adding electric to wall

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerius007

Reaction score
I called my builder to have the electrician come out and retro fit some lines for my audio equipment. There is one outlet on the wall but I would like to more dedicated lines for the audio gear. Is there any special or heavier gauge wire I should ask for? Considering some people crazy amounts just for the power cables that plug in the wall there has to be a better wire for builders besides standard stuff. Who wants to put $400 (or more) worth of A/C cables into junk outlets? Doesnt make much sense to me.

Should I have a dedicated line for the logans too?

Quality 10/2 romex, on two 20 amp circuits, is what I'm using, along with Hospital Grade outlets in the walls. Do not getted dupped into those ridiculus $75-100 wall outlets, unless you want to be "kool" with alot of the wackoo's over on the "asylum" !!!

Quality 10/2 romex, on two 20 amp circuits, is what I'm using, along with Hospital Grade outlets in the walls. Do not getted dupped into those ridiculus $75-100 wall outlets, unless you want to be "kool" with alot of the wackoo's over on the "asylum" !!!
Pass & Seymour make some nice tight fitting, high grade outlets at reasonable prices from Home Depot. 5262 I believe is the model number.

Dan

Pass & Seymour make some nice tight fitting, high grade outlets at reasonable prices from Home Depot. 5262 I believe is the model number.

Dan

Exactly Dan , that's where I bought mine, less than $15 apice, if I remember right.

I spent Christmas eve afternoon putting in 3 20amp circuits in TV room. I used 10-2, its probably over kill but new ARC amps and sl3 get their own juice. I think the whole room had one 15 amp circuit before. You would turn an amp on and the lights would dim. Piece of mind if nothing else.

Plenty of Juice For Hungery Hungery ML speakers and Amplifiers...

I spent Christmas eve afternoon putting in 3 20amp circuits in TV room. I used 10-2, its probably over kill but new ARC amps and sl3 get their own juice. I think the whole room had one 15 amp circuit before. You would turn an amp on and the lights would dim. Piece of mind if nothing else.
Brad225,

Welcome to the ML Club! :D

You have given your audio gear the Christmas gift of enough juice / power which is fantastic! Congratulations! :D :D

Quality 10/2 romex, on two 20 amp circuits, is what I'm using, along with Hospital Grade outlets in the walls.

I also have a dedicated 20amp circuit for my entire system that I installed myself. It's quite easy it you have the ability and cost less than $75.

I called my builder to have the electrician come out and retro fit some lines for my audio equipment. There is one outlet on the wall but I would like to more dedicated lines for the audio gear. Is there any special or heavier gauge wire I should ask for? Considering some people crazy amounts just for the power cables that plug in the wall there has to be a better wire for builders besides standard stuff. Who wants to put $400 (or more) worth of A/C cables into junk outlets? Doesnt make much sense to me.

Should I have a dedicated line for the logans too?

You will find upgrading your AC with dedicated circuits to be the biggest bang for the buck yet with the possible exception of room treatment. I would install separate 20 amp service for the front end and another for the amp. I'd plug the Logans into the amp outlet. I use PS Audio outlets, which cost $50 each but make a positive difference.

Back