Summits Buzzing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pharmacyman

One of my Summits is buzzing, the noise is coming from the sub woofer and is only really noticeable when I play dance music with a heavy bass line at highish levels, is this problem something serious or could it just be a loose connection?

I haven't noticed this with my Summits but have noticed it under the same circumstances with my Apogee Divas. In the Diva's case it is in need of a new bass ribbon. In the case of the Logans would think it is a connection problem internally, but do check the power cord on the affected speaker. I did hear a slight buzz when I accidently knocked the power cord partially out of one of the speakers. I replaced both cords with ESP Essence, a tighter fit, and the problem has not recurred. I have not read before of blown Summit woofers, but this could be a culprit as could a loose woofer. Is the buzz from both woofers on the affected speaker or just one?

Just one of the cones, appears to be the forward facing one, the buzzing has got worse and is even there when no signal is coming from the amp, cone appears a little loose?! Thought I might remove the earth wire to see if this cures it.

Sounds like a ground problem with your interconnect

Given the fact that the buzz occurs without any signal, that rules out the blown driver theory. Try switching the interconnect from your amp / preamp from left to right or vice versa. If that doesn't do it, try your other source interconnects from the source to the preamp. If the noise moves to the other speaker, that's what it is and the fix is obvious. I had this issue with a pair of MIT's in the past.

Good luck!

GG

How long have you had them? If purchased NEW, they are still under warranty, so I wouldn't start taking anything apart without speaking to ML or your dealer first.

I purchased mine used, and ended up taking them apart to investigate a faulty front woofer. Luckily for me, it was just a loose connection on the amp board, and I was able to access the connection by removing the bottom woofer. Unfortunately, accessing the FRONT woofer *directly* requires removal of the stat panel, because there is a partition separating the two compartments. See cutaway photo attached.

Attachments

• summit_cutaway.jpg
    summit_cutaway.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,949
Just one of the cones, appears to be the forward facing one, the buzzing has got worse and is even there when no signal is coming from the amp, cone appears a little loose?! Thought I might remove the earth wire to see if this cures it.

Is this a 60Hz type buzz? If it is being used as part of a HT system you might have a grouding issue from your Satellite or Cable TV source. That is a common problem on this side of the pond, and I have that same issue w/ my Descent Sub. If it is on and nothing else in the system is on, it still has a slight buzz. It gets louder if you turn up the sub vol. and quieter if you turn it down but it never goes away and does not get louder or softer based on what is being played...just always there at the same level in the background. Will be doing some component swapping and such and will address it then. There are some suggestions that might work for you too on the Descent Buzzing thread. The first way to check that is to disconnect your video source if you are in fact using this as part of the HT.

If you are NOT using these as part of an HT set up, then I don't have a CLUE what the problem might be.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your hints and tips so far, I am going to pass them onto someone I know who is an electronics wizz, could I have damaged the crossover in any way?

Latest posts

Back