Our "other" Hobbies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin,

Very cool! I have never done any classical work...that is to hard. I have a doctor that I call on (I work for GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals as a sales rep) who is taking classical lessons, he is getting pretty good too!

I have a few acoustic guitars, but don't play them much except when I want to play unplugged on the front porch. I mostly plug'em in and turn'em up! :guitar: I try not to sing to much or the dogs start howling! My wife is the singer and keyboardist in the family!

You were also correct in your assessment of Kevin Pederson's guitars. He is VERY gifted and his guitars are in part an expression of his faith. He is more than happy to do any inlay you might want as well, but when left to his own accord his inlay's usually have their basis in scripture.

All the best, and thanks for sharing! :rocker:

My Music...

Let's hear some of your music. We can then play it on our ML and hear them sing.
jtwrace,

Thank you for asking. :D I wish, I could play some for you all to hear... I would if I could... :D Sometimes, I bring one of my guitars into work and sing / play for my clients. I just wish I could do it more often... :eek:

Photo from one of our 'open invitation' barbeques this past summer. We set the train up and invite all of our train friends to stop by and go for a ride. Anyone from the M/L group visiting New Jersey is welcome to stop by....but bring your favorite CD's (!)

Tj

TJ, Good evening ! Looks like fun , I just might take you up on that offer next year !! Have you ever been over to see the Pa Live Steamers in Rahns, Pa ??

Brilliant thread Dave. :D
QUOTE]

Robin, I'm getting a kick out of seeing all the other intrests, not to mention a diverse group of talented people !!!

BTW, that German small scale steam engine you posted the pic of, is that somewhere in Ca ??

German Small Scale Steam Engine...

Brilliant thread Dave. :D
QUOTE]

Robin, I'm getting a kick out of seeing all the other intrests, not to mention a diverse group of talented people !!!

BTW, that German small scale steam engine you posted the pic of, is that somewhere in Ca ??
Dave,

:eek: Sorry, I don't know where the photo's were from exactly, but their were about ten or so... In the other photos, this gentleman had - to scale - WWII German soldiers, military transport trucks and tanks all to scale. It was amazing. I'll see if I can find them again... ;)

Dude, that's some crazy "off roading" a friend of mine just bought a new G500 or should I say "Popemobile" !!!

While other people like to race down the track at over 100 mph...i like to take my time at under 5 mph!:D

You gotta have the toys, no matter what it is and how old you are.
I guess it keeps us going.:cheers:
I used to chase early versions of your car....
Mvc-390f.jpg

.... With a hotrodded Fiat not too different from from this one, only mine was white, back in the day:
Oh Crap 1.0_1.jpg
It only weighed about 1200 lbs, and I got about 120-130 hp to the ground, and it's two-way skidpad average was .98 - 1G. One day I was headed west on Sunset in Beverly Hills, headed for PCH. This guy in an early 308 decided I was an easy victim to show off to his Barbie Doll girlfriend. So he comes alongside of me, revs it up, dumps the clutch to bark the tires, and takes off. I dumped into Second, the tires squeaking and chattering for traction, it grabbed, came on the cam, I upshifted into Third at 8,000 rpm,SCREEECH, and a short time later I had two car lengths on him, and still pulling hard. where Sunset gets twisty it was an even worse whipping, but the guy kept trying, and pretty much the same thing happened every time. There was a guy in an L98 Corvette who could've taken me just held back and followed as a spectator. We met further up PCH at a red light and he was collapsed against the steering wheel with tears streaming down his face, unable to breathe he was laughing so hard....:rocker: Oh, and my little car sounded like a cross between a motorcycle and an F1 car with the DCOE Weber carbs opened up. That should've been a clue to the poser sumpn' wasn't quite what my car seemed to be...
But that said, the 3-series Ferraris are delightful cars to drive. Unfortunately for me I can only fit in the GTBs or the GT4s... the Spiders leave me with the need to scrunch down to be able to see through the windshield.... no headroom in them for me...

TJ, Good evening ! Looks like fun , I just might take you up on that offer next year !! Have you ever been over to see the Pa Live Steamers in Rahns, Pa ??

Never made it out that way, but then again, there are a few live steam clubs right in the area (Iron Acres, Jackson) and we havent had time to visit those, either. I spend an awful amount of time working with owners of similar 'park type' trains and we also manufacture some of our own parts; very time consuming but it helps to offset the cost of large-scale railroading.

Our train is 12" gauge BTW, so that negates the opportunity to visit most club tracks..

Tj

Tube60,

Great story about the Fiat! That is AWESOME! LOVE IT! I am not sure however that sport bikes are "more mature" than hot rod cars. Depends on how you ride or drive them I guess!

I miss my sport bike SOOO bad! If someone out there would make a sport bike w/ retractible training wheels so I could get on and get going I would LOVE IT! Actually a guy in CA already has. Stewart Goddard is the rider and a friend built it for him. He is in a wheelchair with an injury about the same level as mine, so I know it can be done. One of these days...probably do it to a new ZX14 or a Hayabusa.

All the best and be careful on that bike!
:rocker:

That was a cool story Ross.:)

Oh baby, 8,000 rpm!! i can just hear what it sounded like with Weber carbs open up.

And yes, i too is having a hard time getting in. LOL!:D

After 14 years, of ownership, i came to conclusion that it's me and not the car.:p

.... With a hotrodded Fiat not too different from from this one, only mine was white, back in the day:
View attachment 2880
It only weighed about 1200 lbs, and I got about 120-130 hp to the ground, and it's two-way skidpad average was .98 - 1G. One day I was headed west on Sunset in Beverly Hills, headed for PCH. This guy in an early 308 decided I was an easy victim to show off to his Barbie Doll girlfriend. So he comes alongside of me, revs it up, dumps the clutch to bark the tires, and takes off. I dumped into Second, the tires squeaking and chattering for traction, it grabbed, came on the cam, I upshifted into Third at 8,000 rpm,SCREEECH, and a short time later I had two car lengths on him, and still pulling hard. where Sunset gets twisty it was an even worse whipping, but the guy kept trying, and pretty much the same thing happened every time. There was a guy in an L98 Corvette who could've taken me just held back and followed as a spectator. We met further up PCH at a red light and he was collapsed against the steering wheel with tears streaming down his face, unable to breathe he was laughing so hard....:rocker: Oh, and my little car sounded like a cross between a motorcycle and an F1 car with the DCOE Weber carbs opened up. That should've been a clue to the poser sumpn' wasn't quite what my car seemed to be...
But that said, the 3-series Ferraris are delightful cars to drive. Unfortunately for me I can only fit in the GTBs or the GT4s... the Spiders leave me with the need to scrunch down to be able to see through the windshield.... no headroom in them for me...

Tube60,

I am not sure however that sport bikes are "more mature" than hot rod cars. All the best and be careful on that bike!
Takes maturity to responsibly ride a bike that can out-accelerate a McLaren F1! If I rode a bike like that back in the day I would've killed myself on it. 'Course back in the day my bike would've outrun GP bikes back then...
On the street I learned my lesson not to get stupid, and it took me twice, while I still had that Fiat: one night I was at Chatsworth & Zelzah in the San Fernando Valley, a popular street racing spot. I was racing and slowly beating a 5.0 Mustang, and a little old lady with a shopping cart decided to make a run for it in front of us. I braked as hard as I could ( I way out-braked the 'Stang ) and I missed her by inches; in fact her long coat flew up around her from the slipstream off my car. If I had delayed my braking by a millisecond, I would've killed her. The second and final lesson for me was the day I outran the Malibu Sheriff. I was coming down Piuma Rd above & behind Malibu. I was using the e-brake to get the tail out around the corners (the car was FWD) and The Man came around the corner, headed the other way. I was pointed straight at his door and the look on his face was::eek:. Piuma Rd is a switchback type road, and the only thing he could do was charge up the mountain to the lookout point, with all his lights going, to turn around. I took off, and by the time I passed the fire station near Saddle Peak Lodge, I had just upshifted into Fourth at about 95 mph and 9,000 rpm. I barely stopped in time for the Malibu Canyon Rd intersection, wherethen I skidaddled home, put my car in the garage, and I swear if I could've fit under my bed to hide, I would've! In either case, I could have killed myself, a pedestrian, or the officer who gave chase could've been hurt or killed. I've never done anything that dumb since. The only ticket I've had since then was from a revenue trap. 21 years with no tickets or at-fault accidents ain't bad!:rocker:
My Honda is my favorite "other hobby". It's the nearest thing to flying that I can afford, and even keeping within the law it's great fun. I wouldn't miss it for anything.

I miss my sport bike SOOO bad! If someone out there would make a sport bike w/ retractible training wheels so I could get on and get going I would LOVE IT! Actually a guy in CA already has. Stewart Goddard is the rider and a friend built it for him. He is in a wheelchair with an injury about the same level as mine, so I know it can be done. One of these days...probably do it to a new ZX14 or a Hayabusa.
All the best and be careful on that bike!
I'd like to do a Lightcycle replica from the movie Tron. Prone position much like my sportbike, Hayabusa or ZX-14 powertrain out back, paddle shifters.... yeah! And of course retractable training wheels for parking & stuff. Hate to think how fast it would be.... Drag Cd I'd estimate around .21; way better than a motorcycle!

That was a cool story Ross.:)
Oh baby, 8,000 rpm!! i can just hear what it sounded like with Weber carbs open up.
Actually it sounded like a flat crank Ferrari V8, with intake noise from the Webers a little higher pitched. Different story at low RPMs or at idle. Even though it was only 1300ccs, it had 86mm cylinder bores, so with the exhaust I built for it, it rumbled like a small-block Chevy. Pedestrians would do a triple take seeing a Mini-Cooper sized car sounding like a Camaro! The local Mini owners knew about me and wouldn't come out to play. My car I had down to about 6.5 seconds 0-60 while they were in the 9-12 range.... but part of that was due to my using a transaxle from the wagon that was built on the same chassis..... it was geared numerically higher. Final drive ratio was 4.72:1, and Fourth wasn't direct like most 4-speeds; Fourth was 1.27:1. That meant at 55 mph the car was turning 4,500 rpm, which was even higher than my motorcycle turns at the same speed!:eek:

I had my Hurricane 600 up to its top speed of about 150 several times. Never around traffic of any significance, it is CRAZY fast when you are tucked under the bubble!

I have had my 928 GTS's up over 165 a few times.

Borrowed a friends '01 911 Twin Turbo and went 175 in that car. AMAZING! All this on back roads WAY out of town...no traffic laser straight LONG sight lines.

I leave the crazy cornering speeds to the race track. I have driven about 7000 miles on race tracks all over TX and the south here, and probably instructed High performance driving students another 10,000 miles. I have not done any instructing in the last 2 years, but did it for 7 years very actively. Mostly with the Porsche club but also some other groups in the area.

Keep the rubber side on the road guys!

I have had my 928 GTS's up over 165 a few times.
In 1986 I drove the 928S4 that was in Porsche N.A.'s press fleet. By God that thing was fun! Took me awhile to get used to the dogleg First gear though..:eek:
I've had my Honda over 150 indicated on an empty road, and it was still pulling hard and trying to peel my hands off the handlebars.... I figured my curiosity was satisfied!:D

In 1986 I drove the 928S4 that was in Porsche N.A.'s press fleet. By God that thing was fun! Took me awhile to get used to the dogleg First gear though..:eek:
I've had my Honda over 150 indicated on an empty road, and it was still pulling hard and trying to peel my hands off the handlebars.... I figured my curiosity was satisfied!:D

Here's a shot of my old TT in action near Rachael, NV (near Area 51). Freshly chipped, new blacktop, flat open area with cars and radios posted about 5 miles apart to make sure there was no other traffic around. The thing that impressed me most was the noise..

Attachments

• TTTop.jpg
    TTTop.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 137
Tim, my friend, YOU are a MAD MAN!! :) I must get a ride with you.

Oh, BTW Area 51 Does NOT Exists.:rolleyes:

Here's a shot of my old TT in action near Rachael, NV (near Area 51). Freshly chipped, new blacktop, flat open area with cars and radios posted about 5 miles apart to make sure there was no other traffic around. The thing that impressed me most was the noise..

Back