Best value in a used $2000-$2500 CD player.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclone

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on used CD players in the $2000-$2500 if you could tell me their attributes and how they compared to other players you may have had. I'm looking for a players that sound particularly good with MLs.

Last edited:
Under $2500, I would have to consider a new or used Musical Fidelity A5. The MF hybrid CD players, preamps, and amps all sound fabulous on Logans. :) The Tri-Vista SACD player is also a sweet piece, but might still be a bit above that range.

508 / 588

If you can find one, a Meridian 508 or 588 should be possible within that budget. They're still amongst the best I've ever heard, and compare very favourably with Wadia, Krell, Levinson etc for a whole lot less cash.

Cheers,

David

My system is playing host to a Mark Levinson No. 39 at the moment. It's a superb CD player with amazing coherency, smooth mids and and very nice extension at both ends of the spectrum. Detail retrieval compares, in my opinion, with SACD players. There's a lot of life left in the CD as yet, and I reckon our hard earned dollar is well spent on a high quality player.

Also, I should mention the build quality. It is outstanding. Plus the speed that this player accesses individual tracks puts nearly every other player on the market to shame.

If you can find one, a Meridian 508 or 588 should be possible within that budget. They're still amongst the best I've ever heard, and compare very favourably with Wadia, Krell, Levinson etc for a whole lot less cash.

Cheers,

David

David

Have you ever heard the Meridian G series with the Logans? I'm considering a G08 which is the next generation update on the 500 series.

Under $2500, I would have to consider a new or used Musical Fidelity A5. The MF hybrid CD players, preamps, and amps all sound fabulous on Logans. :) The Tri-Vista SACD player is also a sweet piece, but might still be a bit above that range.

Agreed. And we all know that tubes, which the a5 has, sounds great with Logans.

I've had my Cary 303/300 for almost five months now and I'm happy as a Lark. When you can find one they would easily be within your range on the used market.

Another possibility, hopefully Dan (DTB300) chimes in, are the modded players from the "Wright Bros" (I don't think they are really bros), Dan Wright of Modright and Allen Wright of VES I think. I know DTB300 is very happy with the performance of his player, modded Sony 999es I think, so check them out as well.

Cary Audio CDP1

If you have the chance, try to audition this unit. Brand new from Cary, lists for $2K, has buffering and multiple upsampling options, and IMHO, is a killer unit for the money. I replaced my Miles Theta with this unit. Summits sure confirmed the price / point value. Only downside is that it takes alot of time to break in.

You may want to check with Ron Hedrick at Marigo Audio. Ron is a Cary Audio dealer and was kind enough to allow me to audition in my system with a full money back guarantee, less shipping costs.

GG

I'd chime in on the Cary units as well. I don't have one myself, but have listened to them somewhat extensively and they are VERY musical. Gordon and Dave both seem to love theirs.

The is also a Musical Fidelity Tri Vista for sale on Audiogon right now that I can also recommend - although it's slightly above the price you're talking about spending. Still, that is an amazing player on both Redbook and SACD.

Gotta Love the Tubes...

I have been using a tubed and balanced Canary Audio player for the past few months. The sound from a tubed player DEFINITELY is very fitting with the Logans. I upgraded to NOS Mullard tubes and love the sound even more now. Heard great things about the Cary player as well, but if you are interested I'm selling my player over on Audiogon as I'm moving towards a full HT system and have my new Marantz Universal player showing up this week. Check it out if you're interested!!!

Cheers

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1173044025

Ayre CD + Logans = Heaven

I'm looking for opinions on used CD players in the $2000-$2500 if you could tell me their attributes and how they compared to other players you may have had. I'm looking for a players that sound particularly good with MLs.

At the price point you are looking for there are a few good choices as mentioned above. My favorites are Ayre and Naim.

I really like the Ayre CX7 D Player for its transparency, sense of space between the instruments, and excellent rhythm. I think this CD player is exceptional, especially with the Logans. It has received excellent reviews from both Stereophile and Absolute Sound.

Naim is very good also - it is very musical and it's hard not to tap your feet to it when it's going.

G08

David

Have you ever heard the Meridian G series with the Logans? I'm considering a G08 which is the next generation update on the 500 series.

I did audition a G08, with a view to upgrading my current system (500 series all through). I found it overly bright, and very 'pushy' at higher frequencies, whereas the 500 components give a much more neutral presentation. So I stuck with the 500 range, as I prefer the sound to the 'G'.

Cheers,

David

I would buy either an Ayre CX7 or Resolution Audio Opus 21.

But do please mention the rest of your system. It's all about matching the right player with your taste and system!:cheers:

Also consider a used Lexicon RT-10. Can be had for around 1500 USD from A'gon. Plays everything except Blu Ray or HD DVD and is awesome on CD, DVDA and SACD. A bitchin DVD player as well. Mine has been trouble free for several years and plays discs that make my pricier Ayre C5 hiccup. A superb match tonally with ML's.

Best value in a used $200 cd player

tonyc, is your system pictured anywhere?

Back