System #171 (Odyssey)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philox

Reaction score
Name: John D Dooley
Model: Odysseys
Year purchased: 2007 second hand from Audio Club
Pervious Martin Logan Speakers: SL3's from 1998 to 2006
Mods: None

Associated Electronics

Turntable: Rega Planar 3 turntable with Grado Reference Sonata cartridge

The Rega turntable was upgraded with internal Cardas wires from the Grado cartridge to a Cardas RCA outbox that is mounted underneath the turntable. This allowes for upgraded after market phono interconnects

Phono DC Preamp: Aragon 47K

CD Player: Sony XA7ES

CD Recorder: Pioneer Elite PDR-19RW

Tuner: Yamaha TX-400U AM/FM tuner with Terk AM/FM antenna

Tubed Preamp: Audio Research LS16

SS Power amps: (2) Aragon Palladium mono blocks 600 watts per channel into 4 ohms via true Bi-Wire with separate panel and woofer cables from each mono amp to each speaker

Subwoofers: (2) NHT Sub Two dual 10 inch woofers with built-in Sunfire mono amp 500 watts per channel into 8 ohmns. NHT Controller set at stereo mode, 1/2 volume, and low pass at 40 Hz totally separated from the Odysseys

Interconnects: Harmonic Technology Truth-Link RCA interconnects to and from the preamp to Pioneer CD recorder & NHT sub controller

Harmonic Technology Silver Crystal phono interconnects from Rega turntable to Aragon phono preamp

Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway MK II RCA from phono preamp to preamp

Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway MK II balance interconnects from Sony CD transport to preamp input and preamp output to each Aragon mono block

Speaker cables: 2 Synergistic Research Resolution Reference .5 Active Shield speaker 6 ft cables for the upper electrostatic panels and 2 Synergistic Research Signature 10 Active Shield speaker 6 ft cables for the bottom dual woofers.

Power Cords: Synergistic Research Reference Master Coupler from line enhancement to preamp and Synergistic Research Master Coupler to each Aragon mono block and NHT Subs

Accessories: Richard Gray RGPC400 Line Enhancement, Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, and "Miss Spy": the almost human cat

Martin Logan Experience: One fateful day I visited a friend who had Martin Logan Aerius speakers matched to an Adcom amp, Carver pre-amp, and a Dennon CD transport. I put in the CD Holly Cole's "Temptation" and heard the bass player's hands tap the bass casing; I never heard that on my audio system. I asked my friend, "What are these speakers?" and he explained about electrostatic speakers.

Later in the month I went to my local high-end audio store and found some floor model Martin Logan SL3 speakers on sale, bought them and hooked them up to my audio system. Nothing! The Martin Logan SL3 speakers sounded just like my old speakers. I found out the hard way that speakers were only as good as what you match them too. A few months later, after I regain the money spent, I bought an Aragon 8008BB dual mono amp because it could power the SL3 speakers with a warm sound at a modest price. This combination revealed all the limitations of my audio system; I went though two Audio Research pre-amps, first the solid state LS-9, and later stayed with the tubed LS-16 which gives a smooth non-interfering sound. A few years later I got a deal on some Aragon Palladium mono blocks and upgraded to the Odysseys as you see in this photo.

I have over 700 LP's, 1900 CD's, 100 SACD's, & a few other digital formats of Broadway, Classical, Film Scores, Folk, Jazz, Rock, Opera, & World music. Better written: almost every type of music except bubble gum, extreme pop, ultra negative, or rap.

I have over 180 DVD's & 70 LD's mostly movie classics, romantic comedies, A&E & BBC Novel adaptations, musicals, & concerts that are played on a WAF Audio/Video in-wall 5.1 system in another room

Check out my music and book reviews at Amazon.com. I specialize on hard to get or out of print CD's and Books.
Click http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member...6302-2398816?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

Attachments

• DSC00046.JPG
    DSC00046.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,571
Last edited:
Old SL3 system

Past SL3 system in http://www.arduman.com/aa/ Nuance and Fluence Istanbul High End Audio Web Site.

Stereo System in 2003: notice the walnut finish on the SL3's. In 1998 I bought the last floor models from a high end audio store. In 2006 I sold them to one of my priests who blew out his 1970ish Quads.

HT System in 1998: the same SL3 speakers in a 5.1 mode at a small beach house running on an Aragon 8008BB dual mono for the SL3 fronts and an Aragon 8008-X3 for Martin Logan Logos center and Script rears. Also seen is one NHT Sub Two on the right side of a custom made table for the 2 amps, Logos, and a Proscan 36 inch HDTV. I like the light brown carpet in the beach house instead of the Rose-whatever we have in our new house :)

In the HT photo you can see a Theta Casa Nova processor, a Pioneer LD/DVD transport, a Sony VCR, a Monster power center, and a Proscan HD receiver on the lower left hand racks...the Theta Casa Nova, the Proscan HDTV with processor, and the Monster power center were sold and the balance items are now with a normal Sony 27 inch TV in a guest bedroom.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 4,172
  • MLScreen.jpg
    MLScreen.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 3,325
Last edited:
Photo of Front End Gear and cable lifters on the SL3's

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,078
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 3,178
Last edited:
John,

Very nice looking system you have. I bet it sounds great.

The Horn Room

Beat, the south wall starts out as a one-story where the speakers are located around 2 feet away from the back wall, but the ceiling slopes up to a two-story north wall where my listening seat is. The room is 16 feet long and 19 feet wide, yet opens up to the west with the dinning room. The distance between the speakers is equal to the distance to the listening seat with a sight toe in, I believe its 9 feet each distance. I view the listening room as a vast horn with freedom from distortion. I still need to put up some carpet on the south wall, which I have, but always find something else to do. The down side is that we have no front room and entertain guests in the family room. JD3

Last edited:
Cherian, WOW you got the speakers from E-Bay and matched it to Carver amps? What were the Carver amps running before? The friend that turned me onto Martin Logan's was running a Carver stereo amp into Arius speakers until he developed a ground hum. Do you have any problems?

Philox,

I had Wharfdales Opal 90s before. I got the ML because many years ago I listened to my friends ML system and was awe. I knew I would buy a pair some day. At the time it seemed like so much money. Then I saw a pair on e-bay for $800.00 I thought why not and got it. I had the ML running off of a Sony receiver. Then reading the posts on this board I knew I had to get some real amps. For about 3 months I had a Rotel and then moved to Carver. I have nerer had any round hum issues. Nothing but great sound. Some day soon I am hoping to have bigger MLs.

John, Welcome, Nice set-up ! as always , good to have another LP guy in the fold !!

The system you got is great for a small room...I see several systems in this forum that have speakers that are too big...I should know I have my SL3's in a small beach house...the 3rd photo down is that system. There was no room for the speakers to breath. Therefore I think your rear speakers are about right, what Martin Logan front speakers would you what to upgrade to? About the rears...I had Scripts for my rears when my system was a HT, they were about ear tall...Have you thought about raising your rears above the sofa?

Last edited:
Twich, yes but your turntable is to die for. My Rega doesn't have enough magentic protection around the center hub because my Grado Sonata cart can pick up a hum when the LP ends...not bad though. I collect mostly Jazz records and specially the 180 grams. Jazz needs the smooth sound from a LP. Classical music sounds better on a CD because I can hear more back ground instruments.

Last edited:
I get the bigger MLs when I get the bigger house. I lve in a Condo now but in less than a year I move into a 3000 sq ft home with a 800 sq ft basement that will be all mine. Here I will build an HT and a new ML 2 channel system.

HT Marriage

Cherian, I am guessing that your special other wants the audio system out of sight? By the way, you wrote "ML" 2 channel...your going to have 2 systems? I have a HT in the family room but it has 4 in-wall speakers, a small Sunfire sub, with a BK receiver to keep the wife happy. I use to have a NHT VT-2 HT system with an Aragon 8008B and 8008-X3 amps that really kicked, but those were the days. If you go with a 2 channel be sure to get either a warm soild state amp or tube amp...or at least a tubed pre-amp.

TomDac, yes I was one of the first on the old site. What happen to it? Well I upgraded the speakers but not the carpet. We are planning wood floors but if your a home owner as well as a high end audio owner, there is always something happening to your money. The stereo looks great but the carpet has got to go. I even have a hanging carpet to go on the back wall for acoustic reasons but never find the time to put it up. I got the Odysseys from a friend who got a deal on some Wilsons he couldn't pass up. By the way, why doesn't the "Insert Image" program work? I got some photos of my gear and old system that I URL instead.

Last edited:
the WB, Is that a photo of Leonard Cohen? I am also a Leonard Cohen fan as well as the other Canadian poetic song writer Bruce Coc-burn. I believe I saw Leonard Cohen in concert during his "I'am your Man" tour.

Hummm...the program wont let me spell Bruce's last name, so I took out a letter.

I had the Martin Logan SL3 speakers for 8 years and the Odysseys are a lot faster with more bass foudation. I had to reset the toe-in and set them futher from the back wall. I also had to lower the Db from 50 hz to 40 hz on my subs and turn down the volume. I am relistening my music collection. Right now I am into progressive Celtic music, specially "Iona". Or lets write it this way...I listen to serious music that has something to say.

I have the same music philosophy as you.
Click: http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/K9LKH4ZNM52X/ref=cm_sylt_byauthor_title_full_1

"Music is the true universal language. Each historical culture has developed their own methods of expressing this language, yet today we lose ourselves within our own cultural limitations of understanding based on logic, science, & mere words. If you open yourself up to different types of music, the basic emotions will feel (fill) in the gaps that logic, science, or words can't reach."

Last edited:
Excellent Odyssey Musical System....

John,

What a wonderful Odyssey system you have. :wow: :banana: I love your duel NHT subwoofers as well. You system looks like it is conducive to fabulous musical listening.... :D Your cable risers are cute as well... :p

Back