Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker Cable Elevators

Perhaps helium filled balloons?

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#expensive - it's really the bible on speaker wire as far as I'm concerned. I'm running the suggested outdoor low voltage wire he suggests. Good stuff - 12 gauge and it was free, left over from some outdoor lighting I ripped out.

Of course if you've done a real blind A-B test - and someone heard a difference.. I'm all ears..

I use cable risers. I really wanted my interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords away from each other. I have hard wood floors so static is minimal. Do I hear a difference? I tell myself I do, but in reality, no, not really. But hey, they look cool, and people ask me "what are those for" which usually leads to a good conversation.

My Home Theater (including full equipment list, pictures, and room build gallery): Home Theater web page

I bought these from SBAcoustics, they made a huge difference - quieter background, better highs, tighter bass!
    Actually I made these out of butcher block. They serve their purpose of holding the quite heavy speaker cables. As for any sound difference - absolutely not!Name:  20150512_185902.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  125.4 KB
    CAPS-like music server w/2 external linear PSUs, Win2K12 server + JRiver v21, 6TB eSATA storage, Esoteric K-03 SACD/DAC, Purity Audio Basis Mk 2.2 preamp, Wells Audio Inamorata amp, Usher BE20D speakers (with GR Research xover upgrade), JPS Aluminata spkr cables, JPS Superconductor 3 ICs, Shunyata and PSAudio PCs, Stillpoints,, DIY absorption + diffusion, 3 dedicated 20 amp breakers w/Hubbell HBL5362W receptacles in a ~19 x 17 x 9 listening room.

Nice job with the DIY elevators. That speaker cable looks amazing!
    My Home Theater (including full equipment list, pictures, and room build gallery): Home Theater web page

Quote Originally Posted by sb6 View Post
    I bought these from SBAcoustics, they made a huge difference - quieter background, better highs, tighter bass!
    Actually I made these out of butcher block. They serve their purpose of holding the quite heavy speaker cables. As for any sound difference - absolutely not!Name:  20150512_185902.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  125.4 KB
    Off topic.... But how are your be20 holding so far?, what martin logans did you have prior to them, and what are your impressions?

👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post
    Off topic.... But how are your be20 holding so far?, what martin logans did you have prior to them, and what are your impressions?

👍👍
    invenio - Thanks the JPS Aluminata made a significant improvement over my previous cables AudioQuest Pike's Peak. Biggest change was in micro detail and much quieter background.

bsandovalb - I just finished a complete electronics upgrade to the BE20Ds from GR Research - all upgraded components, internal cabling and binding posts, everything direct soldered via Mundorf silver solder, xover frequencies changed to reduce the overly "warm" bass and bass output tuned to my room. Not broken in, but almost there.

I had the SL3s and then the Summits. The Summits were great speakers, great imaging powerful bass, much better than the SL3s. But to be 100% honest, when I moved to the BE20Ds there was simply no comparison. Of course, they s/b better at 2x the price. However, the Ushers are known to punch way above their price point. From what I'm hearing with the recent upgrades, I'm even more convinced of this.
    CAPS-like music server w/2 external linear PSUs, Win2K12 server + JRiver v21, 6TB eSATA storage, Esoteric K-03 SACD/DAC, Purity Audio Basis Mk 2.2 preamp, Wells Audio Inamorata amp, Usher BE20D speakers (with GR Research xover upgrade), JPS Aluminata spkr cables, JPS Superconductor 3 ICs, Shunyata and PSAudio PCs, Stillpoints,, DIY absorption + diffusion, 3 dedicated 20 amp breakers w/Hubbell HBL5362W receptacles in a ~19 x 17 x 9 listening room.

invenio - Thanks the JPS Aluminata made a significant improvement over my previous cables AudioQuest Pike's Peak. Biggest change was in micro detail and much quieter background.

bsandovalb - I just finished a complete electronics upgrade to the BE20Ds from GR Research - all upgraded components, internal cabling and binding posts, everything direct soldered via Mundorf silver solder, xover frequencies changed to reduce the overly "warm" bass and bass output tuned to my room. Not broken in, but almost there.

I had the SL3s and then the Summits. The Summits were great speakers, great imaging powerful bass, much better than the SL3s. But to be 100% honest, when I moved to the BE20Ds there was simply no comparison. Of course, they s/b better at 2x the price. However, the Ushers are known to punch way above their price point. From what I'm hearing with the recent upgrades, I'm even more convinced of this.
    that is great to hear!.... I have the Usher be-10 and think they are amazing.... I also almost pulled the trigger with the GR crossover upgrade... only problem for me is that I am in Costa Rica and he told me that I needed to take apart my crossover and send them to him, when I would have thought that given he has made these upgrades before, he would simply make my crossovers and send them to me directly....

I have also SL3, the Odysseys... I also have CLS2... but this be10, at least for me has been a great revelation... great dynamics but with a transparency that does not make me miss the stats... a friend of mine that have the Ethos visited me a month ago and he told me he was truly impressed with the Ushers... so yes, definitely they do a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post
    that is great to hear!.... I have the Usher be-10 and think they are amazing.... I also almost pulled the trigger with the GR crossover upgrade... only problem for me is that I am in Costa Rica and he told me that I needed to take apart my crossover and send them to him, when I would have thought that given he has made these upgrades before, he would simply make my crossovers and send them to me directly....

I have also SL3, the Odysseys... I also have CLS2... but this be10, at least for me has been a great revelation... great dynamics but with a transparency that does not make me miss the stats... a friend of mine that have the Ethos visited me a month ago and he told me he was truly impressed with the Ushers... so yes, definitely they do a great job!
    I'm surprised to hear that Danny would need your xovers. As you said, he should be able to just send you the upgraded ones which is what he did for me. If you can make it happen, its worth the $, significant improvement. But a friendly warning - if you like the somewhat warm sound via the bass riding up into the 400 Hz you will most certainly lose that but will gain significant clarity (not that they weren't already very good at retrieving detail) tighter more articulate bass and a more relaxed effortless sound. enjoy!

I'm surprised to hear that Danny would need your xovers. As you said, he should be able to just send you the upgraded ones which is what he did for me. If you can make it happen, its worth the $, significant improvement. But a friendly warning - if you like the somewhat warm sound via the bass riding up into the 400 Hz you will most certainly lose that but will gain significant clarity (not that they weren't already very good at retrieving detail) tighter more articulate bass and a more relaxed effortless sound. enjoy!
    Thanks for the insights, will ask danny again in the next weeks and see if he can make them, he told me that he had the info for the be20 but not be10...., cheers!