"Organic Light Emitting Diode" ~ OLED

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
This is truly astounding technology is just around the corner, "Organic Light Emitting Diode" screens that are wafer thin monitors. :wow: The 27" screen version is only 10mm thick with an incredible 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio..., with razor sharp picture quality. Sony showcased this technology at this years CES in Las Vegas. :clap: My son showed me this YouTube clip, narrated by Wil Wheaton, of Star Trek TNG fame...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ufs9Wx0VXQ

Amazing emerging video display technology. :D

What do you think?

Attachments

• Sony OLED - Monitor.jpg
    Sony OLED - Monitor.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 92
Looks great, but I wonder what the cost is and how it is manufactured. Would be nice to have though.

I am anxiously awaiting this technology too. Imagine a couple of molly bolts holding a 50" OLED TV up instead of the huge effort it takes to mount a plasma/LCD to a wall right now :)

I am guessing this would be more environmentally friendly - less power used than our current TV's.
The real question here do you buy stock in GLW or SNE

Unfortunately, my understanding (from a video industry insider) is that we WON'T see this superb technology for quite some time, until the flat panel manufacturers capture their full profit from LCD/Plasma/DLP production. The technology is here today, but will be held up as "next generation" displays.

It is my understanding that OLEDs don't have near the life span of other similar products as well.

My CD player in my car has a full color OLED :)

Back