"Sea Hunt"... "Flipper"... "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" ~ Underwater Listening..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
"Sea Hunt"... "Flipper"... "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" ~ Underwater Listening..

As you guys know - I have a swimming pool, anyway, I was looking for ML Systems on the Internet, as is my passion lately..., so I come-across "Underwater Speakers"... I guess, underwater speakers were originally developed by the US Navy, for military applications. But they actually sell powerful underwater transducers / speakers... Amazingly I could listen to music underwater in the summer time. Has anyone ever heard of these kinda speakers? The cabling must be heavily insulated? What kinda amplifier would it use? Would I need an underwater processor, source ~ CD/TT as well? Is this all possible? Is electrocution a likely possibility, just for the shear joy of listening to music while swimming underwater?

Lubell manufactures underwater transducers / speakers, like this LL9162T.

Attachments

• Lubell LL9162T - Underwater Speaker.jpg
    Lubell LL9162T - Underwater Speaker.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I am not sure how good the sound would be. Higher frequencies don’t like to travel through water. Low frequencies can travel forever in water. I think the speakers are only rated up to 10kHz.

What the....

I wonder if the sound is transparent and clear...

HAHAHAHA>..... I crack myself up!

Joey :D

Robin,

The Delano Hotel in South Beach Miami has underwater music.

Attachments

• IS24052_157121.jpg
    IS24052_157121.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 101
I wanna go see and hear...

Robin,

The Delano Hotel in South Beach Miami has underwater music.
SugarMedia,

I looks cool... I'm gonna remember the name of the Delano Hotel in South Beach, so if I ever go to Miami, I can stay there. :p

Thanks for the information. :cheers:

I'm gonna remember the name of the Delano Hotel in South Beach, so if I ever go to Miami, I can stay there. :p

If you get down there, you'd be better off staying at "The ShoreClub." This photo doesn't do it justice, but their infinity pool, grounds, food and rooms are far superior than what the Delano has to offer.

http://www.shoreclub.com/shore_club_pool.asp

Since both hotels are owned by the same mgmt company you can go to the Delano and get a $15. gym pass and then use the pool without having to pay for a hotel room.

Brilliant!

If you get down there, you'd be better off staying at "The ShoreClub." This photo doesn't do it justice, but their infinity pool, grounds, food and rooms are far superior than what the Delano has to offer.

http://www.shoreclub.com/shore_club_pool.asp

Since both hotels are owned by the same mgmt company you can go to the Delano and get a $15. gym pass and then use the pool without having to pay for a hotel room.
SugarMedia,

You know that does sound much better. :D

Thank you for the recommendation. :cheers:

So what kind of music would you recommend for underwater listening. In my case it would have to be short since I can't hold my breath that long. :eek:

Last edited:
I'm sure he would recommend the Sponge Bob Squarepants Soundtrack.:rocker:

As you guys know - I have a swimming pool, anyway, I was looking for ML Systems on the Internet, as is my passion lately..., so I come-across "Underwater Speakers"... I guess, underwater speakers were originally developed by the US Navy, for military applications. But they actually sell powerful underwater transducers / speakers... Amazingly I could listen to music underwater in the summer time. Has anyone ever heard of these kinda speakers? The cabling must be heavily insulated? What kinda amplifier would it use? Would I need an underwater processor, source ~ CD/TT as well? Is this all possible? Is electrocution a likely possibility, just for the shear joy of listening to music while swimming underwater?

Lubell manufactures underwater transducers / speakers, like this LL9162T.

Hi,
I used to work for a now defunct company called Divecomm, that made underwater communications equipment, for scuba divers. One of the products we made was called a recall unit. This was designed to 'recall' divers that were diving from a boat. It used the very same speaker you show in your picture. The recall unit could either just put out a tone (like a siren) for recalling, or you could put audio to it and play music. The speaker was designed to be run from a normal audio amp. It had an internal step-up transformer, and used a peizo-electric transducer to make sound. It actually sounded very good, with a full range frequency response. Our recall unit was battery powered, and used a 200 watt class D amp.

One of our employees went diving on the Andrea Doria (an ocean liner that went down off the coast of Long Island, NY). It is over 200 feet down, and you need to do decompression stops on the way back up, to prevent getting the bends. He brought along one of the recall units so they'd have music to listen to, while waiting at the decompression stops. One of the other dive boats there radioed them, saying 'is that Led Zepplin coming from you?' We later found out from a Navy Seal...it seems the Navy has underwater listening microphones all up and down the east coast, to listen for Russian subs, and they heard the music loud and clear also...:)

I'm not sure how it would sound in a swimming pool. Pools are terrible for audio, typically rectangular, with hard concrete or tile sides, they are like a huge 'echo chamber' for sound.

Peter

PS, one of our competitors still makes a recall unit, here:

http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/drs_100b.shtml

Last edited:
Fascinating / Interesting Information...

Peter,

I think it is very interesting that in a totally different medium, water vs air, as listening is magnified and echo off different surfaces. Sound also seems to travel farther in water as well. I know sound wave must be considered for our natural air environment but it just makes me think and realize that surface areas and environments are a crucial factors to consider. IMHO, the sound waves produced in a HT listening room or in a swimming pool are of vital importance for listening pleasure.

My swimming pool is curvy, no straight lines at all. I had it built to simulate a natural pond. Three-River-Stone laid around the pool edge / cap. The pool has a deep end about seven and a half feet deep and the shallow end is about three feet deep. I do have and eight to ten foot spa in the middle. Their are no metal grab / hand rails going into the pool as well. At $50K it was all I could afford but it is quite beautiful and relaxing if-I-do-say-so-myself... :p

If I decide to go this way, I do plan to definitely audition a unit first, in my pool to see if I like it... I wouldn't want an echo chamber type of sound. ;) But I think I would enjoy this kinda thing, as I spend a lot of time in the pool in the summer time. :D

Peter,

I think it is very interesting that in a totally different medium, water vs air, as listening is magnified and echo off different surfaces. Sound also seems to travel farther in water as well. I know sound wave must be considered for our natural air environment but it just makes me think and realize that surface areas and environments are a crucial factors to consider. IMHO, the sound waves produced in a HT listening room or in a swimming pool are of vital importance for listening pleasure.

My swimming pool is curvy, no straight lines at all. I had it built to simulate a natural pond. Three-River-Stone laid around the pool edge / cap. The pool has a deep end about seven and a half feet deep and the shallow end is about three feet deep. I do have and eight to ten foot spa in the middle. Their are no metal grab / hand rails going into the pool as well. At $50K it was all I could afford but it is quite beautiful and relaxing if-I-do-say-so-myself... :p

If I decide to go this way, I do plan to definitely audition a unit first, in my pool to see if I like it... I wouldn't want an echo chamber type of sound. ;) But I think I would enjoy this kinda thing, as I spend a lot of time in the pool in the summer time. :D

Robin,

This is a little closer to home. I remember the Holiday In in Palo Alto had underwater music back in the mid seventies. They had the same music going above and below. I think the were a lot of echo's when submerged. It definitely was not high fidelity.

I'm pretty sure the hotel is still there. Its on the El Camino, right accros the street from Stanford. Not sure if they still have the under water music.

Interesting and It Is Closer To Home...

Robin,

This is a little closer to home. I remember the Holiday In in Palo Alto had underwater music back in the mid seventies. They had the same music going above and below. I think the were a lot of echo's when submerged. It definitely was not high fidelity.

I'm pretty sure the hotel is still there. Its on the El Camino, right accros the street from Stanford. Not sure if they still have the under water music.
jjqiv,

I'll have to check this out as well sometime as it is closer to home. Maybe the El Camino has even improved their underwater sound since the mid
70's... :cheers:

Back