Tears For Fears - The Seeds Of Love

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Artist: Tears For Fears
Title: The Seeds of Love
Year of Release: 1989
Record Label: Mercury
Genre: Pop/Rock

This is the 3rd album from Tears For Fears and arguably their best work. It's lush and complicated and absolutely beautiful from start to finish. Sadly, this is the last record TFF made before Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith parted ways (don't fret...there's a Happy Ending).

While in Kansas City prior to recording this album, Roland and Curt went into a nightclub and heard a young singer by the name of Oleta Adams. They loved her voice and asked if she would sing on their next album. She is all over Seeds Of Love and her voice is just phenomenal. Incidentally, Roland went on to produce her first album called "Circle of One".

Anyway, back to The Seeds of Love... Track #1 "Woman In Chains" and Track #4 "Advice For The Young At Heart" are standouts, but overall the entire album is a timeless classic that sounds as fresh as it did when it was first released. I urge all of you to go buy this and give it a listen.

From Wikipedia: Much of the material was recorded in jam-sessions and later edited down. The length of the production left the band with lumbering debt and a record-company eager to cash in on lost earnings. The album retained the band's epic sound while showing increasing influences ranging from jazz and blues to The Beatles, the last of which is extremely evident in the hit single "Sowing The Seeds Of Love" - the first record ever played on Atlantic 252, the UK and Ireland Longwave Radio station. Another single was "Woman In Chains" (Top 20 hit in France, Netherlands, etc.), on which Phil Collins played drums and Oleta Adams — whom Orzabal would later guide to a successful solo career — shared vocals. The album was a worldwide success again, entering the UK album charts at no.1, and making the US top 10 (though charting lower there than its multi-platinum predecessor) and eventually going on to sell millions of copies worldwide.

Attachments

• seeds of love.jpg
    seeds of love.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Good suggestion! I have long been a fan of Tears. They have a great sound and paint huge sonic landscapes.

I do not own that album though :( I think I might pick it up now!

Good suggestion! I have long been a fan of Tears. They have a great sound and paint huge sonic landscapes.

I do not own that album though :( I think I might pick it up now!

From the era of 80's big hair bands...I LOVE IT ALL! '83 High school grad, '87 college grad I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the '80's music!

Wow.. I thought I was the only 80's freak around. I often get teased for musically living in the 80's.
BTW.. Tears For Fears put out a number of extended version singles from this album of which I have Woman In Cains, Shout and a couple of more.. They are absolutely awesome. I also saw them live with Oleta Adams and it was incredible, one of my more memorable concerts.

Whole heartedly agree with this recommendation Tom. What's cool to see with TFF is how much they progressed and changed their sound as they went through those first three albums. From the bleak austerity of "The Hurting" to the much more expanded dialog and musicianship of "Music From the Big Chair" to this album, there is a very evident maturation process going on. I recommend all three, but this one may be my favorite if for no reason other than the fact the "Big Chair" got soooooo overplayed by the pop radio stations. Still, excellent music from a band that was a major influence.

Really good observations Tim.

I really like the jazziness of "Badman's Song" and "Standing On The Corner of the Third World".

I wonder how their music would've progressed had they not split up. I have the TFF albums after they split and while good, they just pale in comparison to this one.

It's been a few years since I posted this, but I'm at work, listening to Seeds of Love on my computer right now.. For the 4th time today. Absolutely one of my favorite CD's of all time.. Simply perfect from start to finish... If you've never heard this CD, I URGE you to get it!

Yes the music is great. I remember taking two weeks off work to remodel a home before we moved in. I played their greatest hits 10-12 hours a day for two weeks straight. There are not to many albums I can listen to over and over and over non-stop.

Mobile Fidelity just released this LP on their Silver Series Label. It is very good. Highly recommended!

Bought this for a few bucks awhile back and finally had a listen the other week. Very nice CD, good acoustics and of course the music is quintessential 80's. If you have never listened to this album I would highly recommend it (especially if you like 80's music).

I'm pretty certain they stopped making new music through most of the 80's............A little jazz here and there, but not much after '77 or so.

77?
I think you're confusing them with someone else.

The Hurting (1983)
Songs from the Big Chair (1985)
The Seeds of Love (1989)
Elemental (1993)
Raoul and the Kings of Spain (1995)
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending (2004)

Hey Tom and all others, this is the real deal! Way back when in 1990 I was walking along Broadway in NYC, I had 'Woman in Chains' playing on my Sony Walkman recorded on a TDK MA-XG metal tape and who comes walking towards me but Curt! I whipped off my phones and said "Dude, you have rocked my last good nerve!!" Oleta is a Goddess, Thank You Sir! He kissed me on my cheek and Said "She sure is", I'll never forget that moment and will play the Cd today when the Summits arrive in honor and awe!!

Latest posts

Back