Vignette or Fresco Anyone ? Your thoughts are welcomed !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're absolutely right Jeff !!! I need a ML injection !!!!!! Pat thanks for you comments as well. I will be calling that store to set up an appointment tomorrow. Pat I remember when this thread started you mentioned that to your ears the Mosaic vs Clarity comparison lasted about 5 minutes "Clarity's the winner". After rereading the posts on this and other threads it seems most ML club members chose the Mosaic, it should be interesting and very enjoyable.

Thanks Pat... can't wait to go... !!!!!!!! Sometime within the next 2 weeks.Too much work to go sooner, and there is the "tax thing" April 15th deadline to beat.

Mine is done

Well. I managed to get to a different Tweeter location in town to audition the Clarity. It sounded much better than my first attempt, but not much better than the Mosaics -- well to the point that it is 2x the cost of the Mosaics. It depends on how much you like the look and sound of real electrostatics. Also, in fairness, the Clarity was powered by B&K amps and the Mosaics I have purchased are running off of my AVR-3803. So it wasn't a fair comparison I don't think. Also, keep in mind, some stores haven't even fully broken in their demo models.

I feel pretty comfortable with my decision to stick with 4x Mosaics and 1 Fresco. If anything, I'm still disappointed by the center channel some of the time, but I'm not so sure that's really the Fresco's fault. Some sources it sounds great with -- others, it seems weak and I'm constantly having to turn it up to compete with the Mosaics and room acoustics. Maybe it is a placement issue and/or adjusting to the more dynamic ranges of these speakers -- I'm open to suggestions!

I also was itching for a sub and decided I couldn't wait, so I completed it with the Dynamo. I am still breaking that in. I was worried it might not be enough for HT in my large room, but so far, I have had to turn it down a few times. That said, I'm not sure if I can "feel" the bass like some systems I've experienced. Not that it matters, since that would require some serious dampening that isn't an option in my current setup. I'll post an update as the breakin winds down and I continue to tweak everything. I also still have time to change my mind if I can't get it just right.

If you lived closer, I'd happily let you stop by for an audition, since it sounds like you're in the same boat I was. Beware that the Tweeter supply of Mosaics isn't dry yet -- but the selection is starting to thin & time may be running out depending on your color and locaion.

Last edited:
Ironic77 said:
If anything, I'm still disappointed by the center channel some of the time, but I'm not so sure that's really the Fresco's fault. Some sources it sounds great with -- others, it seems weak and I'm constantly having to turn it up to compete with the Mosaics and room acoustics.

When I was auditioning ML Centers, I felt the same way about the Fresco - disappointed. I also auditioned the Cinema and the Theater. The Theater was the only center I liked, but like the other centers, I felt it cost too much $$$ for what you are getting in performance. This is just my opinion based on my listening sessions with ML centers paired up with Aeon's, Ascents, and Odysseys.

It will be interesting to see what the Stage sounds like when it comes out. Hopefully the price will be lower and the performance will be better.

Dan

Thanks Ironic !!!!!!!!
It looks like it will have to be next week before my visit. I am extremely anxious for the demo. As for your center channel problems I am hoping it is placement that is making the sound hot N cold for you. The fact that the Fresco is in your and DTB's eyes and eyes so so makes me wonder that a Vignette would be worse.

Wayne said:
The fact that the Fresco is in your and DTB's eyes and eyes so so makes me wonder that a Vignette would be worse.

Listen to the Fresco and Vignette to find what YOU like. Each of our tastes are different on what we like and do not like. Trust your own ears and make your purchase from there - remember it is in YOUR home and not ours. If you like it then it is a great purchase.

Tweeter has the 30 day full return, so you should be all set for a demo to see what you like - get both speakers at once and compare - bring back the one(s) you cannot live with.

Dan

Bravo Dan !!!!!! Sometimes I get rapped up on what others hear or don't.

Am not sure what the problem with a Fresco in the center would be. The center is mainly for dialog and since I have had the Fresco in the center, I hear things I have never heard before. The Fresco matches the Mosaic and I would think that the Theater or Cinema would be overkill without stats as mains.

Daryl Zero said:
Am not sure what the problem with a Fresco in the center would be. The center is mainly for dialog and since I have had the Fresco in the center, I hear things I have never heard before. The Fresco matches the Mosaic and I would think that the Theater or Cinema would be overkill without stats as mains.

Actually this is more true in theory than fact. Most movie mixers put all sorts of info in the center including gunshots, explosions etc. along with the dialog. Listen to virtually any action movie for confirmation. This is why the center is so critical to a great home theater, it does more work than any other speaker but is usually the least capable of the front three speakers. :)

Daryl Zero said:
Am not sure what the problem with a Fresco in the center would be.

For my tastes I just did not like it and like I said, I had it with the three ML's main speakers for testing. I was thinking about bringing one home to test with my CLSIIz's, but after the testing with the others, I just did not feel it was worth it.

That it not to say others, like yourself may like it as a center. I know Roberto like its. Again the great part about this hobby...many things to satisfy many tastes and preferences.

Dan

Again, I was thinking about the Fresco in terms of having ATF speakers as mains, not stats. Roberto says that the ATF are the next best thing to having stats, but not the same. If you have stats as your main speakers, it would probably not be good to have the Fresco as the center unless you have the Clarity which I think is close in sound to the Mosaic.

Daryl Zero said:

I agree with you. :)

I have mixed stats (Claritys and Cinema i) with ATF (Frescos), but not on the same line - Claritys and Cinema on the front, Frescos on the rear. It's matching perfectly well this way, but I wonder whether it would sound that nice if I had Fresco as a center speaker.

Since I listen more and more to SACDs, the Center channel is a key one. It really needs to be fully harmonized with the front Left and Right Channels.

pat17 said:
I agree with you. :)

I have mixed stats (Claritys and Cinema i) with ATF (Frescos), but not on the same line - Claritys and Cinema on the front, Frescos on the rear. It's matching perfectly well this way, but I wonder whether it would sound that nice if I had Fresco as a center speaker.

Since I listen more and more to SACDs, the Center channel is a key one. It really needs to be fully harmonized with the front Left and Right Channels.
Hello Pat... Refresh my memory.... when you bought your Cinema i did you audition the Fresco or Vignette as the center ? And Pat did you ever take one of your Fresco's "used as surrounds" and try it as a center?

Back