OK, this sucks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerius007

Reaction score
Just my luck, I ordered a pair of Vistas just before christmas and today was the day they came in. As you can imagine I have been somewhat excited to get them. I brought them home, took them out of the box, and only one worked. Uhmmm, what did I do wrong? I checked closer and sound was coming from the woofer but the esl panel was getting no power, no blue light. I thought that maybe I had a bad cable or outlet so I switched them around and the problem stayed with the speaker. I screwed around for a few minutes trying a number of different things with no success.

How dissapointing. Luckily my dealer stepped up and is bringing me one of their floor models as a loaner. They are going to get me another one which is fine, but now a matched pair will no longer have consistant numbers. Of course all of this happened after ML closed for the weekend so it will be a few days to find out exactly what is going to happen. You would think for almost $4000 you wouldnt have to deal with this kind of stuff.

Something probably came loose in transit. I would hope your dealer is competent enough to check the electrical wiring to the panel, cross over wires and fuses before he sends it back to Kansas.

Yes, I agree it sucks....whether its car or electrical, things break. I used to have customers say I paid $500,000 for this car how could that happen? It does. There are a lot of moving parts. So, electrical things burn out and occasionally fall out of place. It will get fixed and in the end you will be very happy. I guarentee it!!!

As far as my dealer fixing it, that is something I personally would not want to happen. If there is a quality issue ML should know about it and fix it, not expect the dealer that is selling their product to fix it as well. I could see if I had used them for a couple of months, but not straight out of the box. I assume it is something simple and not a big deal but it still sucks opening up a new set of high-end speakers and things not being what you expect.

I know it will be made right and taken care of, just not tonight.

Yes, I agree it sucks....whether its car or electrical, things break. I used to have customers say I paid $500,000 for this car how could that happen? It does. There are a lot of moving parts. So, electrical things burn out and occasionally fall out of place. It will get fixed and in the end you will be very happy. I guarentee it!!!

What kind of cars did you SELL?!!

There are not that many $500,000 cars on the market!

I did not sell them. Worked for Ferrari North America in the technical dept.

I did not sell them. Worked for Ferrari North America in the technical dept.

Ah! Well, you didn't have many $500k cars there...well, not new ones anyway. Some of the classics got up to that level and beyond in the late 80's early 90's craziness!

One of these days I will add a Ferrari 456 to the collection! They are getting down to a more affordable price level now...I think you could probably find a decent one for $75k these days. Not to bad considering they were about $230k in the late 90's! YEOW!

did you see what F40, F40LM & F50 sold for? Also, I was mainly on the 333sp program. Those sold for $1mil. Anyway, you got my point.

I got the loaner Vista. The dealer I am working with said that ML will take care of the problem ASAP and will probably want me to send back the other one. That way I will still have a matched set. He said this is the first DOA from ML he has had and he has been selling them since the early 90's.

On another note I also bought a cinema center channel. I wish I wouldnt have sold the one I owned 7 years ago.

did you see what F40, F40LM & F50 sold for? Also, I was mainly on the 333sp program. Those sold for $1mil. Anyway, you got my point.

Oh, well, yea, you are right all those cars were VERY expensive...though you can pick up F40's and 50's "cheap" (in relative terms anyway) now! LOVED the 333! WONDERFUL sounding race cars! Point received!

As far as my dealer fixing it, that is something I personally would not want to happen. If there is a quality issue ML should know about it and fix it, not expect the dealer that is selling their product to fix it as well. I could see if I had used them for a couple of months, but not straight out of the box. I assume it is something simple and not a big deal but it still sucks opening up a new set of high-end speakers and things not being what you expect.

I know it will be made right and taken care of, just not tonight.

Yeah that sucks! Customer service is the dealer's job. As a former high-end salesman I have to differ with you here. What the hell does the dealer do to justify his MSRP profit? Saying I'll ship it back to ML? No, he should open it up an check for slipped connectors. Those push on terminals can work free and that may be the gist of the problem. The dealer should turn a screw driver and at least check the unit! My $.02!

I got the loaner Vista. The dealer I am working with said that ML will take care of the problem ASAP and will probably want me to send back the other one. That way I will still have a matched set. He said this is the first DOA from ML he has had and he has been selling them since the early 90's.

On another note I also bought a cinema center channel. I wish I wouldnt have sold the one I owned 7 years ago.

Aerius, the dealer should let you keep the loaners until your new MLs come in. It's probably a simple fix but it does really suck when the anticipation is so high and something does not work out of the box. My most recent experience with this was the Ayre C5 I bought last year. The digital out was dead and I had to send it right back. I was crushed! They did make it right, however and sent me complimentary wood blocks and a break in CD. ML will make it right I am sure. I am awaiting the arrival of a pair of Summits so I am anxious to hear the outcome of your tribulations. Fortunately, I have a pair of the stores loaners now so if mine do not work I will simply keep the loaners until things are fixed. Good luck!

Fortunately, I have a pair of the stores loaners now so if mine do not work I will simply keep the loaners until things are fixed. Good luck!

Dont worry, I am sure yours will work when you get them. Like my dealer said, this was the first DOA he has had. Who knows, the shipping company probably rolled them from Kansas and something came undone.

Dont worry, I am sure yours will work when you get them. Like my dealer said, this was the first DOA he has had. Who knows, the shipping company probably rolled them from Kansas and something came undone.

Uh oh! Free association-must listen to Guess Who greatest hits-Undun, a good Sunday AM tune to get me started! Thanks, aerius!

Uh oh! Free association-must listen to Guess Who greatest hits-Undun, a good Sunday AM tune to get me started! Thanks, aerius!

Burton Cummings - one of my favorites. What ever happened to?

I had exactly the same thing with my Vistas - one was dead. The pair was replaced with another so as to keep serial numbers consistent and I'm VERY happy.

That's good news. I wouldn't accept a mismatched pair. Obviously ML are on the ball.

P.S. See if you can get the dealer to throw in a complimentary center channel for all your trouble! :devil:

Like I said I have a loaner so of course I have been listening to them all weekend. However the other one I have seems to be having a problem too. Every now and then I notice the blue light goes out and comes back on. It does it only for a second but something is not right. I guess I will have to call ML tomorrow.

Get a brand new set and do not take a mismatched set .

Back