven't had time to implement the spikes, and now I have to put my Summits into protective custody, as my daughter has 8 friends sleeping over this weekend! :eek:

Fortunately, I'm OFF FROM WORK next week, and will have time for major system tweaking then! :D

Jason,

Collected the spikes from the P O today. Great fit, but a bit of rust spots on them. Sprayed a bit of WD-40 before screwing them on. As a start, I had the panels tilted amost vertical.

The effect in my setup is simply SPOOKY! :eek: The first piece of music I played was a short piano piece. The imaging was precise, the stage moved forward in front of the speakers till I felt if I were to reach out, my hand would touch the piano. No kidding. Depending on the recording, not all performances have such a drastic effect though. But the imaging was still very sharp, much more than before the new rear spikes. Solo singers almost sound as if they're in the room with you!

The only explanation I can think of is that by tilting the panels towards the vertical, the sound waves from the top and bottom arrive at the listener more simultaneously than before (think of an isosceles triangle). The effect is less smearing from waves from the top of the panels reaching the ears later than those from the bottom. I hope fellow Summit owners experience as much profound effect as I did.

Am glad I ordered those spikes. Thanks for making them available to us, Jason. On second thought, I should have requested gold plating for them. :D :D

Last edited:
Jason,

Collected the spikes from the P O today. Great fit, but a bit of rust spots on them. Sprayed a bit of WD-40 before screwing them on. As a start, I had the panels tilted amost vertical.

The effect in my setup is simply SPOOKY! :eek: The first piece of music I played was a short piano piece. The imaging was precise, the stage moved forward in front of the speakers till I felt if I were to reach out, my hand would touch the piano. No kidding. Depending on the recording, not all performances have such a drastic effect though. But the imaging was still very sharp, much more than before the new rear spikes. Solo singers almost sound as if they're in the room with you!

The only explanation I can think of is that by tilting the panels towards the vertical, the sound waves from the top and bottom arrive at the listener more simultaneously than before (think of an isosceles triangle). The effect is less smearing from waves from the top of the panels reaching the ears later than those from the bottom. I hope fellow Summit owners experience as much profound effect as I did.

Am glad I ordered those spikes. Thanks for making them available to us, Jason. On second thought, I should have requested gold plating for them. :D :D

Glad your almost happy.:(

Cheer up Mr. Blacksmith!

I have word that my parents are dropping off the spikes today! They said the box was extremely heavy, despite the rather diminutive box.

Too bad I have to go to the hospital overnight and deliver babies.... otherwise, I would've reported back on what I heard.

Joey ;)

Cheer up Mr. Blacksmith!

I have word that my parents are dropping off the spikes today! They said the box was extremely heavy, despite the rather diminutive box.

Too bad I have to go to the hospital overnight and deliver babies.... otherwise, I would've reported back on what I heard.

Joey ;)

You have the best job....delivering more Martin Logan babies.:D

Jason,

Must be the bit about the rust spots. :eek: Don't read too much into it. When you're in the equatorial region and a small little island (salt air and humidity aplenty) metal other than gold oxidises fast unless they are heavily plated or anodised. All my valued tools are invariably covered in a thin layer of oil or they'll rust away in no time.

In the 70s, when multi-kilo bucks Revox tape machines were first imported here, the aluminium frames were corroding so badly, my unit had to have a new frame after less than a year. Fortunately, the Swiss manufacturers learned and had them anodised in subsequent shipments.

Sometimes I wish I live in a desert country. :haha1:

Last edited:
Cheer up Mr. Blacksmith!

Joey ;)

Joey,

My parcel had 8 pieces. If I had slipped and dropped them on my toes, your surgery reconstruction skills would have been required! :D :D

Latest posts

Back