System #166 (Sequel II)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit house

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Shuji

2. Location: Maizuru city, Kyoto pref., Japan

3. ML Model(s): Sequel II

4. Year Purchased: 2005 (secondhand)

5. Mods/Change
Putting lead weights on the top of the panels
Putting damping materials on the surface of the panels
Putting damping materials on the surface of the woofer boxes

6. Associated Electronics:
SACD player “ Marantz SA11-S1”
Control amplifier “ Marantz ”SC-7S1”
Main mono amplifier “ Marantz MA-9S1”
Analog player " Pro-ject debut III SB"
ALL cables except one cable for the projector ;
“Handmade by myself using thin copper tubes with star quad construction”
Projector “ Hitachi PJ-TX100J”

7. Comments
I have been struggling to enjoy music and movies with big ML in my Japanese small room. In order to get a better sound with much reality, I have tried to modify ML and also made much effort for room acoustics, power supply and cables. It’s very fun to feel a sound change after each effort.

Please don't laugh at the small room shown below.

Shuji

CONTENTS OF THIS THREAD
1. Lead weight on the top of ML panels and dampers on the surface of panels ... post #9 & 17
2. Handmade cables ... post #26, 27 & 28
3. Power source ... post #32
4. Room acoustics ... post #35
5. Small topic..."The effect of Japanese coins" ... post #41
6. Rearrangement of room appearance ... post #56
7. Stopping the vibration on grills of ML speakers ... post #63 & 66
8. Insulator for SACD player ... post #81

Attachments

• IMG_4548a.jpg
    IMG_4548a.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 4,034
Last edited:
Good lord that's a sweet setup you have there! It's nice to see a Sequel II owner from Japan on the forum as well! Welcome.

..... That room isn't the smallest I have seen :)

Rabbit house,

Even though it is a small room, that doesn't take away from the fact that your setup looks great in that space :) Love the Marantz equipment, I'm jealous. Welcome aboard!

Seth

Shuji, Welcome ! I trust you are more than satisfied with your Marantz SACD/Cd player ?? ! Happy Listening !

Super Sequel II System...

Shuji,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!

Your system maybe in a small listening room but you have definately worked with the room and made it into near-field listening Sonic Nirvana. I just love all of your dampers and sonic room modifications as well as all of your audio electronic gear. You must be quite talented to have created all your own audio cables. :wow: That's just Brilliant!:cheers:

It is great to have you here! :D

I totally agree with your signature !

Good lord that's a sweet setup you have there! It's nice to see a Sequel II owner from Japan on the forum as well! Welcome.

..... That room isn't the smallest I have seen :)

Thank you very much for your warm welcome, Beat_Dominator !
I love your signature. It's very secret that my all equipments are second-hand. I'd like to admire those makers' reliability and quality because I
could buy them without any hesitation.

To our regret, we can't buy new ML in Japan because there is no
agent now.

Thanks!

Shuji,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!

Your system maybe in a small listening room but you have definately worked with the room and made it into near-field listening Sonic Nirvana. I just love all of your dampers and sonic room modifications as well as all of your audio electronic gear. You must be quite talented to have created all your own audio cables. :wow: That's just Brilliant!:cheers:

It is great to have you here! :D

I already checked your unique room. I'm sure you're also talented and creative. I was really impressed with your hanging ML! And "Wow" to you, too.
I'll show you my dampers below.

Attachments

• DSC00699.JPG
    DSC00699.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 5,015
Thank you for you welcome mail. Have you ever used any Marantz? If so, which one is your favorite?

I have not, but a friend of mine is considering(if he hasen't already purchased it) the 7600 universal player. I have heard that it is a respectable piece at it's price point.

Wow, I thought my room was small...

Looks like you've made the best of a tight situation though. I bet it sounds pretty good, being driven by all that gorgeous Marantz gear.

What sort of materials are you using for damping the ELS panels and the woofer boxes? In the photos it looks like some sort of foil.

I'm VERY curious about your home-made cables.

So, your cables are made of thin copper tube? I'd LOVE to see photos of them in progress of being made! How thin is the copper tubing? It must be a LOt thinner than plumbing-grade stuff, to be flexible enough for cables. How do you insulate them?

I make my own cables too, but I've never considered copper tubing because all the really small stuff I can find is REALLY hard to bend without kinking it. Most of my cables have been braided designs (like Kimber), and some have sounded pretty good (others have actually sounded worse than lamp-cord--VERY expensive trial-and-error in speaker cable design)

Please, more details!

Thanks and Welcome to the forum,
--Richard C.

Dampers...

Shuji,

Your dampers on your Sequel II's are most impressive, most impressive indeed. I look foreward to reading about the sonic benefits / findings you have made. :musicnote: Your sonic room modifications are great. :D Have you done many sonic room additions to you ceiling as well? I found a photo of an impressive looking ceiling, which has been sonically improved for HT... ;)

Attachments

• Listening Room Ceiling.jpg
    Listening Room Ceiling.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 4,020
dampers for ML

Thank you for your warm welcome, Richard ! Wow, your room looks small, too !
You gave me two questions. But I want to explain first about dampers because I have not prepared for explaining about cables. May be, next weekend.
Thank you for nice picture, Robin! Big room! Very professional room care!

Anyway, I'll try to explain about dampers though I'm not good at English.

(Dampers on the surface of the panel and woofer boxes)
One day when I listened to music loudly, I touched the surface of the panel.
I felt much vibration then. I guessed there were two kinds of bad influence
by the vibration of the panels. One is that the vibration made sound, and
the other was that the vibration made the clear film vibrate electrostatcally.
So I decided to try to put the dampers on the front and back panels.

The materials for the damper ( Viscosity and weight is important, I think.)
*lead tapes and Isobutylene-isoprene rubbers (putting them together with adhesive tape)
*FoQ sheets(Japanese products which exchanges the vibration energy into electric energy, then into heat energy)

(Effect of those dampers)
Lead and rubbers were better for this application.
I've got amazing progress with those dampers as I expected. And it doesn't cost much. Though I think ML is very sensitive speaker, I could get much clearer sound stage with these dampers. Why don’t you try once ? It’s easy to try and easy to remove when you don’t like the result. But please be careful and don’t forget these panels are electric devices.

(Weights on the top of the ML)
One day I thought that tall speakers like ML might tend to lose some sound energy especially on low and middle frequency because the moment force is quite big compared to compact speakers' when they receive much force as the reaction to radiate sound. So I decided to add inertia moment with weights on the top of ML.
I put the lead weights (7.5kg (16.5lb) to each speaker).

(Effect of those weights)
Oh yes! I’ve got clearer and stronger sound image on low and middle frequency as I expected. I can feel it now from the beautiful realistic vocals.

It takes long time for me to describe in English. Sorry if I might mistake any English. Everybody, if you have any experience about dampers for ML, please tell me!

Shuji

Your English was fine! The reasons for adding the dampers are very clever! I hadn't thought of it in the way you describe, but it makes a lot of sense that the top might not be anchored in place enough to prevent a degrading of the sound.

I might just do some tests of my own now :)

Your English was fine! The reasons for adding the dampers are very clever! I hadn't thought of it in the way you describe, but it makes a lot of sense that the top might not be anchored in place enough to prevent a degrading of the sound.

I might just do some tests of my own now :)

Thank you for your comments! I'm looking forward to getting any information about your tests.:)

Welcome, Rabbit !

The size of paradise does not matter, as long as it IS paradise.

It's really great to have a member from Japan here - there's a lot of stuff you've got in Japan that never goes outside your country's borders and it's nice to know we've got somebody to ask questions about it, not to mention times when we really might need quality translation of specifications belonging to some audio product from the past or from the future... I'll ring your bell for sure :)

Latest posts

Back