Belles 350A Reference

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade from my Sunfire Cinema Grand, I just got in the Belles 350A Reference amp to audition (250 W and 65 amps output in stereo mode). All I can say is WOW, we have a winner!

The Belles has a very simple black anodized faceplate with a single power switch and blue LED (see attached pic)... no bling here! However, it's built like a tank, with a very robust toroidal power supply, weighing in over 60 lbs.

After hooking everything up, I cranked it up, and it's LOVE at first listen. Deeper and tighter bass, and far more crystalline mids and highs than the Sunfire. The improvement was obvious with the very first track, and in fact, I had to attenuate my Summit Bass settings further than before, which then brought out even MORE midrange "bloom". And this baby isn't even broken in yet! Thus far (with only 1 hour of listening) it runs surprisingly cool for a non-switching design.

I've been reading a LOT about various SS amp designs lately, and as good as the Sunfires sound with ML's, it's pretty clear to me there's a DEFINITE advantage to MOSFET output transistors, vs. a bipolar transistor output stage (as Bob Carver uses). A recent thread on A'gon states... "any MOSFET amp will produce the same even-order distortion that tube amps produce... as opposed to the odd-order distortion produced by bi-polar transistors which sounds bad."

I'm no EE, but after listening to the Belles, I wholeheartedly agree. This is one VERY musical amp!

The Modwright and Belles seem to be the perfect match, in both sonics and cosmetics! I'll post more details and pics ASAP.

Attachments

• Belles 350A Ref.jpg
    Belles 350A Ref.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,929
Last edited:
I have heard nothing but good things about the Belles amps - glad you found the synergy you were after. And... it does look stunning when paired with your ModWright pre-amp. Here's to many, many hours of happy listening!

Thanks! I am sitting here with a "sh*t-eating grin," truly believing I have found *my* perfect amp (at least until I find my way to 100% tubes). I already emailed my dealer, telling him to process my balance due.

I've never heard such clean textural details with the Summits before. Although the sound is definitely not "tubular", it definitely rivals the sound I've heard with Craig's tube-driven (Art Audio Jota) Summits.

For anybody else interested in another review of the Belles, here's a recent discussion on AudioCircle...
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=22524.msg199965#msg199965

Hi Sleepy,
Did you give a listen to any other amps? Reason I ask is I too have a Sunfire Cinema grand amp and am looking to upgrade. I've been eyeballing the Classe line, as well as the Spectron Musician III, BAT VK500 and Simaudio Moon W5. Man, I haven't been able to give a listen to any of the above but expect I'm in for a pleasant surprise when I do take the plunge. Glad to hear you love the Belle's, from what I've read they are wonderful.

John

Mr Surf, Congrats on the new upgrade ! It looks like you are going to enjoy reacquainting yourself with your music collection !!

I had originally bought the Sunfire Cinema Grand to vertically bi-amp my Aerius i's, but ended up with wasting three channels after I acquired the the Summits. Since I'm 95% into stereo, rather than home theater, I felt a pure two-channel amp would be more musical. My wife and kids are fine with my old Yamaha RX-V1000 driving my centers and surrounds.

I was/am limited with choices as I needed a relatively COOL running amp that would work with my poorly ventilated wall unit (eventually to be replaced). I would have tried Plinius, Classe, Pass Labs, etc. if I had adequate circulation.

As it was, I had listened to the Electrocompaniet AW220 and Butler TDB 2250 (SS/tube hybrid), neither of which had great synergy with my Modwright/Summits. I was next going to consider some of the new Class D designs (like the Spectron) when my dealer offered me the Belles to audition. I had never even heard of the Belles, but the more I read, the more I liked. Since I already had $$ credit after returning the Butler, I decided to give it a listen... and am now a happy camper.

Over the next year I hope to replace my A/V wall unit with a credenza, and might step up to a higher-end design at that time.

Cool, glad you are diggin the Belle's amp. I have read nothing but good about them. I really need to go give the Summits a listen, haven't had the chance to hear em yet.

John

I really need to go give the Summits a listen, haven't had the chance to hear em yet.

John

Two caveats before you give them a listen...
1) Make sure they are PROPERLY set up, with capable amplification, in order to REALLY hear them sing
2) Make sure you have enough $$ already saved to BUY them, cuz once you hear them in a good demo, you're HOOKED!

BTW, for those interested, here's a inside peek at the Belles. I was so enthralled with the sound, I just had to pop the top and have a look! BTW, some of those cables are 8 gauge!

Attachments

• Belles 350A internal (Small).jpg
    Belles 350A internal (Small).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 4,069
Last edited:
Make sure you have enough $$ already saved to BUY them, cuz once you hear them in a good demo, you're HOOKED!

That's what I'm afraid of!!:D

Nice pic of your "unclothed" Belle's!!:eek:

Back