Would the appearance of the Summit stop you from buying it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would the appearance of the Summit stop you from buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 82.3%

• Total voters
Jeff Zaret said:
So Dan is a show off cause he has Sequel II's and CLSiiZ's well so do I and it is all Dans' fault :eek:
LOL :D :D :D Jeff

Best thing I ever convinced "US" to do.... Har Har Har...

Dan

I'm still waiting for them to put some curves in it !!!!!!! Honestly who wants to say "it's ugly but it sounds great". Actually Monday past I heard a new one, while I was in a high end store that carries ML an elderly couple were looking at a pair of Odysseys and the wife remarked to the husband that they "the Odysseys" looked too high tech for him and because of his age that he should look for something else, so I guess according to the wife we are all high tech and young !!!

I would buy them even though they look like my Oral B toothbrush when it is sitting in its charging stand :D

With the appearance, yes "she" would stop me from buying it. We don't have any ikea in our house. Maybe with other color.

I like the minimalistic/industrial look. I like the sharp edges and I love the overall look especially in the light wood cabinet and all aluminum (or is it stainless) rails. For me, the Summits are the BEST looking of all ML speakers to date - well, maybe except the Statements.

Sooo sexy! :D

Last edited:
Summit Audition

I have just gotten back after a 2 1/2 hour drive (one way) to audtion the Summits at Audioport in Overland Park, KS. This is a great store by the way. I had taken a few of my favorite CD's with me, they put me in the listening room, gave me the remotes, shut the door and left me alone. I listened to various types of music for 2 hrs before coming back out, only then was I asked if I had any questions and how soon I wanted a pair. The electronics used were all 2 channel CLASSE equipment with Audioquest cabling. This suited me just fine, since I have all CLASSE at home. I was somewhat disappointed by the Summits, after the time I spent with them my impressions were that they sounded very close to what I here from my Acsents. There did seem to be slightly more air around the instruments and the bass was the best I have heard from any ML, but we are talking tiny increments of improvement here. Maybe the Summits were not located ideally (at home I have spent a huge amount of time moving the speakers around and tweaking cabling to get the best sound and am pretty sure I am close to getting the best sound possible out of the Ascents). But I was hoping for more from the Summits.

There's 'summit' wrong with the way they look!

I couldn't see myself buying a pair of Summits.

One of the hallmarks of the ML range (apart from the superb sound quality) has always been the industrial design and pleasant aesthetics.

IMO the Summits are a complete departure from the traditional, and lack the elegance that has made the rest of the range so popular.

I have the Ascent i's and I remember a time when the look of them turned me off. Then I heard them and the look started getting better and better. Now, I really like the look of them. They don't have the build quality of Wilson or B&W's but the sound makes up for it IMHO. Even though at first pass, I don't like the look of the Summits, I can see the look growing on me. And from the pictures I have seen, it looks like ML has improved the build quality. Even though I don't like their look today, I most likely will tomorrow... ;)

Until the Summits came around, the MLs were to big and imposing for me even though I like the sound and design of prior models especially the Prodogies. Now that I have them at home and have seen others systems posted here, I think they look great. Has anyone else changed their minds now that some of us have them?????

I'm getting used to the new look and i my wife would not stop me from buying it after i showed her the differents looks that the summit can have.

Joey_V said:
I like the minimalistic/industrial look. I like the sharp edges and I love the overall look especially in the light wood cabinet and all aluminum (or is it stainless) rails. For me, the Summits are the BEST looking of all ML speakers to date - well, maybe except the Statements.

Sooo sexy! :D

It's amazing how 1 year later, I am able to quote my previous post and be in an entirely different realm so to speak. The Summits are STILL the BEST looking ML speakers in my opinion. I really really enjoy my pair!

The only thing that can pry them off my cold dead hands and from the clutches of my 100 pound Rotel 1090's speaker wires would be something along the lines of the Sonus Faber Amati or Homage. ;)

Look at Robin's thread regarding Super Systems... the unsung heroes.. for a better idea of how well the Summits look in the right decor.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2433&page=1&pp=15

It's funny, because when the Summit first came out I *hated* the looks.

Hated it.

This poll reflects that many others weren't sold on the new design direction also.

But now, when I see the Summit Vantages, I can only think "Elegant and Beautiful" and conversely the "old" look Aerius/Request/Prodigy etc look like ancient, obsolete behemoths... They look OLD. No longer artsy, just big and ugly.

This is a reversal of how I felt at first.

Odd huh.

-Allen

I feel eactly the same as you are. At first, i tought what have they done. It's ugly. But now, i really want one!

Latest posts

Back