"CES ~ Las Vegas"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
This CES event in Las Vegas seems to be offering lots of high technology advances... :p From iRobot Create to all-in-one portable PC's for the living room. Bill Gates is jazzed... :D

Attachments

• Bill Gates TouchSmart All-in-one PC.jpg
    Bill Gates TouchSmart All-in-one PC.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 233
  • CES Las Vagas.jpg
    CES Las Vagas.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 237
  • iRobot create.jpg
    iRobot create.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 231
I hope you don’t mind Robin, thought I would add to your thread and post some of my favorite products being shown at CES’07. :D

Denon unveiled there new separates.

These are just prototypes, no model numbers yet, release is said to be this summer.

Denon A/V Separates
Who let the dogs out? Denon did with their introduction of their new high end A/V separates. Their new AVP sports dual multi channel surround zones, HDMI 1.3 with full Dolby TruHD and DTS HD decoding, upscaling to 1080p and Realta HQV video processing. Their monster 10CH amp weighs a whopping 140lbs with power amp assignability, bridgeable for ultra high power 5 channel applications and VU meters on the front panel display.

Audioholics video interview about the new Denon separates.
http://www.audioholics.com/ces/Denon2.html

avp2.jpg

Sony's new OLED displays.

Judging by the crowd, the security and the camera flashes around this display, I thought a rock star would be there. Instead, it was Sony's display of their "organic LED" (OLED) displays, which, according to some, could "turn the panel industry on its head" with their cost (low, once Sony is able to produce them big enough), outstanding picture quality (Sony claims a contrast ration of >1,000,000:1) and convenience (so thin you could possibly roll them up -- no joke). But, these were only prototypes. Still, they were impressive; the 11" one is just 3mm thick, and the 27" model is 10mm thick.

sony_oled.jpg

SVS AS-E01 Audyssy MultiEQ XT

The SVS AS-E01 Audyssy MultiEQ XT unit is a powerful digital audio correction device. There is a lot to like about the AS-E01, including the ability to correct for up to eight listening positions, and for up to two independently driven subs. MSRP will be between $700-$1000.

SVS_Audessy_CES%20Day%202_20070109_016.JPG

Prostat 922

Ray Kimber's isoMike demonstrations always deliver some of the most natural sound of any show he attends—and CES 2007 was no exception.
When Jon Iverson and I first entered the room, we thought that Kimber was concealing small loudspeakers behind large fabric scrims, then the nickel dropped. "Those are Sound Lab Prostats!" I exclaimed. Eight of them, actually—four pairs of Prostat 922s wired in parallel.

The Prostat 922 might not be the best loudspeaker for smaller rooms—and, like many electrostats, listener placement is crucial for stereo holography—but might be the most transparent sound-reinforcement speaker I've ever heard. Kimber's recording of a tenor sax didn't sound "canned," it sounded like the sax player really was standing 6' behind the grille cloth.

Even though the Prostat is a big speaker, the sound was properly proportioned. The only bloat evident was on the big goof standing in front of them.

Robert Deutsch adds: The total price of this over-the-top system, which I agree sounded superb, is $315,929 (including Kimber Select cables, of course).

isowes.jpg

PS Audio Power Plant Premier

Paul McGowan's $2500 PS Audio Power Plant Premier is radically different from his earlier power regenerating products. "For one thing, it's 85% efficient, which means it runs cooler and uses less energy," McGowan explained. "It has 10 Power Port receptacles with Nano Crystalline filters. It's even remote controlled."
Remote controlled?

"Yes, you can choose CleanWave or MultiWave operation and control the display."

psaudio.jpg

Pathos Acoustics

Pathos Acoustics has one of the uniquest design esthetics in audio. Paolo Anriolo and Giaani Borinato beamed with delight as Jon Iverson and I oohed and ahhed over the $8000 Endorphin CD player and $1950 InControl preamplifier.
And yes, we know there's no such word as "uniquest," but Pathos really does take unique past its normal limits.

pathos1.jpg

Pathos products don't resemble anything else in the audio world, but the $35,000/pair 150W Adrenaline Class-A monoblock is stunning even in a room packed with other Pathos gear. It's a zero feedback design and it sounded even more stunning than it looked.

pathosamptop.jpg

Shanling MC-30 music center

In the Music Hall suites, everything shouts: "NEW!" Except for the scotch, of course, which is hidden beneath tables and aged for many years.

This is the new flea-powered (3Wpc) Shanling MC-30 music center ($995). In one chassis, it combines a CD player, tuner, iPod input, and tube amplification. I especially like the concealed input selector and volume controls (mounted atop those front cylindrical supports).

shanling.jpg

KEF Goes WiFi

When Stereophile webmaster Jon Iverson speaks, I listen, so when, in a conversation the night before the Show opened, he mentioned that he felt wireless speakers would be big in 2007, I looked out for examples.
The advantage of going wireless, of course, is that for rear channels in particular, there can be no more of those significant-other–annoying wires draped across the floor. The KEF Wireless System features a transmitter that connects to the owner's A/V receiver and two matching wireless receivers, one of which is seen here powering the English company's R203/2 bookshelf speaker.

The little module features a 25W (50W peak) switching amplifier and the 2.4GHz WiFi link uses channel-hopping technology to achieve the necessary signal robustness. A second version is available as plug-in module for the KEF KHT 5000 Series lifestyle speakers and both Wireless Systems, each including one transmitter and two receivers, will be available in the first quarter of the year for $499.99.

KEFWiFi250.jpg

Philips introduces new wireless HDMI kit

Ever wanted to connect a video component to a monitor or a projector on the other side of the room but didn't want to run an expensive, unsightly HDMI cable to it? Well, Philips has introduced a set of wireless HDMI "cables" that will allegedly hit stores midyear, with a $300 price tag. I know it sounds a little contradictory to call cables wireless, but hey, I don't write the press releases or name the products.

I guess the point is in order to go the wireless HDMI route you will to connect a transceiver to both your video source and monitor, whether it's a TV or a projector. Unfortunately, the transceivers will require power, so you'll need to plug them into an outlet. They are HDCP-compliant.

Philips' wireless HDMI transceivers.

(Credit: Philips)Philips says, "Wireless HDMI is an in-room solution that can transfer a 1080p signal without any signal loss. The signal is never compressed and retains all the attributes as if it were transmitted through a standard HDMI cable. By operating in the ultra wideband (UWB) range, the wireless cable experiences no interference from traditional devices. It functions free from obstruction of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, cordless phones, microwaves, and cell phones. Additionally, the wireless HDMI can be placed anywhere within a 25 foot range--in an entertainment center, in a closet, on the other side of the room--without signal loss or degradation."

We're not quite sure how useful wireless HDMI is, but it's a cool concept, and with long HDMI cables costing hundreds of dollars, we can see how this could be an appealing solutions for those with challenging home theater setups

SWV1800_wireless_hdmi_270x180.JPG

Prostat 922

Ray Kimber's isoMike demonstrations always deliver some of the most natural sound of any show he attends—and CES 2007 was no exception.
When Jon Iverson and I first entered the room, we thought that Kimber was concealing small loudspeakers behind large fabric scrims, then the nickel dropped. "Those are Sound Lab Prostats!" I exclaimed. Eight of them, actually—four pairs of Prostat 922s wired in parallel.

The Prostat 922 might not be the best loudspeaker for smaller rooms—and, like many electrostats, listener placement is crucial for stereo holography—but might be the most transparent sound-reinforcement speaker I've ever heard. Kimber's recording of a tenor sax didn't sound "canned," it sounded like the sax player really was standing 6' behind the grille cloth.

Even though the Prostat is a big speaker, the sound was properly proportioned. The only bloat evident was on the big goof standing in front of them.

Robert Deutsch adds: The total price of this over-the-top system, which I agree sounded superb, is $315,929 (including Kimber Select cables, of course).

isowes.jpg

I wonder if they got any weird reflections off the chandelier hanging in the middle of the speakers?:haha1: :D

Excellent!

I hope you don’t mind Robin, thought I would add to your thread and post some of my favorite products being shown at CES’07.
Joe,

Absolutely no problem, be my guest, really..., I am honored because you actually went to the show. :p What an interesting event you and your pal attended. Please, please post some more photos. "We want more CES Las Vegas show photo's." "We want more..." :D

Truly lovely electronics. :drool: I think so far my fav is the Denon processor, it looks awesome! And what it can do for a HT... Wow! :drool:

Sony's new OLED displays.

Judging by the crowd, the security and the camera flashes around this display, I thought a rock star would be there. Instead, it was Sony's display of their "organic LED" (OLED) displays, which, according to some, could "turn the panel industry on its head" with their cost (low, once Sony is able to produce them big enough), outstanding picture quality (Sony claims a contrast ration of >1,000,000:1) and convenience (so thin you could possibly roll them up -- no joke). But, these were only prototypes. Still, they were impressive; the 11" one is just 3mm thick, and the 27" model is 10mm thick.

sony_oled.jpg

OMG, I think I'm gonna 'splode if they don't get these out to market soon. I've been dying for an OLED display!

Joe,

Absolutely no problem, be my guest, really..., I am honored because you actually went to the show. :p What an interesting event you and your pal attended. Please, please post some more photos. "We want more CES Las Vegas show photo's." "We want more..." :D

Truly lovely electronics. :drool: I think so far my fav is the Denon processor, it looks awesome! And what it can do for a HT... Wow! :drool:

I wish I could take credit for the info I posted but it is not my own. It is info I have gathered on the web and have posted it here as my “wipe the droll from my mouth” list. I was going to attend CES this year but my work schedule didn’t allow for it.

well if it's any indication, my Denon sounds pretty good and I've had Denon stuff most of my adult life and like the sound...

It'll be interesting to see the reviews on it when it comes out.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews on it when it comes out.

Ya' me too.

Denon does make good stuff, I would still like to get a Denon DVD-3930, I just wonder if their separates can stand up to Lexicon, Theta, Parasound, Anthem, Halcro, ETC. If this new pre-amp is as good if not better then my current Anthem Statement D1, I may have found my new pre-amp. We will see, some good stuff coming for 2007.:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back