Dual Mode HD DVD Player

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
OK all you HT gurus.....what's up with LG's Dual Mode Player ?

Will it be the way to go asuming both formats survive ??

OK all you HT gurus.....what's up with LG's Dual Mode Player ?

Will it be the way to go asuming both formats survive ??

I hope it never see’s the light of day.

I want to see one format become a standard and take over for DVD. If this player comes out that wont happen, it will be SACD, DVD-A all over again. There will be no winner a universal player means both formats will survive for a few years, and die out.

It’s possible it may never see the light of day, LG may have jumped the gun.

This may actually be a good thing. If they want to advertise HD DVD support, they'll need approval from the DVD Forum and support all of HD DVD's interactive features.

http://ces.betanews.com/entry/LG_Hybrid_BlurayHD_DVD_Player_Cannot_Be_Sold_As_Is/1168407626

"LG may have a difficult time bringing its newly announced BH100 hybrid Blu-ray and HD DVD player to the market, BetaNews has learned, because it will not receive certification from the DVD Forum. Without such certification, LG cannot publicly claim the player supports HD DVD as it is doing now.

The problem stems from the lack of support for HDi, the advanced interactivity technology used by HD DVD. LG has only included support for BD-J, Blu-ray's interactive menu system, in the BH100. Without HDi, only the video content from HD DVD discs will play back; menu systems and other interactive features will simply not be usable.

Kevin Collins, Microsoft's representative for the HD DVD group who sits on all the steering committees, says LG will not be able to sell the product and claim it supports the format if it leaves out HDi. Collins said LG provided no advance notice before announcing the BH100 player at CES, and noted he was surprised by the move.

In fact, Collins explained to BetaNews that the DVD Forum could pursue legal action against LG for claiming the hybrid player supports the HD DVD and using the HD DVD logo, just like it does against pirate hardware manufacturers in Asia that build DVD players without paying licensing fees.

LG plans to begin selling the BH100 in the first quarter of this year for $1,199 USD. But objections from Microsoft's Collins and other companies involved in HD DVD could force LG to make changes, or scrap the player altogether. Collins noted that studios would be "very upset" if consumers could not playback HD DVD movies as they were intended, with interactive menus and special features.

BetaNews was awaiting a response from LG on the matter by press time."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=784497

Thanks for the informative reply Joe, I continue to be behind the curve with alot of the HT stuff and this format war reminds me of the VHS - Betamax thing allover again.....or as you said SCAD and DVD-A !

BTW, who is winning between SACD and DVD-A??

A lot of people have compared HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray as BataMax vs. VHS. And in some ways I do agree, but in this case HD DVD/Blu-Ray in my opinion is more of a DVD 2.0 then this is a replacement like DVD was for VHS.

Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray can still play your standard DVD’s so this is more like an upgrade to DVD then it is replacement. I think a universal player would help boost sales of both HD DVD and Blu-Ray but I am afraid it will mean a slow dead for both formats like SACD and DVD-A. On the other hand if one or both of these formats can hang on long enough for player prices to can get down to $100.00 or less, they could make it in the consumer market place. Because these formats can play DVD, if the prices can come down enough the next time Joe six pack go’s to Wal-Mart to get a new DVD player his only option could be a HD DVD or Blu-Ray player thus bring him into HD.

That’s the point of HD DVD’s combo disks, one side is HD DVD and the other is the same movie on DVD. They want only the combo disks to eventually be available so consumers have to buy the combo and one day say, Hay! I have 20 movies on HD DVD I might as well go out and buy a HD DVD player to watch HD movies I already own.

Last edited:
BTW, who is winning between SACD and DVD-A??

They both lost :( classical has been sucessful... most other content is non existent. I fear this latest format war :devil:

They both lost :( classical has been sucessful... most other content is non existent. I fear this latest format war :devil:

You know, that is a very interesting observation, one that really needs commenting on. Why do you think that is? I suspect that perhaps it has to do with the kinds of people who listen to classical/jazz/instrumental and the kinds of people who listen to other stuff. What are their tastes like? I think that those who listen to the instrumental and classical stuff are more likely to be audiophiles and care about how things sound. Partly because there is just so much nuance and so much dynamic in each piece. Then look at rock, and rap, and other stuff, there tends to be a bit less nuance and dynamic in favor of repetitive beats, and very few instruments. Drums, guitars, bass guitars, and sometimes keyboards, and that's about it. Then they like to play it loud, and in the case of electric guitars, intentionally distort the sound to obtain the signature sound they are looking for.

But then going beyond this, this kind of music is not really something you can just sit and listen to critically. Sorry, but it would just be a joke. It's background music, or something to get your heart rate up, not something to sit and enjoy very often. Sure there are some exceptions to this, and I can think of several. But I am generalizing. Mp3's and ipods etc thrive because of convenience. They are extremely convenient. I own a 4 gb mp3 player (NOT an ipod) and only use it for working out in the gym. I don't really pay much attention to the music, just the way it reacts to my mood and gets my heart pumping and I have a beat to follow while on the treadmill or elliptical. Sorry, but Classical would not always have the same effect.

So what I am getting at is with music other than classical for the most part, why bother with putting it on a high resolution format? Why bother with using a lossless codec when it comes to portability? You may not hear much of a difference, and if you do, who cares?

Sure, this is just a severe generalization, but I think it illustrates a possible reason why SACD and DVD-A have very little content from sources other than classical and other instrumental or vocal.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but when I saw that observation, something hit me and I had to get my thoughts on it written out. Thanks for understanding. :eek:

-capT

They both lost :( classical has been sucessful...
IMO DVD-A lost out of the two, but SACD is not taking over RBCD by any means. The real winner in the format war is MP3 and other compressed audio formats.

SACD is mostly Classical as you stated, as many new releases come out monthly, but there is the occassional Jazz SACD released. Chesky label announced all their new releases will be on SACD.

It is because of SACD that I have become a Classical Music listener.

Dan

I hope they WILL bring it out even if they don't CLAIM that they can play HD-DVD those informed enough will know it can (if in fact they bring it out with the ability to do that) and I will then be able to go out and safely buy a player that will cover ALL my HD needs and not have to worry about it.

As for HD-DVD/BRD...WHO CARES if one wins or the other wins if every player can play BOTH formats! Same should be true for DVD-A and SACD. Is there ANY SACD player that CAN NOT play DVD-A? Who cares! Those formats did not move because most people don't want to spend the extra money on something that they CAN'T play in their cars, NOT because there are TWO similar formats!

Give me a break!

LG plans to begin selling the BH100 in the first quarter of this year for $1,199 USD. But objections from Microsoft's Collins and other companies involved in HD DVD could force LG to make changes, or scrap the player altogether. Collins noted that studios would be "very upset" if consumers could not playback HD DVD movies as they were intended, with interactive menus and special features.

BetaNews was awaiting a response from LG on the matter by press time."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=784497

Those formats did not move because most people don't want to spend the extra money on something that they CAN'T play in their cars, NOT because there are TWO similar formats!
Har Har har... Cars??? :stop: Unless you are just trying to pull our chains here. BTW, almost all of my SACD's that I own can be played in my car.

SACD and DVD-A did not take off and replace RBCD due to main stream music being so poorly recorded in the first place that the formats really did not show much improvement over their RBCD couterparts. When the initial recordings are done correctly, the format shows its real strengths. But to be fair, when RBCD is also done correctly it can also sound very good.

Dan

Har Har har... Cars??? :stop: Unless you are just trying to pull our chains here. BTW, almost all of my SACD's that I own can be played in my car.

SACD and DVD-A did not take off and replace RBCD due to main stream music being so poorly recorded in the first place that the formats really did not show much improvement over their RBCD couterparts. When the initial recordings are done correctly, the format shows its real strengths. But to be fair, when RBCD is also done correctly it can also sound very good.

Dan

The worst part are all these "hybrid SACDs" out there that purport to be near-SACD quality you can play on a regular CD player.

The worst part are all these "hybrid SACDs" out there that purport to be near-SACD quality you can play on a regular CD player.
Actually those "hybrid" discs do play in my car CD player. Of course it is so low fi I probably couldn't tell the difference. Besides, what stereo can compete with the sound of flowmasters in a convertible!

Huh??? Reading marketing BS again?

There is a RBCD Layer and the SACD layer. I have never read just becuase it is a Hybrid that it is near-SACD quality. And each has nothing to do with each other. Regular players play the RBCD layer and again has nothing to do with SACD.

Last edited:
Back