Bi-amp or Bridge?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tony gange

I have a 5 channel simaudio titan amp to power my front three channels.
Can I bi-amp my oddysseys and if yes, what is the process?
If I bridge the amps would this give the same effect?
Thanks

I have a 5 channel simaudio titan amp to power my front three channels.
Can I bi-amp my oddysseys and if yes, what is the process?
If I bridge the amps would this give the same effect?
Thanks

Tony, Hello answer to question 1 - YES, basically you would decide on an amp for the bass drivers (say SS with good damping capability) and another for the panels(whether that be SS or Tubes).

as far as question 2 - NO , the sonic signature of the "bridged" amps is basically the same for both the bass drivers and the panels.

as far as question 2 - NO , the sonic signature of the "bridged" amps is basically the same for both the bass drivers and the panels.
Just a side note to add to Dave's response: With a bridged amp sometimes the damping factors will descrease in bridged mode and there is the possibility of the bass being affected. There is much discussion on damping factor and "does it really have an affect" on bass response. So the best thing is to audition and decide for yourself which is better.

Dan

Dan thanks for the response
I would decide for myself which is better the only problem is I'm not sure what the difference is.
Will my speaker cables be shotgun for bothbridged or bi-amped?

What adaptors do I need for either?
Thanks

I would decide for myself which is better the only problem is I'm not sure what the difference is. Will my speaker cables be shotgun for bothbridged or bi-amped? What adaptors do I need for either?
I am not familiar with that amp, so it would not be a place for me to comment. Why not contact the manufacturer for help?

Dan

Hi Tony,

I looked at the users manual and could not see that there was a facility for bridging amps without opening the case and modifying the amp so think that biamping is your only choice.

The user manual also states that there are two transformers in the amplifier and that the channels l,3,5 run from one transformer and 2,4 from the other. To share out the power I would use l,3,5 to run the panels and the centre and2,4 to run the bass drivers. You need a Y adaptor interconnect to run from each of your front speaker outputs from your processor or preamp to the appropriate inputs on your Titan. Most processors/preamp will cope with this - what are you using?

Then single runs of speaker cable from each amplifier output to the appropriate set of terminals on the speakers. The Odyssey has two sets of terminals. MAKE SURE THE JUMPER IS REMOVED OR YOU WILL BLOW UP THE AMPLIFIER WITH A SHORT.

Have fun. The internal crossovers sort out the signals for you. You may find it worthwhile to install a dedicated 20A circuit as the amp and the speakers are capable of sucking up a lot of power.

Kevin

Kevin
Thanks
My processor is a simaudio so I think I'll be Ok.
by splitting the prcessor signal what is lost if anything?
Thanks

Back