Summit Spike Decision

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I am making Summit Spikes. I have decided that Sleepsurf and Joey want them I will take the risk and do it. This is the deal....they will be 1.5" longer then stock and will have a cross hole for adjustment (similar to stock). If I keep it like this you can purchase them for $70. I just don't see a different way with the qty that I'm going to make.

Last edited:
I am making Summit Spikes. I have decided that Sleepsurf and Joey want them I will take the risk and do it. This is the deal....they will be 1.5" longer then stock and will have a cross hole for adjustment (similar to stock). If I keep it like this you can purchase them for $12 ea. I just don't see a different way with the qty that I'm going to make.

1.5" is enough I think right? What say you sleepysurf?

Joey

Edit:
I just measured it on my Summits... looks like either 1" or 1.5" is a good addition....

Last edited:
Ok Ok, Joey twisted my arm so we will have 2.5" & 3" total length now. Those are the options.:D

Ok Ok, Joey twisted my arm so we will have 2.5" & 3" total length now. Those are the options.:D

Oooh.... now to decide which is better....

Thanks Jason! I bet Sleepy will be glad to read this when he comes on later! :):)

Joey

Last edited:
BTW, Jason, which do you think is better? Do you think the 2.5" is enough or is the 3" a better way of getting the forward tilt going? What about on your Summits?

Joey

BTW, Jason, which do you think is better? Do you think the 2.5" is enough or is the 3" a better way of getting the forward tilt going? What about on your Summits?

Joey

by four of each and you decide:D

I would say 3" would give you the best forward tilt.

Thanks Jason! I bet Sleepy will be glad to read this when he comes on later! :):)

Joey

You BETCHA I'm glad! Personally, I think 2.5" is sufficient, as the spikes can only be screwed in about 5/8" before hitting the inner rim of the leg. IMHO, a 3" spike might be too long, but if Jason is willing to offer both, let each person decide for themselves.

Count me in for FOUR of the 2.5"

Jason, you da man! PM us to let us know how to handle payment/shipping.

ok. sounds good. I got both now if 2.5" seems to be what everybody will want after your and Joey's excellent feedback then that's all that will be offered. We'll get them to you and you can write the review. With any luck they will be able to be shipped by the end of next week. If all goes as planned. Just have a little bit of patience. I will not send them if they don't look like I want/expect them to. I will PM you as per your request.

Last edited:
Count me in for four of the 2.5" as well. I tried the forward tilt as recommended by Joey and sleepy and it works.

My Summits are on order and will not be delivered for three or fours weeks so delivery time is not a prime concern for me.

As with the others pm me with payment info.

thanks,
burke

Yeah... I'm guessing the 2.5" is sufficient... I think you can put me in for that one....

Joey :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

You ROCK Jason! :rocker:

I'll join in for 4 2.5". I'm summitless but that isn't going to last long methinks!

I'll retract my earlier order for 4 - 2.5" spikes...

I'm now thinking of the 3" spikes.... hold on... dont fill my order just yet...

Joey :eek:

Hello,

For I am new here and have ordered a pair of Summits last week, I wonder what this discussion is about. Please enlighten me! What else should I know about the Summit?!

Best regards: Ronald

Hello,

For I am new here and have ordered a pair of Summits last week, I wonder what this discussion is about. Please enlighten me! What else should I know about the Summit?!

Joey should really explain all of this to you.

Hello,

Ronald,

Jason has been nice enough to build mil-spec spikes for us Summits owners. The thing is, there has been this talk about maybe tilting the Summits a few degrees forward so as to stabilize the images (vertically for the most part) and lend our ears a more cohesive soundstage. The reason why Jason has built these particular spikes is because of the fact that we have not been able to find these particular spikes anywhere.

In fact, Sleepysurf went on a several month course of looking for one before Jason (jwtrace) offered to make us some.

The original OEM spikes that come with the Summits are 1.5". The modded "upgrade" spikes take that either 1" or 1.5" taller... to 2.5" and 3" respectively. We are planing on installing these modded spikes to the rear of the Summits and therefore angling the panel a little more forward (in otherwords, a little more vertical and a little less raked back.... ala 2nd generation Martin Logans).

You can purchase some from Jason if you wish, there's another thread elsewhere in this very forum.

And........ :welcome: to our noble, fun, and overall light-hearted club!

Joey :cheers:

PS
I hope I explained it well.

Ronald,

Jason has been nice enough to build mil-spec spikes for us Summits owners. The thing is, there has been this talk about maybe tilting the Summits a few degrees forward so as to stabilize the images (vertically for the most part) and lend our ears a more cohesive soundstage. The reason why Jason has built these particular spikes is because of the fact that we have not been able to find these particular spikes anywhere.

In fact, Sleepysurf went on a several month course of looking for one before Jason (jwtrace) offered to make us some.

The original OEM spikes that come with the Summits are 1.5". The modded "upgrade" spikes take that either 1" or 1.5" taller... to 2.5" and 3" respectively. We are planing on installing these modded spikes to the rear of the Summits and therefore angling the panel a little more forward (in otherwords, a little more vertical and a little less raked back.... ala 2nd generation Martin Logans).

You can purchase some from Jason if you wish, there's another thread elsewhere in this very forum.

And........ :welcome: to our noble, fun, and overall light-hearted club!

Joey :cheers:

PS
I hope I explained it well.

Very well said. BTW, Joey is the martinloganowners.com President (TomDAC being Chairman). Why who knows, everybody seems to love him.:D I guess Melissa and us do have something in common. See Joey she should like the ML forum.;)

Very well said. BTW, Joey is the martinloganowners.com President (TomDAC being Chairman). Why who knows, everybody seems to love him.:D I guess Melissa and us do have something in common. See Joey she should like the ML forum.;)

Nonono... I take no credit for anything on this forum. This is Tom's forum and many others have seniority over me here. I merely post but there are many here who have more knowledge and experience than I do. I think the only reason why I have a lot of posts compared to others is:
1. I post whenever I feel like it... lol!
2. The old, original MLO site was updated to this particular site and all post counts were erased.

Anyway, I cant take the credit for any seniority on this forum... I really cant... I'm merely another member who tries to learn from the rest and gives tips and opinions whenever necessary or the opportunity presents itself.

I would rather bow before guys like Jeff Z (who's guided me several times), Dave aka twich (who is the driving force behind many of my upgrades), Dan aka DTB (who subliminally PMs me with tips on the modded side of CDP), Robin aka Robin (who cheers up the place), Cherian (who put me on the path of tubes), Chris aka cstpeter (who has given me plenty of DAC help), Jerry aka DrJRapp (who has exchanged several PMs with me regarding Rotel and whatnot), Kachi (and his crazy hovercrafts), Ken aka kcl (for his zest and his new Summits), Craig (for his wealth of experience with ML and SF and exotic gear like Electrocompaniet), Rich (for his amusing posts spiced with take-it-to-the-bank knowledge), JonFo (for DIY-goodness), Neil aka bobgoat (for egging me to get the Vantages early on), James aka PCar (for his recent membership on this forum has been a joy to follow for me... what with his car fettish and MBL love!), Alex aka Munster (for his numerous HT DVDs that he offers to the forum), Jason aka jwtrace (for his help with the spikes), Wayne aka theWB (for some good ol' Chicago comraderie!), Edwin aka edwinr (for his love and loyalty to Club Summit), Steve aka stesom (for pointing me in the right direction and for graciously hosting me at his nice house), Lugano (for his nirvana which a lot of have yet to achieve... and the ribs that he grills!), Mark aka MickeyVee (for his constant love for the Claritys, I remember when I was new he was already here and although a lot of members come and go, he's always with us even if he doesnt post as much), Aerius007 (another one of my contemporaries), Sleepy (for all the tweaks he has been trying), BeatDominator (probably someone who I see a lot of myself in with regards to the posts he puts up), and of course, who could forget to thank Tom aka TomDac (for the club and his ribbings on me!), ... and several more that I'm sure I p***ed off because I just forgot...

Me? Just another member! Thanks guys!!

Humbly....
Joey :eek:
icon_hail.gif

Last edited:
Spikes and Summits: Optimal tilt and listening distance

I am also interested in being able to tilt the speakers more forward than current spike design allows. Before plunking down dollars for 2 pairs of extended spikes, there must be some relationship to degree of tilt and distance from the panels that would ensure the best relationship for the listener.
It was my impression that the panel tilt ensured that listeners at distances of more than 12 - 15 feet (a standard distance) would have the upper 1/3 of the panel at ear level. Is this correct and could then one apply that formula to the spike length needed at closer distances. For example I am about 10 feet away from my Summits. Would I need to raise them an addition 1.5", 2.5" or 3.5"? Any help would be appreciated so I can decide which ones to get.

Thanks for the answer. I'll come back on this subject later.
Unfortunately I have to wait 3 weeks or more before I can join the Summit-party. As I red somewhere here, it takes 500 hours to break them in? How can this process be done best? By playing music 24 hours a day? What music? How loud?

Questions, questions...

Ideally, the best way to find out what tilt is best for your setup is to EXPERIMENT! Remember that ML's are dipole line source speakers, and how parallel the stat panels are (relative to the rear wall) will affect how the reflected sounds blend with the direct ones. Too much or too little tilt can "smear" the image, but when it's just right, the image "locks in" with superb detail and tonality. Seating height, and distance from the speakers, are obviously important as well. Like room acoustics, every setup is DIFFERENT, so there's no hard and fast rule to follow. In my case, I want to have the "best possible" imaging and tonality at the sweet spot (center of my family room couch). Off-axis, and farther back (barstool height) seating for home theater, is less important to me. With PLUSH carpet, and a thick pad, I calculated that the additional "wiggle-room" with the 2.5" rear spike will be sufficient, but won't know for sure till I try it! At the prices Jason is charging, you can always buy BOTH (which I still might do).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back