"MBL Speakers" ~ Hybrids From Another Dimension, A Dimension of Site and Sound...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diamonds,

Your dealer in Phoenix is the official MBL distributor for America.

Damn, I wish I owned James' 101A's... I mean, I wish I had the cash, I'd go to Phoenix is a heart beat. Heck, I'd even go to Germany to MBL's main plant, to acquire some MBL101e's, and I hate to fly... :D

James,

Maybe, I could visit your 101A's, we could work out a joint custity arrangement... You could fly me to Texas every other weekend.
Or if your 101A's reproduce, I could have pick of the letter... :D

:D Only kidding...

I had no idea...Thanks! :cheers:

James,

Maybe, I could visit your 101A's, we could work out a joint custity arrangement... You could fly me to Texas every other weekend.
Or if your 101A's reproduce, I could have pick of the letter

You are NOT KIDDING! I know you! :D I am looking forward to the a's and maybe someday when I actually have some SERIOUS money there will be d's on A'gon for $15k and I will get those...then I could use the a's as rear surrounds in a 5.1 system! Wouldn't that be a HOOT?!

I got SOOO lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to get those 101a model's! Like my dad say's, "Occassionally a blind squirrel finds a nut." (I know I misspelled all those words...sorry my spelling sucks :eek: )

Attachments

• med101a.jpg
    med101a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I like the smiley faces on the cinder blocks behind the speakers...

I like the smiley faces on the cinder blocks behind the speakers...

That must be the holding location for old gear on the way out or new gear on deck before integration. Look above the speaker at all the stuff up there.

The guy can afford it, Bentley, Range Rover, S55 AMG, E class Cab, and C class all parked in the driveway! Being an ENT is a good way to go I guess. Oh, not to mention the $45k TAD (I think that is the brand) speakers that replaced these!

The guy can afford it, Bentley, Range Rover, S55 AMG, E class Cab, and C class all parked in the driveway! Being an ENT is a good way to go I guess. Oh, not to mention the $45k TAD (I think that is the brand) speakers that replaced these!

Good god... ENT make boatloads, and they have a cushy life for a surgeon.

:)

Good god... ENT make boatloads, and they have a cushy life for a surgeon.

:)

Roger that! I have one here in Austin that I call on that has a Ferrari 328, and a Jag. He is married to an Ob/Gyn I think... or maybe she is an opthomologist, I can't remember, his first wife died of CA a few years back. Nice guy. Part of a big group...they all have more money than they can spend! :D Wish I did, but I have pretty big taste, so it would SURE take A LOT of money for me to be at that point! LOL! :haha1:

THEY HAVE ARRIVED! My good friend and neighbor flew out to Monroe, LA to pick them up today. He had a TERRIBLE flight (VERY, VERY bumpy, ALL THE WAY w/ HUGE head wind on the return), but was a real trooper!

Anyway, I will get some pics tomorrow. Not sure when/how/where I am going to hook them up. really need some more power (70 wpc Rotel 1050 is just not going to cut it) and I don't know when I am going to get my Rotel 1080 for them.

Also there is a problem in that the binding posts are on the BOTTOM of the speakers. I thought about running some extra wire and keeping it over in the corner and then just hooking them up when needed (they are kind of in the middle of the room) but now I am not sure how I can handle this.

Has anyone ever seen/made some sort of jumper to make a "binding post" easier to access by putting a second one somewhere else???

They are not in as good of shape as I had hoped. I am VERY meticulous about my expensive toys and these were really not up to my standards. I was told they were a 9/10, but I would put them somewhere between 7.8 and 8.2 of 10 personally... They have some pretty good nicks in them and paint chips at the very bottom of the base... 99.5% of people will NEVER see them, but I do...

Attachments

• 1171740921.jpg
    1171740921.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
James,

Looking forward to pics and impressions.. remember, keep the impressions inline and dont succumb to hype. I will say that I think you need another 1090 for this guy, not a 1080. ;)

James, why don't you connect them instead of the Prodigy's, just for a listening session ?

Because it is too hard for a guy in a wheelchair to pick up a 75# MBL not to mention a nearly 200# Prodigy to move them around... Also, even if I could move them I can't get to the binding posts to disconnect first, which is a requirement prior to moving... My wife is only 5' 4" and she wouldn't do it even if she could.

James,

Looking forward to pics and impressions.. remember, keep the impressions inline and dont succumb to hype. I will say that I think you need another 1090 for this guy, not a 1080. ;)

Joey, I would love to, but no room where the amp will go for a 1090, and if my hearing does not come back it won't matter anyway. If my hearing DOES come back I will want something along the lines of Pass/Plinius not Rotel anyway. Maybe McIntosh... Who knows... Take it one step at a time and lets see if I can hear again first.

MBL 101 Extreme... Totally Awesome...

:bowdown: James ~ your speakers in another audio show... Too Cool! :music:

Attachments

• MBL 101-extrem speakers.jpg
    MBL 101-extrem speakers.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 646
:bowdown: James ~ your speakers in another audio show... Too Cool! :music:

Robin!!! How are things going love?! Hope all is well for you and you have been making beautiful music!

I wonder what that set up would cost right there? $125k for the 101X speakers alone... Another almost $100k for the amps alone...then you have to drive it all with something. I bet that is EASILY $325k worth of gear right there! CRAZY! Oooops sorry, just looked at the pic again, that is nearly $200k worth of amps!!!

Thanks for the pic!

My system w/ the 101a's and the Rotel gear just looks SAD by comparison!

Attachments

• small101a.jpg
    small101a.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Excellent MBL System!

James,

:DEvery thing is going great! Thanks :music: The music sets me free as always... :music:
Your MBL 101a's look marvelous! I love how you have them positioned in your listening room. I was just wondering what you desided to go with as far as subwoofers with your MBL 101a system?:music:

Hey, James just had to let you know, I was able to get a sweet deal on a brand new C.F. Martin ~ CF2 (natural) guitar. I soooo stoked... :D

Love the MBL's James! Very nice indeed.

Hey, what are those brown speakers with the picture on top? Audio Acoustics maybe?:confused:

Dan thanks. The SAD speakers (they are actually the current zone 2 "A" speakers) are circa '79 or '80 Radio Shack speakers. I remember getting them on sale for $49 ea! HOW ABOUT THAT?! They still work just fine as back ground speakers.

Robin, after getting the MBL's and listening to them a fair bit I am not sure that they actually NEED a sub! Certainly they are not getting down into the low 20's but I tell you what they really sound VERY, VERY NICE, with some very good bottom end! Shocked the heck out of me actually! Before I add a sub to that set up I will get better components for it. The Rotel gear is fine if you stay at the very top of the line, but the stuff I have there is a step or two down.

Don't get me wrong, Rotel gear is plenty good for 99% of applications, but we are talking about speakers that today are truly in the top .3% of all speakers, so I would love to go w/ something from Pass labs or better still some actual MBL power! I'll keep you all posted, but don't expect anything this year.

Looking to add a Ferrari to the garage so my focus is out there right now.

Also, a few new custom guitars would be nice as well. Robin, congrats on the new Martin! Great fun! Great guitars! My fav mass produced acoustic is the Taylor 514CE. I will buy one eventually! They just have a GREAT mid range bloom that I love! Very smooth all the way around. Not to bright, not to boomey.

Be cool everyone! :rocker:

307ons6.jpg
[/IMG] How much time needs to elapse before you have to turn them over?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back