Summit Spike Decision

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I red somewhere here, it takes 500 hours to break them in?
Actually, I think that may have been me. I bought my summits from an audiophile who had them for a year or so, and I passed along that he told me he felt they weren't fully broken in until about 500 hours. From everything else I've read about the summits, I think you're probably going to get 90% of the break-in after about 200 hours.

I am also interested in being able to tilt the speakers more forward than current spike design allows. Before plunking down dollars for 2 pairs of extended spikes, there must be some relationship to degree of tilt and distance from the panels that would ensure the best relationship for the listener.
It was my impression that the panel tilt ensured that listeners at distances of more than 12 - 15 feet (a standard distance) would have the upper 1/3 of the panel at ear level. Is this correct and could then one apply that formula to the spike length needed at closer distances. For example I am about 10 feet away from my Summits. Would I need to raise them an addition 1.5", 2.5" or 3.5"? Any help would be appreciated so I can decide which ones to get.

Cone speakers people have always talk about the importance of time alignment. Perhaps if we tilt the ML in such a way that permits the sound from the top to bottom of the panels to arrive at the listener's position at the same instance, we should achieve a perfect sound stage image. Yes?

The subtle mechanisms of the Joeyitis worked on me once more... all this spike talk entered my brains and was invading all my senses. Had to cure it somehow, even if I don't have summits :)

The pain was relieved by buying these new shoes for my CLS II's:

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 318
lugano-

don't make me look bad...how much did they cost?

Those are nice looking spikes, though I don't think they would fit the specialized need that you're fulfilling with your spikes jtw. I use partsexpress spikes to build subs, and they're pretty nice...but these look nicer still. I'll have to order a pair and try them out.

These people need to check your PM. The spikes are ready for shipping. I am waiting 48hrs for a response before moving to the next person on the list. I think I have done it the fair way. I am hoping to ship out on Sat.

Joey V-shipped
Stereoman-shipped
Burke-shipped
Sleepysurf-shipped
discocarp -shipped
beenleys-shipped
johnfenoglio-shipped
craig-shipped
stesom-shipped

Last edited:
They're here!

Got Jason's custom spikes today! The design and machine work are top notch! Can't wait to try them, but won't have tweaking time till Wed.

One question for Jason, is it adviseable to coat them with a thin layer of WD40 (or something else), to keep them from rusting?

Thanks again for stepping up to the plate and making this happen for us! Maybe you should start selling various colored versions on A'gon (a la brilliant pebbles!) :D

Got Jason's custom spikes today! The design and machine work are top notch! Can't wait to try them, but won't have tweaking time till Wed.

One question for Jason, is it adviseable to coat them with a thin layer of WD40 (or something else), to keep them from rusting?

Thanks again for stepping up to the plate and making this happen for us! Maybe you should start selling various colored versions on A'gon (a la brilliant pebbles!) :D

WOW! That was quick. Thanks for all the kind words. They are Electroless Nickel plated to protect them from rusting. It will not hurt them if you want to put a layer of WD-40 on them. Please be careful so the WD doesn't drip or stain the floor. I could offer them in chrome, black but the cost would go up. I'm just trying to keep it reasonable for all. Also, you really can't see them that much. But hey, if enough people want them in colors then.....I can do it! I suppose I could get really nuts and make them out of aluminum and anodize them in all kinds of color. I don't think the aluminum would work well though. I could make them out of all kinds of different materials but again the cost would go way up with the quantities we are talking. I made them out of steel and coated them because it still has the weight and they look fine with the nickel. For the price, I beleve you can't beat them. IMO. I hope everyone else is as happy as Sleepysurf. Sleepy did you notice that I moved the adjusting hole??? That was just for you!

Last edited:
WOW! That was quick. Thanks for all the kind words. They are Electroless Nickel plated to protect them from rusting. It will not hurt them if you want to put a layer of WD-40 on them. Please be careful so the WD doesn't drip or stain the floor. I could offer them in chrome, black but the cost would go up. I'm just trying to keep it reasonable for all. Also, you really can't see them that much. But hey, if enough people want them in colors then.....I can do it! I suppose I could get really nuts and make them out of aluminum and anodize them in all kinds of color. I don't think the aluminum would work well though. I could make them out of all kinds of different materials but again the cost would go way up with the quantities we are talking. I made them out of steel and coated them because it still has the weight and they look fine with the nickel. For the price, I beleve you can't beat them. IMO. I hope everyone else is as happy as Sleepysurf. Sleepy did you notice that I moved the adjusting hole??? That was just for you!

Dang... blue aluminum spikes would have been soo cool!!

Yeah, the hole is perfect... should be able to access it even with deep pile carpet!

Next up, how 'bout a remote control motor-driven spike to adjust tilt on-the-fly from our sweet spot! C'mon Jason, you can do it!

Yeah, the hole is perfect... should be able to access it even with deep pile carpet!

Next up, how 'bout a remote control motor-driven spike to adjust tilt on-the-fly from our sweet spot! C'mon Jason, you can do it!

that's actually not that hard to do. Are you serious? It will cost some big money...

Back