Speaker Cable Elevators

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioseduction

Reaction score
These are made of glass with a cork top which have some anti static properties.

I read that by elevating speaker cables off the floor you eliminate static charge and you lower capacitance. The net effect is lower noise and increased dynamics

What's your thoughts? :cool:

speakercableelevators.jpg

Last edited:
can you hear a difference?

Tom,

So far I find that it tightens the mid range a bit and for the high range it seems to present more detail while keeping it in focus. I find it a pleasant experience.

These are made of glass with a cork bottom.

I read that by elevating speaker cables off the floor you eliminate static charge and you lower capacitance. The net effect is lower noise and increased dynamics

What's your thoughts? :cool:

How much static charge can you get from a wood floor??
:confused:
Like Tom said, did you hear a difference?

So you don't get static charge from the floor but you now get it from the glass? I'd love to hear some A/B comparisons!

So you don't get static charge from the floor but you now get it from the glass? I'd love to hear some A/B comparisons!

Glass will conduct static. I'll insert something between the glass and cable that won't. I just like the look of the glass.

I will turn the jar over so the cable is setting on the cork. That should eliminate static charge since it has anti static properties.

Last edited:
Putting cork to floor should also help to minimize microphonic transmissions. More importantly, with the cork side down, there is less risk that the jars leave any marks in your beautiful rosewood floor.

Air suspension

I simply hang the speaker cables off the wall, using picture hooks, see pic. In theory the "air suspension" method should be superior. In practice, I have not heard any direct or even quantifiable improvements. And any longer term improvements since then must be attributed to the Vantages breaking in.

At least the speaker cables are away from the power cables and the floor now. Makes vacuuming the floor a whole lot easier, too!

(Note that I cleaned up the cable mess a bit since the photo was taken. For instance the power cables - below the speaker cables in the photo - to the Vantages are no longer there. They now feed off surge protectors located along the side walls. Speaker cables are now completely separated from power cords; interconnects are separated only reasonably well.)

Attachments

• frontal_cropped.jpg
    frontal_cropped.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,922
I use cable elevators primarily to keep the speaker cables seperated from the power cords.

Here's a budget cable lifter for you. Pieces of 2 inch PVC pipe. And no it's not my system. I already have enough to explain to the significant other.

Attachments

• 1170803659.jpg
    1170803659.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 5,687
rampage, I bought some cable lifters mostly to separate from the power cords. Also based on a audio theory: high end stereo needs everything separated. Do I hear a difference, not really, the mono amps and separated panel and bass speaker cables did 99 % of the improvements

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 16,246
Perhaps helium filled balloons?

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#expensive - it's really the bible on speaker wire as far as I'm concerned. I'm running the suggested outdoor low voltage wire he suggests. Good stuff - 12 gauge and it was free, left over from some outdoor lighting I ripped out.

Of course if you've done a real blind A-B test - and someone heard a difference.. I'm all ears..

I use cable risers. I really wanted my interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords away from each other. I have hard wood floors so static is minimal. Do I hear a difference? I tell myself I do, but in reality, no, not really. :) But hey, they look cool, and people ask me "what are those for" which usually leads to a good conversation. :)

106013.jpg

I bought these from SBAcoustics, they made a huge difference - quieter background, better highs, tighter bass!
Actually I made these out of butcher block. They serve their purpose of holding the quite heavy speaker cables. As for any sound difference - absolutely not!20150512_185902.jpg

I bought these from SBAcoustics, they made a huge difference - quieter background, better highs, tighter bass!
Actually I made these out of butcher block. They serve their purpose of holding the quite heavy speaker cables. As for any sound difference - absolutely not!View attachment 17931

Off topic.... But how are your be20 holding so far?, what martin logans did you have prior to them, and what are your impressions?

👍👍

Latest posts

Back