How about som REAL Winter weather !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
How about some REAL Winter weather !!

For Dan and I growing up in Upstate NY we have seen our share of 'Real' snow, ie......."Lake Effect".

For those of you that have not experienced being in the leeward side of the Great Lakes this is what we are talking about.

My buddy lives in Redfield, NY, they had 12 feet in 8 days !!!

Attachments

• Oswego3.jpg
    Oswego3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 4,589
Last edited:
You're kidding me... this is really the NY area?

Amazing photo.

For Dan and I growing up in Upstate NY we have seen our share of 'Real' snow, ie......."Lake Effect".
Western NY - Niagra Falls area.

Ah yes Lake Effect. This is when the winds blew to the NorthEast and brought all the weather right up Lake Erie dumping large amounts of snow in the Niagra Falls and Buffalo area. Usually the snow stays south of Niagra Falls and Buffalo. But when that "North-Easter" comes...look out.

IMO, Upstate is Lake Placid, Watertown, etc.

BTW, my sister who lives south, near Fredonia, gets the type of snow you see in Dave's picture. They have to get Back-Hoe's and large construction equipment in to help move the snow. Also it is not uncommon for people to get up on the roofs of houses to make sure there is not too much snow up there to cause issues.

Dan

Sorry to rub it in.

On man, that's some snow.:eek:

That's why i'm in Florida for 3 weeks.;)

Attachments

• DSC01725.JPG
    DSC01725.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 978
  • DSC01724.JPG
    DSC01724.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,028
Sorry guys I actually showed you the "after"pic, here's the one while NY Dot was trying to open up the road (outside of Oswego, NY)

Attachments

• Oswego2.jpg
    Oswego2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,121
  • Oswego1.jpg
    Oswego1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 924
Any idea what the best thing about the great lakes is?....

The Great Lakes Brewing Co.:cheers:

I seriously never imagined a snow-blower-truck existed.....

WOW..... :eek: .

Isnt it great that we're enjoying a semi-heat wave???!!! :rocker:
The last few years here in Chicago have been very mild and the snowfall has been below normal. We've been very lucky. I'm looking forward to spring which is right around the corner, This year daylight savings time starts the second Sunday in March instead of the 1st Sunday in April, Hopefully the weather is warm enough for us to take advantage of the later daylight hours.

Colorado Snow Just a New York "Dusting"

And I thought Colorado's snow storm just before Christmas was something-- those NY pics are just completely crazy!

Here's a 2 day dump out in front of the house just north of Denver-- those courtyard walls to the right of the garage are 54" tall.

232930675.jpg

In NY, this must be termed a slight "dusting." I can't imagine digging out of a storm like those pictures. Won't ever complain again.

Mark, You know in my 33 years of snowmobiling I've taken many a 'non-believer' to the 'Tug Hill' plateau off the east end of Lake Ontario to show them the "Real Deal", FWIW I was living outside of Syracuse , NY in 1966 when the old record was set....110" in one storm. As impressive as all this is the one that stands out for me is, 1/5/98, Montague,NY......86 inches of snow......in 24 hrs !!!!!!!!!

As impressive as all this is the one that stands out for me is, 1/5/98, Montague,NY......86 inches of snow......in 24 hrs !!!!!!!!!

That kind of storm would paralyze the Front Range of CO for a month! I just have no idea how the upstate NY people navigate and carry on with real life with snow depths like that.

There also must be some serious snow load factors built into your roofs to survive those kind of snow falls. In 2003, we had a super wet spring snow of 36" to 39" on the flat with some serious drifting (7' on my driveway) and if my memory serves me, there were something like 110 serious building collapses in Fort Collins alone. Here's the just one of them; namely, the Bed, Bath, and Beyond store:

232961243.jpg

So these NY buildings must be built like tanks to take those kind of loads! VERY Impressive!

Mark S.

Actually Mark this past week there have been quite a few roof collapses upstate. If you saw any of the news coverage from this event the people with the brains were shoveling off their roofs almost daily ! Those that didn't bother are paying the consequences.

As I tell people I meet, yes I'm from Buffalo, a nice place to BE FROM !!

If you saw any of the news coverage from this event the people with the brains were shoveling off their roofs almost daily ! Those that didn't bother are paying the consequences.
Shoveling is a good thing, huh Dave? In 2003, 2 of our office buildings we built a few years before started taking on substantial sags in the suspended ceilings early in the storm-- a super wet snow in May. Our engineers said they were designed to deflect like that (new buildings), but they scared the pageebies out of all our staff working under them. We immediately began shoveling them both off all night long-- just over an acre of roof area! But was worth every penny when buildings all around us were going down-- even some new ones. The more I studied I found that the killer is the drifts that build up against the parapets. If the original designs don't beef those areas up as they are supposed to be, they typically have catastrophic separation failure at the exterior walls.

All that is to say that anything above 3 feet is a HUGE amount of weight-- let alone 8 feet- :eek: Nothin's designed to withstand that kind of avalanche....except maybe a snow cave on Mt. Everest!

Last edited:

For those of you that have not experienced being in the leeward side of the Great Lakes this is what we are talking about.

My buddy lives in Redfield, NY, they had 12 feet in 8 days !!!

Looks like a good year at Tahoe. Hopefully, we will be looking like that soon! I love it when the chair lifts become surface lifts.

Actually Mark this past week there have been quite a few roof collapses upstate. If you saw any of the news coverage from this event the people with the brains were shoveling off their roofs almost daily ! Those that didn't bother are paying the consequences.

As I tell people I meet, yes I'm from Buffalo, a nice place to BE FROM !!

We get pretty bad weather here in NE Ohio, but always see Buffalo on the news with cars just burried under snow. My aunt live in Amherst and its terrible to hear how bad she gets it.:(

Twich, I dont know if you are into the local bands but my aunt plays bass in a local blues band.

Back