"Audiophile grade" speaker switch?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfkrato

Reaction score
I would like to add a tube pre-amp and tube amp for 2 channel music listening to an existing 5.1 channel SS (Sunfire preamp & B&K amp) system. I would like to leave the 5.1 SS system in place and be able to switch over to the 2 channel tube system using the same front speakers (Odyssey). Would be ideal to have a speaker switch which can be operated remotely, buy remote not a must.

I realize there are a number of speaker switches on the market are various prices, but looking for something which won't degrade high quality speaker cable connections. Anyone with any experience with "audiophile grade" speaker switches? Anyone else done this and can relay how they addressed sharing a pair of speakers between 2 systems?

Another option

Why not get a tubed pre-amp with home-theater bypass and use the tube amplifier on the panels, leaving the BK to handle bass in a bi-amp configuration for the Odyssey. This way, you don't have to deal with an extra switch! I am doing just that with my system.

Spike

I would like to add a tube pre-amp and tube amp for 2 channel music listening to an existing 5.1 channel SS (Sunfire preamp & B&K amp) system. I would like to leave the 5.1 SS system in place and be able to switch over to the 2 channel tube system using the same front speakers (Odyssey). Would be ideal to have a speaker switch which can be operated remotely, buy remote not a must.

This is what I want to do also, but just using a monoblock tube amps hooked directly to a universal player and the front speakers for 2 ch listening. It would be a big hassel to disconnect the cables every time. Any other bright ideas?

No solutions here . . . just the same issues.

I find myself in the same boat. I am currently enjoying a tube Amp and Preamp in 2.1 channel, but will soon be upgrading to a 5.1 channel surround system. I want to be able to listen to the tube equipment for serious two channel music listening, but don't really want to burn the hours on the tubes for movies, t.v., playstation, etc. So I would also like to be able to hook up a solid state pre/pro and amp and be able to easily switch between the two using the same pair of mains speakers. I was thinking I may just have to use banana plugs and swap the speaker cables between amps every time, but would love it if their were some kind of high quality switch available for this purpose. Is anybody doing this?

I have the same thing Rich. Tube pre and tube mono bocks for 2 channel. SS 7.1 for HT. Unless your speakers are in a corner and difficult to get behind -which they are probably not- its only a matter of banana plugs to change equipment to the speakers. The SS is fine for HT and I also don't want to use tube time for TV.

Thanks Spike. I had considered your type of set-up but I really want a pure tube 2 channel system. As mentioned in other posts, my default solution is to just manually swap connections at the speaker (e.g. use banana plugs) - but like Rich, I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Back