Summit "tilt" tweak

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
After 6 months of Summit ownership, following the advice of others, I started playing around with the tilt (aka "rake") of the Summits. At least in MY room, tilting them slightly more FORWARD (almost vertical) really brightened the sound, and moved the entire image another foot forward. I like the effect, but had a heck of a time trying to adjust the feet/spikes to maintain the ideal angle. Ultimately, I found a simple solution- I REMOVED the front lower feet altogether, and let the (now hollow) short legs sink into my carpet. I converted the back feet to their "flat" (non-spiked) configuration, flush with the legs. Despite NOT having them anchored via the spikes, the bass is as tight as ever, and the entire soundstage is deeper. Of course a lot depends on your room acoustics and listening position, so YMMV.

Last edited:
Tilt Tweek Measurement

Need to find out techniques on how to measure the tilt on the Summits as I am only a 2 week old owner. Any suggestions?

Need to find out techniques on how to measure the tilt on the Summits as I am only a 2 week old owner. Any suggestions?

A 4 foot level works fine on the Vantages, you may need a 6 footer. I place the level on the back of the panel, at the apex of the curve at the top, hold it plumb, and measure the offset between the level and the bottom apex of the panel. this way the cabinet holds the level.
Hah! now that I mention a 6' level, you can just as easily measure on the front.

A 4 foot level works fine on the Vantages, you may need a 6 footer. I place the level on the back of the panel, at the apex of the curve at the top, hold it plumb, and measure the offset between the level and the bottom apex of the panel. this way the cabinet holds the level.
Hah! now that I mention a 6' level, you can just as easily measure on the front.

You could also use a laser level to make sure all are approximately the same rake angle. What I did was I placed the laser level on the back of my Summits (the cabinet part) and I marked the laser on the wall. Did that to the other side and they should match in height along the wall.

Of course, this only works if you have your speakers at a uniform plane from the wall. If one speaker is further in than the other, this will be flawed.

Joey

Latest posts

Back