Acoustic Guitar Recommendation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
Hopefully I am allowed to post this...Any thoughts on Goodall Guitars? I am looking to get a really nice guitar for my stereo room. I want to get something that is a piece of art not just a typical guitar. Thoughts????

Thanks but NOT exactly what I am looking for. I want a classic collectors guitar. Something to compliment my theme. Stereo, music & victrola collection

In all seriousness, though...the goodall guitars look fantastic. I know nothing about guitars, but think they look gorgeous. I'll stop trolling this thread now :devil:

In all seriousness, though...the goodall guitars look fantastic. I know nothing about guitars, but think they look gorgeous. I'll stop trolling this thread now :devil:

Hello Iwalker...how much do you want to spend on the guitar?...we have here in Costa Rica, three great Lutiers...all hand made with outstanding woods...happy listening, I can assure you that they are very good!!!:musicnote:
Roberto.

Hehe, It's actualy jtwrace who is looking, I am just trying to be helpful...but hardly succeeding! I'm sure he would appreciate your opinions and insight, though.

Hi Roberto,

I would say 3K max.

Jtwrace,

There are TONS of REALLY GOOD guitars out there these days. If you want a good main stream guitar that is very highly regarded and may come in at just around $3k look in to Collings Guitars! They are really amazing and many high end players are playing on Collings...most would probably perfer to play them but many get paid by someone else to have a different guitar in their hands.

Another choice and this might be the best for you since you have some specific needs and wants is to contact my good friend Kevin Pederson of Abyss guitars. He is a great christian brother of mine and an UNBELIEVEABLE guitar maker! He is doing acoustic guitars now and he can make ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE! Seriously! The crazier it is the more it will cost of course, but you can get ANYTHING you want from him. Pick the wood, pick the bindings the inlay, anything you can imagine. I think he could probably work something out for you for $3k and it would be ONE OF A KIND!

If you talk to Kevin tell him James Morrison sent you! I have 2 of his guitars now (play them ALL THE TIME...every Sunday at church) and he is working on another one for me right now...

www.abyssguitars.com

All the best and keep me posted please!

James-

Thank you. I spoke with kevin tonight. Very nice gentleman. WOW! All I need to do is send him some pics of what I want, deposit and walla. 9months to 1 year it arrives. It sounds like it will go over my budget (of course) by $1K. I will let you know what I do.

Thank you,
jtwrace

James-

Thank you. I spoke with kevin tonight. Very nice gentleman. WOW! All I need to do is send him some pics of what I want, deposit and walla. 9months to 1 year it arrives. It sounds like it will go over my budget (of course) by $1K. I will let you know what I do.

Thank you,
jtwrace

Yea, if you want quality it takes time, and money. My first guitar from him took about a year, and the second one was much less time (it was WAY less complicated, I think there are pics of both mine on the thread here about our "other hobbies" and I know both are pictured on his website...#2 The Last Supper, and #2 Ascension) he has been working on my #2 Crucifixion off and on for more than a year. I told him no rush on it...I think he will have it done for the summer or maybe the fall guitar show in Arlington.

The nice thing is that because it takes so much time to build them you can pay in installments to him over the year so it does not "hurt" so good! LOL!

Keep me posted! You can't go wrong with Kevin...he is a SUPER guy and a VERY TALENTED builder! His stuff is UNREAL!

Someday I hope to have a big enough listening room to display my dads Gibson :p Poor thing has been locked in the closet for years now :(

48rlz6v.jpg

that thing is WAY to beautiful to be in a closet. I'd put my.....

Last edited:
Not the real D'Aquisto guitar, but I'm sure it will be someday.

http://www.ariausa.com/daquisto/

Read the story of James D'Aquisto:

http://www.usd.edu/smm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Fender/10822/DAquistoUltraFenderGuitar.html

http://members.tripod.com/turboracer/guitars/daquisto.htm

And yes, somewhere down the line, we are related... Everyone spelled their name with a "c" after the A, but alot of families dropped the "c" when they came to America. My family chose not to.

I had a friend who had a Gibson L5 that he wanted to modify. He took it to James D'Aquisto's place in Farmingdale to have the neck replaced with a custom one. The work was not inexpensive, but the instrument was terrific. I went there with him to pick it up. I actually met the man.

I'm partial to Taylors but there are some amazing acoustic guitars out there.

I'd check out Augustino LoPrinzi. I have one his daughter made (it's not solid wood because it was their cheapest but it sounds fantastic).

He's a very well known classical guitar luthier but does steel string acoustics as well.

Regardless of who you go with, the wood used makes all the difference. Brazilian rosewood and Koa make fantastic looking guitars like this Taylor 12-string Jumbo in Koa:

K55b.jpg

K55e.jpg

I'm partial to Taylors but there are some amazing acoustic guitars out there.

I'd check out Augustino LoPrinzi. I have one his daughter made (it's not solid wood because it was their cheapest but it sounds fantastic).

charliemike,

That is a beauty! I am not a fan of the sound of the Koa guitars, but there is no denying that the wood is BEAUTIFUL! I too like Taylor's and I have played a BUNCH of them and my fav. is the 514CE! It is not cheap, but at about $2500 it is one of the cheaper Taylor's and it is pretty simple wood...western red cedar top, mahogany back, the 14 is the deeper auditorium model and the C is the cutaway and the E is electric, so you can plug it in. Just a very mellow full warm tone that I LOVE!

That said, I would take a custom built just for me guitar for an extra $1k or so ANYDAY over a Taylor or anything else for that matter. There is just something about saying, I want this wood and this shape neck and this inlay and this binding and getting is YOUR WAY!

Peace out guys! :guitar:

charliemike,

That is a beauty! I am not a fan of the sound of the Koa guitars, but there is no denying that the wood is BEAUTIFUL! I too like Taylor's and I have played a BUNCH of them and my fav. is the 514CE! It is not cheap, but at about $2500 it is one of the cheaper Taylor's and it is pretty simple wood...western red cedar top, mahogany back, the 14 is the deeper auditorium model and the C is the cutaway and the E is electric, so you can plug it in. Just a very mellow full warm tone that I LOVE!

That said, I would take a custom built just for me guitar for an extra $1k or so ANYDAY over a Taylor or anything else for that matter. There is just something about saying, I want this wood and this shape neck and this inlay and this binding and getting is YOUR WAY!

Peace out guys! :guitar:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.

I got my '96 912c (Grand Concert cutaway) for about $1600 and my '03 414ce (Grand Auditorium Fall Ltd) for $1300 so I paid much less than retail by going used.

I don't play 12-strings enough to justify it but I'd love one.

I can't afford true custom though.

The reason I suggested Koa was that it seemed jwt wanted it as much for aesthetic "art" as playability. Maple tops make good tonewood but are pretty dull to look at :)

I got my '96 912c (Grand Concert cutaway) for about $1600 and my '03 414ce (Grand Auditorium Fall Ltd) for $1300 so I paid much less than retail by going used.
The reason I suggested Koa was that it seemed jwt wanted it as much for aesthetic "art" as playability. Maple tops make good tonewood but are pretty dull to look at :)

Totally...go used whenever possible! I have been looking off and on for that 514CE on ebay...I'll find one at the right price when I can also afford it eventually. Not that I play my acoustic's much anyway, but when I do play for others I usually need to be plugged in... nothing I have now has anything on board. I have a Collings OM1 and an Alvarez 25th anniversary edition. Both nice but the Collings is about 3X more expensive and it sounds it! Really nice tone, but still have a hankering for the 514.

Yes jwt wants something a little more for show which is why I hooked him up with Kevin over at Abyss because he can get ANY KIND OF WOOD you want and it has some UNREAL grain to it and he can do ANY INLAY you want and his work is really more affordable than you would think! jwt will LOVE IT, and if you want to get it down off the wall the thing will play like a DREAM too!

Back