System #164 (Vantage, Stage, Vignette, Grotto)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question, but I thought the PS3 doesn't have support for high res audio and was told that it can only produce DVD quality sound. Is that true?

Are you talking about music or movie? My PS3 has no problems decoding DTS-HD or DolbyHD.

Ps3

Just a question, but I thought the PS3 doesn't have support for high res audio and was told that it can only produce DVD quality sound. Is that true?

PS3 (fatty) could decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio (inlcuding DTS HD) and internally and pass the signal as PCM via HDMI. The PS3 Slim can bitstream over HDMI and internally decode. Some of the older PS3's (I have the 80 gig) also have SACD decoding built-in.

When playing a 3D blu-ray, the PS3 is limited to lossy dolby and dts formats. That is for 3D only though. Not for 2D blu-rays.

Over the past two weeks, i have finally had the chance to really use my theater room to its max capability! Wow!! The Sunfire amp really allows me to turn up the volume...to the level of a real movie theater now without a single hiccup!! Everything just sounds so amazing!! :bowdown::music:

How do you feel the Vignette pair up with the Vantage?

I have a very similar setup to you, except I have the Aerius i back there...always wondered how something smaller would sound.

I don't use my 5.1 system for music. For music, it is basically a 2-channel affair. I only use my 5.1 system for movies...and as such, the surrounds don't get much exercise other than flying bullets and off-in-the-distance explosion. This was why i chose to stay "cheap" with the surrounds and focus my money on the 3 front speakers and subwoofer.

I don't use my 5.1 system for music. For music, it is basically a 2-channel affair. I only use my 5.1 system for movies...and as such, the surrounds don't get much exercise other than flying bullets and off-in-the-distance explosion. This was why i chose to stay "cheap" with the surrounds and focus my money on the 3 front speakers and subwoofer.

I have Vignettes for rears, too, and think that it works fine.

Today, i moved my subwoofer out of the corner to a more centralized position. Adjusted Audyssey. I like the new look and sound so far...more evaluations to come.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 450
Updated pics

Here are some updated pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 165
Got a new Blu-ray player: LG UP970. Overkill for my 10+ year old TV and AVR, but it is future proof and I got it cheap for $139.

Attachments

• IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back