Looking for a new DAC... but wait!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Looking for a new DAC guys and I have been very interested in the PS Audio Digital Link III since I can get it for 30% off. They say it's warm, and I like that. But no good reviews are out for it. If you guys have any other DACs that you want me to look at, let me know.

However, in addition to the DAC search, I found that certain CDP have digital inputs which allow for use as a DAC! This would definitely kill 2 birdies with 1 stone! I have been looking at several Cary pieces... namely the 306/200 non-SACD one, since I have no plans of SACD and it's cheaper on the 'gon ($2200 vs $3800).

OR the Cary 303/300, which is a very interesting player, being that it's both tubes and SS!

Now, with regards to the 303/300, can I use both outputs (tubes/ss) when using it solely as a DAC for the Squeezebox? Dave... help me! I know you have the 303/300!!

Joey

Joey, I would think you could for the player is designed with dual output stages. it offers a solid state and a tube based output section, either of which may be switched in or out of use 'on the fly' so that comparisons may be done. Both the SS and tube based sections have three digital outputs. The dig output section can run at a sample rate of 44.1kHz or can be upsampled to either 96 or 192 kHz.

Joey, may I ask what made you decide in favor of an external DAC vs Transporter?

Joey, I would think you could for the player is designed with dual output stages. it offers a solid state and a tube based output section, either of which may be switched in or out of use 'on the fly' so that comparisons may be done. Both the SS and tube based sections have three digital outputs. The dig output section can run at a sample rate of 44.1kHz or can be upsampled to either 96 or 192 kHz.
Dave,
Just to double check, does the 303/300 have digital inputs? I think the 306/200 does.... but I may have been mistaken with the 303/300...

Ah. Do you consider solid state at all or must your future DAC have a tubed output stage?

Yeah.. looking at the Cary 306/300, that thing is beastly! The digital inputs are definitely a great plus! I can finally get a CDP and a good DAC for all my FLAC files.

I'm wondering if there are any other companies that have something like this... perhaps something from Krell or Ayre or Meridian or Wadia....

Just in case you are interested audiogon has a BAT cd player for sale at $2400. I have heard the player, it is fantastic and it is tubed.

Last edited:
I really dont know.... I guess SS is ok since I have the Cary tube pre...
OK. I have done some reading on the subject because either a DAC (non-tubed) or a Transporter are on my immediate shopping list (Uh-oh!). Most discussions divide DACs into two camps, oversampling vs not. Do you have a preference?

The Cary CD players are all excellent but not all of them have digital inputs. I also am planning to use one as a great DAC for my SB3 when I'm not playing cds.

The 300/300 does not have digital input but does have volume control. (uses tubes, great upspampling range)
The 306/200 has digital imputs and volume control (better DAC upsampling
The 306/SACD has digital inputs but no volume control (Outstading SACD and Redbook Player
The 300/200 has both digital inputs and volume control upsampling DAC
The 300/100 has niether, good basic player
They all play HDCD

The Cary DVD players make fine CD players with volume control and no digital inputs.

Last edited:
Joey,

That Cary idea sounds very interesting... very interesting indeed. You'd finally make some people *ahem, cough cough* happy.

Hey Joey,
The latest Absolute Sound has a small review of the new PS Audio Trio amps, preamp and DAC. The reviewer really liked the DAC. Not that I trust magazine reviews that much, it is some additional information.

For a good price to performance DAC, the Channel Islands Audio DAC, the VDA-2 with additional Power Supply (PS highly recommended) is a great product to look at. $500-$600 for DAC and PS if not mistaken, but check out their website for acutal price.

Jeff Z just had the upgrade done on his VDA-2 from CIA (free upgrade) and really likes this DAC with his Rotel CD Player. If interested ask Jeff Z about it. CIA is a great company to deal with as Dusty provides a very good product and excellent customer support.

Dan

Sounds like a good plan, but I'd say if flexibility is important to you, you're not achieving that by going with the cary. That isn't to say that the cary dac isn't first rate...cause it may be, but you lose the ability to play around with a $500 componenent by tying it into a $2500 one.

I'm sure both the player and DAC are first rate, though (coming from Cary) so it doesn't seem like a huge risk in terms of quality...just flexibility.

The MHDT Paradisea is a great little $500 tubed output DAC that I just got recently, and am very happy with. Has somewhat of a cult following. Worth looking into if you go the seperate DAC route.

Here are a few options worth considering:
If you can find one on A'Gon, I'd get a first-rate CD player (as you've mentioned you're not interested in SACD) with digital input, Mark Levinson No 39 CD Processor or the SimAudio Moon Eclipse. I know these are older players but they are still head-and-shoulder above lots of other current players on the market. A friend of mine got the Levinson No 39 about a year ago and he like it much better than the Krell or BAT (VK-CD5i) despite the "evil op-amp" of the Levinson vs class A output of the Krell or tubed output of the BAT! Go figure. Needless to say, he sold the Krell KPS-30i and the BAT. Heck, the Krell KPS 30/20i (top-loaders) are solid performers as well, but you'll have to listen to them and find out whether you like the forward presentation of the Krells.
For DACs, I'd look at the
  1. Stello DA200 MkII which has been favorably compared to the lofty Zanden DAC! Also, Stello does have the CDA-320 which is a one-box CD player with digital input for convenience.
  2. Monarchy Audio M24 DAC although you won't be using the linestage portion.
  3. Pacific Valve modded Lite DAC62 tubed output stage. Some says that the Monarchy M24 is a rebaded Lite DAC-62 but I cannot verify the claim. The layout and the DAC boards certainly look similar between these two DACs though. If you don't need the linestage portion, you might save $$$$ going with the DAC62 (if you're convinced that they are the same).
Hell, if you believe this review of the Transporter, you should just get the Transporter and be done with it!

So, that's my short list of things to look at, assuming that you've already looked up other well-known brands on the web.

Happy reading and have fun with your auditions...

Spike

Last edited:
Dan is correct, I do have the Channel Islands DAV VDA-2 with the latest mod and it is amazing especially for the price. I would put it up against others costing at least twice as much..

I am confused on why you feel you need a DAC or what you are trying to achieve?

Jeff:cool:

Being 24 I'll try to guess his idea for a DAC.....

He has a Squeezbox, so I know he listens to music from a PC, he has a PS3 and/or an Xbox360.... both would have the option of a digital out. So I'm guessing he wants to get the most use he can out of his beautiful Summits and use these "alternative" sources through an external DAC which would provide the best possible quality out of them!

Latest posts

Back