Our "other" Hobbies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had too many hobbies in my short adult life. R/C vehicles, Mountain bikes, 4x4s, drag racing, HiFi, computer modding, sports...... I wish I could afford to do them all at once!!!! :p

Besides painting zebra stripes on my old Geo Tracker I like to let my mind travel by designing just about anything. I find model building to be an outlet for a world which seems bent on crushing anything creative, anything different.

Just a few of my models or design studies I've made over the years.

gallery_181_6_26930.jpg

I also do my best to keep an old Porsche on the road. You know one of those noisy air-cooled rear engined things. 1977 Porsche 911 targa.

And then there is my hovercraft, and on-going hovercraft experiments.

Link to old hover thread:
http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=412

Current hover thread:
http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=962

I like to fish and other activities that get me active and outdoors. Because as you know my other hobby of misic and listening is rather passive and couch potato-like.;)

Tom and MiTT,
Glad to see that there are other bicyclist on the forum. I've have two Treks, a vintage 2300 carbon tubed road bike (circa 1994) and a 9800 full carbon mountain bike (circa 97). I'd love a new bike, but my audio affliction has been eating away what little spending money I can save up. I've never been into racing just rec riding. This past summer I started commuting to work.

Joe, or should we call you Steve McQueen. Nice Mustang and 425hp?! Oh my! And a Dodge Magum too?? Nice.

Music, Xbox360, Playstation3, Fast cars i don't know how you do it. You are "the man", Joe:rocker:

Joe, interesting "Stang" ya got there, what mods have you got into the 289 to get those big HP numbers out of her ??

Tom and MiTT,
Glad to see that there are other bicyclist on the forum.

I agree. It seems that cars and bikes are a common theme. Mt. Biking is definitely a passion of mine also. I have had the privilege of riding in some of the finest locations that North America has to offer. Moab twice, Fruita and Vail in CO, Big Bear in CA, Various trails around Mt. Rainier WA, Various spots on Vancouver Island, BC, and copper country Copper Harbor, MI UP. I have had a number of bikes over the last 5 years but my favorite is my current Ellsworth ID. When I get tired of pedaling, I twist the throttle on a the KTM 300 2 stroke and throw some dirt around. While I still ride the pedal road bike (Orbea Euskaltel Euskadi team replica) I have given up the ride on the Ducati due to too many crazies on the road. I'll always be on the dirt though.

Moab twice, Fruita and Vail in CO, Big Bear in CA, Various trails around Mt. Rainier WA, Various spots on Vancouver Island, BC, and copper country Copper Harbor, MI UP.

Copper Harbor.....What were you doing out that way? I've been on a number of Copper Country Cruises (by car).

Copper Harbor.....What were you doing out that way? I've been on a number of Copper Country Cruises (by car).

My finace's mother is from Calumet and both of her parents went to Tech. Last year they built a cottage about a 1/2 hour south of Copper Harbor that looks out onto Lake Superior. It's a pretty amazing place but damn is it far. It's amazing that you can drive for 12 hours and never leave the state. Her dad took me on the Copper Country Cruise my first time up there.

My finace's mother is from Calumet and both of her parents went to Tech. Last year they built a cottage about a 1/2 hour south of Copper Harbor that looks out onto Lake Superior. It's a pretty amazing place but damn is it far. It's amazing that you can drive for 12 hours and never leave the state. Her dad took me on the Copper Country Cruise my first time up there.

I agree, it's quite nice up there. My wife went to Tech. The Superior shore line is awesome. I also did some kayaking up there (used to have a sea kayak). That lake never wams up. The thing that you have to watch out for is black flies and skeeters. The flies can carry a full grown man off and the 'skeeters can suck you dry during the season.

There's a retirement home in Calumet that sells pasties on line. They're d@mn good....

www.pasty.com

My other expensive hobbie.

You gotta have the toys, no matter what it is and how old you are.

I guess it keeps us going.:cheers:

Attachments

• Mvc-390f.jpg
    Mvc-390f.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 181
Dilemma

Who would have thought that my first post to this forum would be about the other thing that sucks money out of my pocket. So is it a new amp for the Vantages or sway bar, brakes and track day wheels and tires for the coopa?:confused:

I am caught between a Vantage and a Cooper. :rolleyes:

102.jpg

My other hobby is doing the unthinkable to my SUV.:p You can click on my signature for some videos.

Why is cycling so popular. Well mine is cycling too. Also photography. Why are all these expensive hobbies? Also of course, our beautiful little labradoodle, Charlie gets a lot of attention! And spending time at our holiday house at Shoal Bay doing nothing.

Time in the saddle is much like time listening to music - it takes you to another place, free from whatever worries you may have. Damn, I need to go for a ride!

Amey, I think MiTT hit it on the head with this comment about why cycling is so popular. I couldn't agree more with this statement. Whenever I am on the bike or on the couch in front of the Logans, all of the stresses from the day are gone!!!!

My other hobby is doing the unthinkable to my SUV.:p You can click on my signature for some videos.

Dude, that's some crazy "off roading" a friend of mine just bought a new G500 or should I say "Popemobile" !!!

Race car pics

Here I am at the track in my 1980 928 Euro S built to the Porsche Club of America club racing GT2R specs. I still need about 200 more HP to actually be competitive in class, but it sure is FUN TO DRIVE!

Attachments

• IMG_5698-.jpg
    IMG_5698-.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5683-.jpg
    IMG_5683-.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 170
Tim, your paintings are very nice. I like the way you placed the colors in a way that it makes it very interesting. It's pleasing to the eye. Very nice work! Here are a few I did a few years back with my computer. I work take actual photos that have been scanned in and modify with Photoshop. The images don't do justcie as if you held the actule artwork and your hand they appear 3D looking with texture. I just wish I had more free time to do some more. ENJOY!

http://www.q-tekhost.com/myart/

Last edited:
Tim, your paintings are very nice. I like the way you placed the colors in a way that it makes it very interesting. It's pleasing to the eye. Very nice work! Here are a few I did a few years back with my computer. I work take actual photos that have been scanned in and modify with Photoshop. The images don't do justcie as if you held the actule artwork and your hand they appear 3D looking with texture. I just wish I had more free time to do some more. ENJOY!

http://www.q-tekhost.com/myart/

George - nice images. I especially liked the one of the poppies, I think you titled it "Joy". I'm sure the photo's don't do them justice.

As you said it best - if only we had the free time to work on these things we enjoy so much. I put "Time" on my Christmas list, but I don't think anyones been able to find it in the stores.

Other Hobbies...

Brilliant thread Dave. :D

You guys have some exciting as well as interesting other hobbies...:D

I love to go for walks / hikes, play guitar and sing, and take photographs.

I find singing while playing rhythm guitar is so relaxing, I play Classical, Acoustic and Electric guitars.

Attachments

• Me On The Radio.jpg
    Me On The Radio.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Me Playing the Guitar.jpg
    Me Playing the Guitar.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 154
Photography is a Blast...

I am a visual person, so with photography I find release and so much enjoyment... :D

Attachments

• My Camara.jpg
    My Camara.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 162
Let's hear some of your music. We can then play it on our ML and hear them sing.

Back