Omnidirectional Speakers - What's cool

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, if you have ML's, you are already in the club of the 'big soundstage' with the dipole nature of the ESL's.
So how about looking at what Omni-directional speakers can do. These give very wide soundstages and can be ideal in rooms that do not lend themselves to 'ideal' positioning of box or dipole radiators.

The most amazing omni’s are the MBL’s, but there is already a thread on those here, so I won’t rehash.

There are quite a few designs for Omni’s that use Dynamic speakers, some are quite beautiful. Once again, a German firm does top notch work. These are from Duevel

Bubinga.jpg

What else is out there? (Robin, care to take up the Easter egg hunt here? ;)

OK, if you have ML's, you are already in the club of the 'big soundstage' with the dipole nature of the ESL's.
So how about looking at what Omni-directional speakers can do. These give very wide soundstages and can be ideal in rooms that do not lend themselves to 'ideal' positioning of box or dipole radiators.

What else is out there? (Robin, care to take up the Easter egg hunt here? ;)

Back in the 70's I owned a pair of BIC Soundspans I believe the model number was TPR600.They were omni directional speakers, the woofer fired down into the cabinet and the midrange and tweeter were also mounted horizontally put fired up,The tweeter was mounted above the midrange in a deflector for the midrange and there was another deflector above the tweeter to throw the sound out in a 360 degree pattern.The imaging and soundstage of these speakers was amazing at the time but the sound quality was just average.

At that time I always drooled over the Ohm Walsh another Omni directional speaker but could never afford it.

Wish I had pics, will leave the search up to Robin

Last edited:
I have heard Mirage Omnisats at Chipotle and despite a REALLY bad listening environment, those speakers really amazed me. They'd probably make lousy surrounds but if I was doing whole house audio, I'd definitely consider them (unless of course, I could afford Passages or Tickets LOL).

From what I've read about the Melior/Musetex speakers omni-directional speakers are even a bigger headache acoustically.

Those planet speakers would be cool if the big global was painted like the Earth and the little one was painted like the Moon. Oh! And then mount an Enterprise, Galactica or Empiral Battle Crusier orbiting the Earth! That would be seriously cool.

Those planet speakers would be cool if the big global was painted like the Earth and the little one was painted like the Moon. Oh! And then mount an Enterprise, Galactica or Empiral Battle Crusier orbiting the Earth! That would be seriously cool.

DUDE, an Imperial battle Cruiser chasing a Blockade runner like the opening of SW:ANH! Wouldn't that be SUPER COOL! I might pass on the MBL 101's for something like that! YEA BABY!

OR, get this, you could to the small one as the Death Star orbiting Endor!! Then have a Superstar destroyer near the death star! That would be SOOO COOL! Yea, I am a Star Wars geek...saw it when it came out when I was 12 and have never NOT loved it!

Latest posts

Back