New to ML, help with this 5.1 setup.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone fill in the ML chain? The current line is obvious, what I'm unclear on is how the previous generations fit in.

IE, where do the Aeon's or SL3's fit in when comparing to the current generation panels. My plan is to listen to the current line up, and there a couple of locations throught NYC that I can do that.

And then make a decision in a week or two. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I end up with, just want to spend my dollars wisely.

The Vista replaced the Aeon i, the Vantage replaced both the Ascent and the Odyssey, and the Summit replaced the Prodigy. I do not remember about the SL3, sorry.

I'm trying to justify whether or not to spend the extra money to replace my current surrounds with something from ML...specifically a pair of used Scripts. I'm assuming there is a big difference for multichannel music, but not as convinced I would notice much difference for most movies.
Surrounds put out more information in movies than you would realize, especially in the louder in-your-face scenes, otherwise just ambient, directional type sounds are there. But I have heard surround systems with small speakers and full range type speakers, and the full range speaker as a surround wins hands down for me everytime. But again this is my opinon and each person has to decide which is best for their budget.

BTW, I use Sequel II's as my surrounds :) Love that 4ft panel !!!

Dan

Surrounds put out more information in movies than you would realize, especially in the louder in-your-face scenes, otherwise just ambient, directional type sounds are there. But I have heard surround systems with small speakers and full range type speakers, and the full range speaker as a surround wins hands down for me everytime. But again this is my opinon and each person has to decide which is best for their budget.

BTW, I use Sequel II's as my surrounds :) Love that 4ft panel !!!

Dan

Yeah, that's kind of what I feared. Floor standing surrounds would not be possible, but I may start looking for some scripts for the new media room, as a baby step before upgrading my Claritys. Moving into the new house shortly, I expect there will be lots to purchase, before doing anything else on the HT though!

Yeah, that's kind of what I feared.
We all have to make sacrifices for what we really want against what we can afford or use in our living spaces. So it is always best to listen to as much stuff in your range and pick the best solution. Remember there is no right or wrong, just what is best for you.

Dan

Pat17,

When you mention fantastic improvement with ML surrounds, are you refering to multi-channel music, movies, or both?

Basically, the improvement is when I listen to SACDs. I've noticed that multichannel DSD signals are very demanding to your system - if your setup is not homogeneous, you'll lose a lot of the SACDs quality. It can be for the reverb, that will look less natural, or for some sections of the music, as sometimes you have strings or wind or other instruments located on the rear stage. Homogeneous means same kind of amplifiers - if not the same models at least the same series - interconnect, if possible HP speakers - which is not the case for me - and... the same series of speakers. When I switched from Infinity HPs to ML ESLs, the difference was quite obvious.

It's also important for movies, but not to the same extent. Of course, if one sound is "travelling" on the various speakers in order to reflect a movement (car, plane, helicopter, horse, whatever) you'll perceive immediately that there's something wrong if the speakers are different. Beside this specific case, the impact is not as noticeable as for the multichannel music, IMHO. ;)

So the Harvey's on 45th only had the Clarities and the Summits in the showroom.

I was able to spend some time listening to the Summits in a 2 channel system, and they rocked. Very impressive speaker, I truly enjoyed listening to them.

I was surprised at the vertical dispersion pattern though. Very distinct change in the sound from the sitting and standing positions. Is this a setup issue, or the nature of the panels?

I was able to spend some time listening to the Summits in a 2 channel system, and they rocked. Very impressive speaker, I truly enjoyed listening to them.

I was surprised at the vertical dispersion pattern though. Very distinct change in the sound from the sitting and standing positions. Is this a setup issue, or the nature of the panels?

Can't speak specifically to the Summits, but I believe what you heard is inherent in the technology. Of course, speaker setup can make these issues better or worse. ML curves their panels to provide better horizontal dispersion, and you can tilt the speakers back slightly for better vertical dispersion, depending on your setup. I have my Claritys tilted back slightly, which provides good coverage in the seated listening position, as well as on bar stools a few feet behind my couch.

This was a big concern for me before buying ML's. However, I don't even notice it in my current setup. If I am listening, I will be in one of the two positions listed above. If I am standing, or off center, the speakers are only providing background, and I don't notice the lack of coverage in those locations.

Basically, the improvement is when I listen to SACDs. I've noticed that multichannel DSD signals are very demanding to your system - if your setup is not homogeneous, you'll lose a lot of the SACDs quality. It can be for the reverb, that will look less natural, or for some sections of the music, as sometimes you have strings or wind or other instruments located on the rear stage. Homogeneous means same kind of amplifiers - if not the same models at least the same series - interconnect, if possible HP speakers - which is not the case for me - and... the same series of speakers. …
Totally agree that on good multichannel DVD-A or SACD recordings they really put all channels to use. This is why both Center and Surrounds really need to be same technology and, preferably, same model.
That of course is pretty hard to actually achieve, but it speaks to the demands of good high quality recordings.
I know I really appreciate the subtleties and significant content that these recordings will present in all speakers.

Likewise, many of the soundtracks on HD-DVD are putting new demands on surrounds that might not have been there before. Batman Begins is a movie that comes to mind as a very good Dolby TrueHD recording with very aggressive use of the rears.

Totally agree that on good multichannel DVD-A or SACD recordings they really put all channels to use. This is why both Center and Surrounds really need to be same technology and, preferably, same model.
That of course is pretty hard to actually achieve, but it speaks to the demands of good high quality recordings.
I know I really appreciate the subtleties and significant content that these recordings will present in all speakers.

Likewise, many of the soundtracks on HD-DVD are putting new demands on surrounds that might not have been there before. Batman Begins is a movie that comes to mind as a very good Dolby TrueHD recording with very aggressive use of the rears.

I completely agree. I have Vista's with a Grotto sub, Cinema center and 4 scripts for surrounds. In the newer movies you can really hear the surrounds. In MI-III when they start up the helicopter you can hear that blade rotate right over your head and it moves through all of the chanels so they closer in technology they are they better the illusion is.

John, as Steve is mentionning, this is part of the ESL technology. I recently had the opportunity to listen to the Summits, and I was amazed how the Summit's vertical dispersion was... good, compared to my Claritys... ;)

ML is making quite an achievement to reduce the issue, but unfortunately it's still there...

Back